• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    First tracks
    Newest Member
    First tracks

November Banter 2020

23 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

I think that the high school students intuitively see through the bullshit... that if society is going to use a twitter fad to virtue signal its way in to some sick "tyranny of the masses" alternate reality at their expense.. to rob them of the american teenage experience.. then why should they give an F?  

Oppositional defiance isn’t always a good thing. Setting aside whether it actually is BS, even if it were so what?  Lots of necessary things in life invariably will be something some individuals think is BS. Rules. Regulations. Standards. Hoops we have to jump through. Having the attitude you express here will set anyone up for a difficult frustrating life if they think they can just blow off any obligation they don’t personally think is important. It’s not good for their growth as individuals and its not good for the future of our society. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You think the staff, many of which include high risk individuals, feels that way? 

I honestly think that people should just protest, in concert, and not pay taxes... 

46 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

I honestly think that people should just protest, in concert, and not pay taxes... 

So your going to not pay what funds the thing you want open. Sound logic 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Hoco voted virtual through quarter three. Argue on.

With the way things are going they weren't going to meet the <5% positivity or <10 per 100k thresholds anyways. 

I bought an RV and decided to make the best of the situation. My kids can do school on the road and we can find some outdoor areas to explore. My employer isn't bringing anyone back into the office until at least July 2021.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

With the way things are going they weren't going to meet the <5% positivity or <10 per 100k thresholds anyways. 

I bought an RV and decided to make the best of the situation. My kids can do school on the road and we can find some outdoor areas to explore. My employer isn't bringing anyone back into the office until at least July 2021.

That’s a great attitude. Well done.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 40westwx said:

If the virus doesnt spread in school.. where the hell is going to spread?  Second to  college dormitory or prison, i cant see a better place for it to spread.  People have gone completely nuts.. if there really are studies or journal article or msm reports out there that say that the virus doesnt spread in school.. I beg you to read carefully .. to read between the lines.. to see how those articles are being used to weaponize information.. get woke

I don't need to "read" about  the hundreds of successful school reopenings ( though I have ) . It's happening in real time  literally just 1.5 miles to my north :) in Pennsylvania.  Hundreds of districts have been back for months including some of the biggest in the country and this success is repeated around the world. I have relatives in Southwest Pa and South central Pa that have had their kids back ( not just hybrid)  but K - 9 ...5 days in 100% since August with HS following shortly thereafter. 

31 minutes ago, CAPE said:

clean up on aisle 7?

i just hide and move on. eventually guilty parties will figure it out

I can always tell that when I see a couple new pages of posts added to banter and when its too early for a snow storm that its filled with posts that are hidden.

Just now, H2O said:

I can always tell that when I see a couple new pages of posts added to banter and when its too early for a snow storm that its filled with posts that are hidden.

We need snow.

• Like 1

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

We need snow.

I would love that.  I would also posit that we(not just us here) need a lot more empathy and compassion.  

• Like 3

Well I dont get it... this place has been dominated by reopen schools chatter for the last several months and I point out that the Howard County is double-dipping and it gets censored...

10 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Well I dont get it... this place has been dominated by reopen schools chatter for the last several months and I point out that the Howard County is double-dipping and it gets censored...

defunding howard county schools isn't the answer. and those who are discussing schools aren't throwing in asanine statements when they do so. most of your posts go from standard ranting to off the wall theories that have no place here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I mean, shit man, just last week you were saying screw all restrictions, open everything and let the virus run rampant. this isn't the place for that nonsense. 

• Like 5

I don’t think that those of us who think the reaction to this virus has been, for lack of a better word, dubious, are necessarily crazy. We just have a different opinion. Not subscribing to “group think” is not wrong, but is necessary to maintain a free society.

I thought the poster made a couple of good points. We are entering the cold season, the season in which viruses tend to run wild. This surge shouldn’t have been unexpected. The other point is that we aren’t in control. We think we are, but we aren’t. We live in a natural world and that world brings hazards. Live with them, die with them. It’s the way it is.

If you read the statistics published by the CDC, all of us in all age groups are far more at risk of death from other things. For school age children they are literally about 99% more at risk from something, anything else than they are from this. So wonder why out of all the risks out there, this is the one being focused on? I wonder. 

Whatever, I’m done with it. Just wanted to throw it out there.

6 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I don’t think that those of us who think the reaction to this virus has been, for lack of a better word, dubious, are necessarily crazy. We just have a different opinion. Not subscribing to “group think” is not wrong, but is necessary to maintain a free society.

I thought the poster made a couple of good points. We are entering the cold season, the season in which viruses tend to run wild. This surge shouldn’t have been unexpected. The other point is that we aren’t in control. We think we are, but we aren’t. We live in a natural world and that world brings hazards. Live with them, die with them. It’s the way it is.

If you read the statistics published by the CDC, all of us in all age groups are far more at risk of death from other things. For school age children they are literally about 99% more at risk from something, anything else than they are from this. So wonder why out of all the risks out there, this is the one being focused on? I wonder. 

I don't believe I have called anyone crazy, and if so, then my apologies. We are all entitled to our beliefs, even if we don't agree with them. However, some here seem to have a hard time walking the line between ranting about something they don't agree with and getting into the political weeds over it. It's why our COVID thread was closed down. There are at least two other subforums where COVID is actively discussed that others can go to if they really gotta scratch that itch. Or, there is the political forum that people can go to as well. Trixie posted it last week, but as far as I can tell, no one new has showed up to add to the discussion. 

I do not appreciate people suggesting we let the virus run rampant as a way to deal with it. Nor is saying "defund schools" the answer to the issues at hand. I get it, I have a kid learning from home too, who I think would be far better off learning within a school building. But I accept it for what it is because I trust those in charge are making the right decisions with the metrics they have and the people they rely on to give them sound scientific advice. I have been supportive to others who kid's have gone back to buildings, even if I personally believe its too soon. 

The other issue, and this has been an incredible eye opening experience for me, is that everyone has a different level of risk that they are okay with. And everyone needs to do better to respect others in that regard. What works for one family, may not work for another, but that doesn't mean either opinions are less valuable. There really is something to the whole "we are in this together" motto, because we are. Everyone is struggling in some fashion and the sooner we all figure out how to work together to get through this, the better off we will be.

• Like 5

Have booted the usual multi-family gathering for Thanksgiving, but will still host parent/in-law parent at the house - keeping the gathering to 7. BUT, we really want to have it on our patio outdoors - fingers crossed for the mid-50s midday highs for a week from Thursday with low chances of rain hold. That would be swell.

• Like 1

Wearing masks and socially distancing minimizes the risk. Until a vaccine is widely available, and even beyond, science says this is a simple, effective, and selfless measure we can all take to minimize spread. This is what we got, and all protocols should emanate from this.

• Like 5

We all know that just stepping out of our house increases our risks.  Vending machines are a bigger risk.  The main issue is that again, you don't have millions of people getting hurt by vending machines and swamping our hospitals.  THATS the reason.  Thats it.  You swamp the hospitals then people who have other serious illnesses or injuries won't get treatment.  There's no nefarious plot and when people start going "I wonder" then they have given up on using reason, science, logic.  

If I am presented facts and evidence about this crisis I regard it the same as the facts and science that gives me warmer air during storms and how I microclimate my way to shitty snow totals.  There isn't a nefarious plot by corn dust people and angle of the cold being screwed up by more cars on the road.

I'll let it go as well but I just wish we all could rally together to do whats needed to get over this.  Its for the better good.  You might not like it but its to help your neighbor, your relatives, your friends.  Is that so hard? 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Wearing masks and socially distancing minimizes the risk. Until a vaccine is widely available, and even beyond, science says this is a simple, effective, and selfless measure we can all take to minimize spread. This is what we got, and all protocols should emanate from this.

I mean, I dont like wearing pants when I go out and about, but I am forced to by the man. The whole resistance to masks is something I will never understand. I think it has become some sort of passive aggressive form of protest, but in this case it is risking lives and adds to the burden on our overworked health care professionals. 

Whenever I think my life is hard or feel like complaining, I think of all of the people who are going out every day to help others. Their mental and physical health is what concerns me. Anything I can do to help them (ie do as much as possible to stay isolated) I will.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, H2O said:

We all know that just stepping out of our house increases our risks.  Vending machines are a bigger risk.  The main issue is that again, you don't have millions of people getting hurt by vending machines and swamping our hospitals.  THATS the reason.  Thats it.  You swamp the hospitals then people who have other serious illnesses or injuries won't get treatment.  There's no nefarious plot and when people start going "I wonder" then they have given up on using reason, science, logic.  

If I am presented facts and evidence about this crisis I regard it the same as the facts and science that gives me warmer air during storms and how I microclimate my way to shitty snow totals.  There isn't a nefarious plot by corn dust people and angle of the cold being screwed up by more cars on the road.

I'll let it go as well but I just wish we all could rally together to do whats needed to get over this.  Its for the better good.  You might not like it but its to help your neighbor, your relatives, your friends.  Is that so hard? 

Truth vs. truthiness.  It can be quite the struggle for some.

I can say I prefer the truthiness when it comes to snow in my yard. :(

FYI: Hogan has a presser at 2, would be his fourth in two weeks as MD sees another 2k+ day

30 minutes ago, H2O said:

We all know that just stepping out of our house increases our risks.  Vending machines are a bigger risk.  The main issue is that again, you don't have millions of people getting hurt by vending machines and swamping our hospitals.

Not so sure about that last sentence...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I don’t think anyone thought your comments have been in appropriate or crazy. But some people are going too far. And it would be the same on the left. If some leftist started spouting about revolution they would get censored right quick too. Extreme is extreme and that’s not what this board is for.  I’ve had my own comments about gun control and other topics deleted when it drifted too far into politics. 

Since I have some inside knowledge I’ll add something regarding the school opening calculus. The factors schools are weighing are not primarily the health of the students. We know that are likely to be ok except in cases of extremely immune compromised children. But schools have to weigh the risk to the staff and the risk the students bring home covid and expose relatives and others in the community. We don’t have a lot of conclusive data on the former but we have had enough cases of faculty becoming ill and unfortunately passing away from exposure as schools to know that is a very real risk. Just in my department alone we have 3 teachers who have filed FMLA and won’t be back due to health risks until their doctor approves it. There is no way my dept can function down 3 teachers. We’re already short staffed and have large classes.  I know my sons classes are being taught over a projector because his teacher has a health risk and can’t come in. So they have an aid babysitting the class while they watch on a projector. I don’t see how that is really better. I am not saying we shouldn’t open schools. I’ll let everyone make that determination themselves. But the calculations schools are making aren’t the ones I see being discussed here where most of the talk is of the students health when that isn’t the primary reason schools are closed. 

• Like 7