Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021

MAG5035

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

No offense to DT, but I don't understand his map. How can his "up to 1" line go up directly against his 3" line?

Shouldn't there be a 1-3" area somewhere in between?

I think he has been doing it that way close to 20 years. The intent is to look at the lines and project based on what lines u are between and/or near. 

But you are right, those gaps can get pretty tight in some areas, plus he goes from <1 straight to 3 in this case. So if you are 20 miles east of the 3” line, no clue if he is thinking “almost 3” or “under 1”. Then you hit the 6” line 30 miles the other way 

Plus it doesn’t account for local climo factors. Much better ways to present it these days. 

6 hours ago, kerplunk said:

That really does suck. Sorry to hear about it. Hopefully you can find an insurance company that looks at individual situations instead of going by blanket company policies. Know that may be a long shot, but wishing you the best.

Thanks! I'm hoping that someone will see my 20 years of safe driving and make an exception to the recent experience requirement.

As for the weather, it appears that the rain is going to be the biggest issue. Some of the models are creeping up to the 4 inch mark for tomorrow in my "backyard". That kind of rain, along with the currently saturated soil will cause BIG problems if the high wind gusts mix down to the surface.

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

No offense to DT, but I don't understand his map. How can his "up to 1" line go up directly against his 3" line?

Shouldn't there be a 1-3" area somewhere in between?

I agree... but I’m just happy to be going to sleep on the night before Christmas Eve with a good amount of snow on the ground.

We might lose most of it tomorrow except for the large plowed and shoveled piles. Hopefully we can manage a dusting to perhaps a heavy coating on Christmas morning to add to the festivities.

Here is the 7 day pattern on the 12z EPS for the first week of January. I also included the 7 day precip anomaly showing above normal precip up and down the East coast.

It is like someone allowed @pasnownut and I to draw the map!

We just need to be patient and this pattern should deliver some snow by the first week of January.

F161F033-C29A-4A21-B433-C3977E7C64E1.png

9820E324-58E7-4EA3-BBE1-B21AAFF111DB.png

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Check out CTP's briefing package for today into this weekend. It's 15 pages long...

https://www.weather.gov/media/ctp/Briefing/briefing.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1wbiwd-OmTl_PQHqDbaeS1nOTxFpu-YxC3VMGz-9H1xl1v0aZ0Zeh6rJw

Crazy weather day in store for us this Christmas Eve!

I am happy to be waking up on Christmas Eve morning with snow on the ground!

Hopefully those 4 hours of sleet that we didn’t enjoy last week will help to fight off the melting from the rain and 1 day warm up today!

Maybe we can get a fresh coating of snow for Christmas morning?

I know you are all thinking snow. I am here in Williamsport trying not to think of the mess we will get from 25" of snow that is mostly still here, temperatures in the 50s, several inches of rain and a Christmas Day refreeze.  I can't think of the last time something like this happened.  This is quite a collection of extremes. 

26 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

I know you are all thinking snow. I am here in Williamsport trying not to think of the mess we will get from 25" of snow that is mostly still here, temperatures in the 50s, several inches of rain and a Christmas Day refreeze.  I can't think of the last time something like this happened.  This is quite a collection of extremes. 

It’s called 2020. :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CoralRed said:

One weather App was showing us picking up 3.35" of rain. :mellow:

Last time something like that happened was 1996 10 people died from the flooding. 1000's displaced.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, canderson said:

Predictions have the Susquehanna in Harrisburg reaching 19’ Saturday - that’s moderate flooding here. Basements impacted mostly. 

That is insane given how low the river has been. The stream of moisture fetch from the gulf up to the East Coast is also insane. 

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Predictions have the Susquehanna in Harrisburg reaching 19’ Saturday - that’s moderate flooding here. Basements impacted mostly. 

Upstream river forecast crest numbers are getting a bit scary.

• Sunbury - mod flood - 27 ft
  • Danville - mod flood - 26.6 ft
  • Bloomsburg - mod - 26.4 ft
  • Wilkes Barre Courthouse - major - 33.7 ft
  • Meshoppen - moderate - 36.4 ft
  • Towanda - Moderate/Major 24ft
  • Waverly - major - 20ft

these types of numbers are looking an awful lot like January 1996 style numbers. And NWS-Binghamton is hinting there may be some chunks of ice in the Susquehanna as well, which may make things worse if they jam under a bridge. Let's hope this isn't the case on Christmas day.

39 minutes ago, dcfox1 said:

Seems like the heavy rain has been in upper sus valley and NY state where they had the most snow. All that is coming down here to LSV. It would be much worse if not for the low river levels. Not related but what was the year of the big Ice storm 8 or so years ago. I lost power for 2 1/2 day. 

Agreed. This front is hardly making it to the east all day with a surge of moisture continuing to come up from the south. 

If my house floods, that’s the least of my worries. The capitol will be underwater essentially LOL. 

My house is about 35-40 feet above the swatara about 6-7 miles from the Susquehanna. It gets high but we joke that if our house floods so will all of Hershey and Middletown.

Have measured 1” rain so far with a high of 40.8º and now sitting at 40.1º.

Am assuming temps may rise some ahead of the front, but so far we’re way below the predicted 50º.

Only have about 3” of snow left on grassy areas. Lots of dirty snow piles. Would be nice if we could get enough to whiten everything for tomorrow.

Wishing everyone good luck with the potential flood situation. Nobody needs that at any time of the year!