• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Autumn 2020 Banter

doncat

i haven't been paying any attention to wildfire season, and then i look up and california is burning down

i feel like the world is ending, i'm exhausted by 2020.  my mental health seriously eroded this year.  i need to admit that to someone.  burnt out and exhausted on every front.  i cannot process anymore news.  and the news will continue to get worse, much worse.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, forkyfork said:

i don't think people understand the scale of it. it's a major ecological event comprised of millions of birds.

Migratory Birds & Flyways | BirdLife

if wx interrupts them you can get fallouts like this: 

Migrating songbirds (including what appear to be yellow, Blackburnian, black-and-white and common-yellowthroat warblers, American redstarts and ovenbirds, among others) on the lighthouse at Machias Seal Island. (photo by Ralph Eldridge)

Again, the May 2011 bird fallout on Machias Seal Island. (photo by Ralph Eldridge)

You can see why Ralph is careful during a fallout not to disturb the resting birds, which cover nearly every available surface. (photo by Ralph Eldridge)

http://www.thenaturalistsnotebook.com/our-blog/migrating-bird-fallout-on-machias-seal-island

Wonderful illustrated article, thank you. How privileged one would feel to see such an event. Are they quiet when they are resting? Do they sing? If so it must be a glorious sound. As always .......

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rclab said:

Wonderful illustrated article, thank you. How privileged one would feel to see such an event. Are they quiet when they are resting? Do they sing? If so it must be a glorious sound. As always .......

they are exhausted and have no interest in singing 

6 hours ago, forkyfork said:

they are exhausted and have no interest in singing 

I should have realized that. I still would love to hear the combined sound that so many beautiful creatures could make. I should, instead, be thinking of how many could not make it to rest and will never sing again. As always ...

• Sad 1

On 9/15/2020 at 11:25 AM, forkyfork said:

i don't think people understand the scale of it. it's a major ecological event comprised of millions of birds.

Migratory Birds & Flyways | BirdLife

if wx interrupts them you can get fallouts like this: 

Migrating songbirds (including what appear to be yellow, Blackburnian, black-and-white and common-yellowthroat warblers, American redstarts and ovenbirds, among others) on the lighthouse at Machias Seal Island. (photo by Ralph Eldridge)

Again, the May 2011 bird fallout on Machias Seal Island. (photo by Ralph Eldridge)

You can see why Ralph is careful during a fallout not to disturb the resting birds, which cover nearly every available surface. (photo by Ralph Eldridge)

http://www.thenaturalistsnotebook.com/our-blog/migrating-bird-fallout-on-machias-seal-island

It seems to be a lot more this year, this morning I had hundreds of birds mobbing around my backyard pond, of various different species.  It was a sight to behold!  They were bathing, eating and fighting amongst themselves.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

It seems to be a lot more this year, this morning I had hundreds of birds mobbing around my backyard pond, of various different species.  It was a sight to behold!  They were bathing, eating and fighting amongst themselves.

where is the picture

buy a crop sensor DSLR from Costco and don't fail us next year :hurrbear::twister::blahblah::cory::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

lol DSLR are ancient history, mirrorless cameras with fully electronic shutters are the new thing.  I ditched all my DSLR a few years ago.

well either way sir you don't tell a fella you got a sight to behold and not give him a sight.  give us some bird photos!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will - Rutgers said:

well either way sir you don't tell a fella you got a sight to behold and not give him a sight.  give us some bird photos!

ha that's true, but I only took a video no images sorry and will post it when I get it up on youtube.

I opted for video because the birds looked so adorable splashing around in the water and fighting with each other for room lol.

• Like 1

Here is a statistic that someone might lookup:

What is the most days ever in NYC between measurable snow events?

Seems all measurable snow ended last Jan. 18!      If we get a late start this season could we not set the record?

An unrelated item here about Governour's Island becoming a center to study climate change:

https://brooklyneagle.com/articles/2020/09/17/governors-island-could-be-future-hub-for-nyc-climate-solutions/

• Like 2