Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro ensembles are kind of a mess....not very cold, but there is a chance if things line up perfect. You can see the PNA ridge which has been there all along, but the plethora of waves to the east are kind screwing with the solutions. I agree with you that the stemwinder cutoff in the lakes is unlikely.

Nov23_EPS204H5.png

Looks like we have a wave train before things shift around later in the 11-15 day.

• Like 1

heh...  you know guys - we may never get a idealized pattern construct out of the next 45 days anyway -

we may have to deal with working out chicken salad out of chicken shit - but I'd take the EPS look and run with it if I were a winter enthusiast faced with the previous -

That looks like home grown marginal cold sufficiency to me to be honest - or within range...and those waves could easily morph into a repeat storm scenario... Have to remember, these correction periods are always a problem in the guidance ...at the thresholds of mode changes.  you know this ...for the general consumer -

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

heh...  you know guys - we may never get a idealized pattern construct out of the next 45 days anyway -

we may have to deal with working out chicken salad out of chicken shit - but I'd take the EPS look and run with it if I were a winter enthusiast faced with the previous -

That looks like home grown marginal cold sufficiency to me to be honest - or within range...and those waves could easily morph into a repeat storm scenario... Have to remember, these correction periods are always a problem in the guidance ...at the thresholds of mode changes.  you know this ...for the general consumer -

The pattern does get better as Scott said beyond that...it's still not "great", but you'll note how the low heights/vortex has retrograded from AK/Bering Strait back into eastern Siberia/Kamchatka....into a Aleutian Low/+PNA/neutralish EPO pattern. But we'll see...that's at the end of the run once again.

Nov23_EPS360.png

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

We like marginal.  Means icy. 

• Weenie 1

K, manual relo of this post - lol:

"..At that range (360) ?   (EPS mean) mm I'd say that's pretty amped frankly - usually by then entropy has taken over and we end up in the annular look, such that even smaller 'formulaic' structures should be of interest if they are capable of cutting through the morass of a spaghetti layout and still have that signal  - 

In any case, I bet there are a handful of members that are pretty tall in the west... even if there are those that are flatter, too

Edit, sure if this is Dec in nature move it -

23 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

why are we getting a nino pattern

Yeah it's weird. Hard to find other moderate Ninas (or stronger) that show this behavior. As I mentioned earlier, 1975-1976 did have a similar pattern that lasted quite a while, but I don't know of any others that weren't weak (like '95-'96)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The pattern does get better as Scott said beyond that...it's still not "great", but you'll note how the low heights/vortex has retrograded from AK/Bering Strait back into eastern Siberia/Kamchatka....into a Aleutian Low/+PNA/neutralish EPO pattern. But we'll see...that's at the end of the run once again.

Nov23_EPS360.png

Yeah, looks like we start to cool Canada at the end of the run. That’s a pretty abrupt change on the weeklies for the first half of December. Last Friday it pretty much a Niña pattern for the month of December 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Marginal cold for SNE means I should be good to go up here. Warm/wet and cold/dry patterns suck.

You won't get the full NNE experience until it finally gets cold enough and then all the sudden the storms start exiting stage right in a suppressed pattern of "Congrats south of the Pike".

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You won't get the full NNE experience until it finally gets cold enough and then all the sudden the storms start exiting stage right in a suppressed pattern of "Congrats south of the Pike".

Hopefully we don’t go right from this shit pattern to that heartbreak pattern. A string of strong coastals in the Gulf of Maine with temps in the 20s would be nice first. :)  

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We’re past that I’m sure. Not to say that can’t happen, but that stretch of virtually 3 seasons where you guys were fringed, probably won’t be repeated for awhile.  

I just remember Eyewall moving from North Carolina to BTV... and then BTV didn't record a single warning criteria snowstorm at the airport for two full winters, lol.

Hopefully Phin brings NNE better luck.

37 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I just remember Eyewall moving from North Carolina to BTV... and then BTV didn't record a single warning criteria snowstorm at the airport for two full winters, lol.

Meanwhile scooter had like 8 warning events and a couple of 20 inchers. :lol:

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Meanwhile scooter had like 8 warning events and a couple of 20 inchers. :lol:

A dark time in our NNE snow history.  Like 2010 in SNE watching some in mid-Atlantic rack up 80-100" on the season.  It was pretty much that season's absurdity (south) and heartbreak (north), set just a bit further to the northeast.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

We won't wait as long to kick phin to the curb as we did with eyewall if winter doesn't produce, Shorter trip back to the MA region, Ha ha.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1