Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Monday, November 30, 2020 Heavy Rain, Strong Winds, and Severe Convection

weatherwiz

Really no thread on this???

Looks like ingredients will align on what should amount to a fairly widespread severe weather event with damaging winds and perhaps a few isolated tornadoes from the mid-Atlantic through southern New England. Forecast models really hinting at a rather impressive surge of instability with very strong dynamics. While we will also have a temperature inversion to contend with, there should be strong non-convective wind gusts as well (30-40 mph). Scattered power outages, flash flooding, and damaging winds all in the cards for tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Looks like ingredients will align on what should amount to a fairly widespread severe weather event with damaging winds and perhaps a few isolated tornadoes from the mid-Atlantic through southern New England. Forecast models really hinting at a rather impressive surge of instability with very strong dynamics. While we will also have a temperature inversion to contend with, there should be strong non-convective wind gusts as well (30-40 mph). Scattered power outages, flash flooding, and damaging winds all in the cards for tomorrow.

Really?   Tornadoes?  Haven’t heard anything like this from local METS? 

3 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

We tried to tell em. They always say meh and then it roars. We know what’s coming 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

40 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It’s gotta be obliteration in Tolland by this point. Every time I turn around heavy, heavy damage in CT seems to be the buzz here on the forums. 

It’ll be 50-55 mph gusts like these events always are.  You can put it in the bank. Scattered tree and power line damage. Elevated CT always rips 50-55 mph gusts in these and over 60 in the high end ones. It’s all valley and sea level SE of here so nothing stops the winds as they hit the hills . BOX has a bunch of new mets that don’t understand CT topography 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

It’s gotta be obliteration in Tolland by this point. Every time I turn around heavy, heavy damage in CT seems to be the buzz here on the forums. 

Trees have taken a pounding the last few years in my area. Between three tornadoes in five years, a siggy ice storm and Isaias, to say nothing of the damaging October nor'easters in recent years, it's been a rough run. Way more damaging events than I ever remember as a kid.

39 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Trees have taken a pounding the last few years in my area. Between three tornadoes in five years, a siggy ice storm and Isaias, to say nothing of the damaging October nor'easters in recent years, it's been a rough run. Way more damaging events than I ever remember as a kid.

UN disaster aid being air-dropped overhead as you typed that?

• Haha 2

That is one impressive LLJ modeled to traverse CT/RI/SE MA afternoon into the evening. The core of the LLJ max too also arrives while we still have some daylight so that will help with winds too (some better mixing). Then towards evening you get an impressive surge of CAPE...even some very weak surface based CAPE...but you get any sfc based CAPE in this environment and you're going to get winds. T'storms should have potential to produce 70 mph wind gusts. I think you'll see quite a bit of power outages tomorrow 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

That is one impressive LLJ modeled to traverse CT/RI/SE MA afternoon into the evening. The core of the LLJ max too also arrives while we still have some daylight so that will help with winds too (some better mixing). Then towards evening you get an impressive surge of CAPE...even some very weak surface based CAPE...but you get any sfc based CAPE in this environment and you're going to get winds. T'storms should have potential to produce 70 mph wind gusts. I think you'll see quite a bit of power outages tomorrow 

FBF71368-D97F-470A-902D-FF645811724A.thumb.png.7f5788fd083eff4bfa68518b2080f64d.png

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

That BOX has 35-40 is hilarious. Whomever issued that map has no iota of SNE Climo knowledge in these SE screamer events. You can basically draw a line from about SE VT down to BDL or just east down to Madison .anywhere east of that line gusts 50-55 mph with the highest over the shore and elevations. That’s in the normal events which this one is. This looks almost identical to the one on Nov 15th. They didn’t have HWW or even advisories and everyone east of that line gusted 50-60mph prior to the fine line squall line