• Member Statistics

    16,734
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    alexmiller
    Newest Member
    alexmiller
    Joined
wxeyeNH

NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Got .70" LE on my 6.6".  Hmmm, might need to do another one. Seems pretty low ratio, but flakes were small most of day even though it was pounding. 

Damn that’s a nice little event there!  I believe the ratios.  Even the light amounts up here “feel” dense... I was almost thinking it might be less than 10:1.  Like SWFE snow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just about 3" on the nose here. Currently 24F with calm wind and mood flakes still flying. I'll have to get out in the yard and take some actual depth measurements tomorrow, but I'm estimating our snowpack is around 22-23" on the level now. While that may be below average for late February in these parts, it's a beefy pack with a lot of water locked in it...so this is going to have some staying power. Almost every event since 12/17 has been high density this winter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Just about 3" on the nose here. Currently 24F with calm wind and mood flakes still flying. I'll have to get out in the yard and take some actual depth measurements tomorrow, but I'm estimating our snowpack is around 22-23" on the level now. While that may be below average for late February in these parts, it's a beefy pack with a lot of water locked in it...so this is going to have some staying power. Almost every event since 12/17 has been high density this winter.

Nice!

Sounds like I was downslope central on this one. Better snow all around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Damn that’s a nice little event there!  I believe the ratios.  Even the light amounts up here “feel” dense... I was almost thinking it might be less than 10:1.  Like SWFE snow.

Yea, it was great. Classic SW/S upslope- Albany only had .03" in the bucket today and DDH had .11". Both were blowing out of the south pretty good during the meat of the precip while it was calm here.  

Mesos were showing this pretty well for a few days, but don't think the weeniest of mesos had .70" of precip here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Nice!

Sounds like I was downslope central on this one. Better snow all around.

It seems that this storm had a somewhat extreme downslope component. The difference between my area and just a few miles away was fascinating

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picnic tables..lol. Only showing this because the past 2 winters never really had more than a few inches on this at any point in time. So many windy crappy events with rain mixed or cutters in between. So many calm events this winter, being so tucked in on the western slopes certainly prone to some high wind events out the E/SE, but just not many this year.

20210222_192954_compress63.thumb.jpg.7174cc3a16e6b5d6013770bb3473fb1c.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Picnic tables..lol. Only showing this because the past 2 winters never really had more than a few inches on this at any point in time. So many windy crappy events with rain mixed or cutters in between. So many calm events this winter, being so tucked in on the western slopes certainly prone to some high wind events out the E/SE, but just not many this year.

 

The western slope/crest upslope areas stand out for sure this winter... with a dearth of better synoptic events, it's been living on upslope snow lately.

Eyeballing 2" outside up here?  I'll measure when the dog goes out for her last time.  Western slopes to J.Spin getting a good dose. They seem to get crushed with the heaviest composite echoes light up over BTV and just east.  The upslope band is starting to propagate eastward as the 925mb flow turns from south to westerly.  The ski areas are in it now... J.Spin has to be getting ripped.

Feb_22_9pm.gif.06a4c2f3cdb4dc42cf1354629818ce25.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Definitely not the flow I want here. Complete dud today. Extended still looks pretty zzzzz to me but I guess there is something lurking for the weekend. Needs work, however.

Not too far to your north was a decent snow event. it was snowing decently in Errol, and up here in Pittsburg picked up a solid 3”

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Not the best photos, but saw these in the woods yesterday. Do the sets of 4 prints look like anything familiar?

D4EFD300-3AB6-4AAC-97CA-257CE65B9DC5.jpeg
79CAB66C-3FAB-42FA-AA10-45DB5733AD2E.jpeg

looks like a bobcat to me.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.12” L.E.

 

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.12 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.8

Snow Density: 9.2% H2O

Temperature: 28.0 F

Sky: Snow (3-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 22.0 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Damn that’s a nice little event there!  I believe the ratios.  Even the light amounts up here “feel” dense... I was almost thinking it might be less than 10:1.  Like SWFE snow.

Yeah, when I made my analyses earlier this evening, the stack on the snowboard had that obvious heft to it like synoptic snow.  And your estimate was good – it was actually slightly higher than 10:1 here at 10.8:1, but I’m sure it’s ±10:1 all around our general area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The western slope/crest upslope areas stand out for sure this winter... with a dearth of better synoptic events, it's been living on upslope snow lately.

Eyeballing 2" outside up here?  I'll measure when the dog goes out for her last time.  Western slopes to J.Spin getting a good dose. They seem to get crushed with the heaviest composite echoes light up over BTV and just east.  The upslope band is starting to propagate eastward as the 925mb flow turns from south to westerly.  The ski areas are in it now... J.Spin has to be getting ripped.

Feb_22_9pm.gif.06a4c2f3cdb4dc42cf1354629818ce25.gif

Yeah, the daytime snow in general seemed to just accumulate at a steady pace with those synoptic-like flakes, but it’s been much more potent more recently this evening with that heavier band pushing toward the spine.

Indeed, as I saw mentioned in the thread, there wasn’t much happening in the Champlain Valley today.  When I was driving home, though, it quickly became obvious that it was one of those days where the mountains were getting hit.  Flakes appeared around Williston, and the snowfall intensity just continued to ramp up each mile as I pushed farther and farther into the mountains.  Those drive are always fun because the increase happens gradually, and by the time I reach the house it can be pounding snow, but you’re a bit desensitized to be able to compare to what it was like earlier in the drive.  It wasn’t quite like that today, but it was certainly a steady, moderate snowfall here at the house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We talked about that fantastic snow up in Big Jay Basin on Saturday, and it just kept accumulating throughout the time I was there.  Here at the house, the snowfall really ramped up on Saturday night, and I figured it had to really be unloading up there in the basin, so I told the family and we all headed out for a tour on Sunday.

The weather was quite a contrast between Saturday and yesterday – Saturday was relatively low visibility with constant snowfall, but yesterday there was hardly a cloud in the sky.  The basin area had definitely picked up more snow since I’d left on Saturday, but it was most notable above the road elevation (~1,500’).  On Saturday, I found powder in the 8-12” range down there, and it was probably closer to a consistent 12” on Sunday.  Up higher, I’d found 12-16” in the 2,500’ range, but my measurements show that the powder depth had increased to roughly 20” when we were there yesterday afternoon.  If one considers how dry that snow was, and whatever settling occurred, that was obviously another impressive shot of snow on Saturday night.

A few shots from yesterday’s tour in Big Jay Basin:

21FEB21A.jpg

21FEB21B.jpg

21FEB21C.jpg

21FEB21D.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The gait of the footprints looks like a cat... bobcat maybe?  

 

2 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

looks like a bobcat to me.

Thanks...had another person suggest a fisher and after looking those up I’m definitely concerned because those are in sets of 4 as well. Some kind of animal was out in the backyard making loud squeaking noises the other night...not the typical hideous fisher screeching, but more of a high pitched squeak. The first thing I thought of was a mink or weasel, but maybe fishers have some sort of squeaking call as well? I don’t need one of those mofos hanging around my coop. Hopefully those prints are a bobcat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 2.9” Snow/0.19” L.E.

 

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 22.9

Snow Density: 4.4% H2O

Temperature: 27.0 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 23.5 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dendrite said:

 

Thanks...had another person suggest a fisher and after looking those up I’m definitely concerned because those are in sets of 4 as well. Some kind of animal was out in the backyard making loud squeaking noises the other night...not the typical hideous fisher screeching, but more of a high pitched squeak. The first thing I thought of was a mink or weasel, but maybe fishers have some sort of squeaking call as well? I don’t need one of those mofos hanging around my coop. Hopefully those prints are a bobcat.

I’ve heard fox shrieking before, it’s very eerie. could be that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Models all have a late weekend/early next week event now (some big timing differences between the runs). Looks like a 8-10 type deal right now, marginal outside the elevated spots in NNE. Let's hope this holds and doesn't continue to shift SE and weaker as it has been doing last few cycles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dendrite said:

 

Thanks...had another person suggest a fisher and after looking those up I’m definitely concerned because those are in sets of 4 as well. Some kind of animal was out in the backyard making loud squeaking noises the other night...not the typical hideous fisher screeching, but more of a high pitched squeak. The first thing I thought of was a mink or weasel, but maybe fishers have some sort of squeaking call as well? I don’t need one of those mofos hanging around my coop. Hopefully those prints are a bobcat.

Most fisher tracks I've seen are in pairs, one paw slightly ahead of the other and back paws landing almost exactly in the forepaw impressions.  Seen that same pattern from weasels, mink and marten and have seen all those mustelids loping along.  If that pic showed a fisher, it was likely moving faster than the ones that have left the pairs tracks. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tamarack said:

Most fisher tracks I've seen are in pairs, one paw slightly ahead of the other and back paws landing almost exactly in the forepaw impressions.  Seen that same pattern from weasels, mink and marten and have seen all those mustelids loping along.  If that pic showed a fisher, it was likely moving faster than the ones that have left the pairs tracks. 

Thanks. Do you lean bobcat too? I've never seen one on my property.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, J.Spin said:

We talked about that fantastic snow up in Big Jay Basin on Saturday, and it just kept accumulating throughout the time I was there.  Here at the house, the snowfall really ramped up on Saturday night, and I figured it had to really be unloading up there in the basin, so I told the family and we all headed out for a tour on Sunday.

 

The weather was quite a contrast between Saturday and yesterday – Saturday was relatively low visibility with constant snowfall, but yesterday there was hardly a cloud in the sky.  The basin area had definitely picked up more snow since I’d left on Saturday, but it was most notable above the road elevation (~1,500’).  On Saturday, I found powder in the 8-12” range down there, and it was probably closer to a consistent 12” on Sunday.  Up higher, I’d found 12-16” in the 2,500’ range, but my measurements show that the powder depth had increased to roughly 20” when we were there yesterday afternoon.  If one considers how dry that snow was, and whatever settling occurred, that was obviously another impressive shot of snow on Saturday night.

 

A few shots from yesterday’s tour in Big Jay Basin:

 

21FEB21A.jpg

 

 

 

How high up on Big Jay were you able to get? In my experience the going gets really tough up above about 2800-3000 feet and to summit I'd guess you'd have to boot pack? I've also never skinned the ridge between Big and Little Jay basins so that may be the way to go. Its why I almost prefer Little Jay if coming from 242. You get nearly to the summit without much hassle and its a shorter approach as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Bobcat has been hanging out at our neighbors bird feeder the past few days...

I have not 40F this year yet.  Will I make it the next couple of days?   Last warm weather was the Grinch storm

Snowpack up to around 14 or 15"

Temp rising quickly here, up to 30. I think the torch over the next few days will over-perform a bit. My pack is bulletproof so I don't expect any real loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Thanks. Do you lean bobcat too? I've never seen one on my property.

Definitely looks catlike, and while lynx have been expanding south thru Maine I doubt they've made it to your place.  When I lived in N. Maine (76-85) the trappers there caught only bobcat.  Latest surveys related to the lynx' Threatened designation show few bobcats north of Moosehead and there have been reliable lynx sightings in the Rangeley country and some even farther south.  Probably some seen in Coos County as well.  Those critters are doing so well that USFWS is pondering their being delisted in the East.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 3.0” Snow/0.19” L.E.

 

It looks like the totals above will be the final values for this event, so that seems right in line with the 1-3”/2-4” that was in our BTV NWS point forecast.

 

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 27.0 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 23.0 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38F at MVL an hour ago, 37F currently.  Local PWS is back down to 35F.  Thickening clouds seemed to have stopped the rise and it's leveling off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.