Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Autumn 2020 Banter

doncat

4 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

i know all about it which is why i'm so against cats

Then why would you say to ever use rat poison?  Anyone who cares about wildlife knows to never use it due to the secondary poisoning risk. So I should poison the cat and then poison one of the hawks or owls around here that eat at the carcass. Sure, makes perfect sense. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, forkyfork said:

not joking. fancy feast and rat poison. feral cats are invasive and kill billions of birds a year

cats, dogs and rats have driven several species to extinction....and of course humankind and its evil ways.

Wasn't the very last Passenger Pigeon eaten by a cat?  And of course the billions before it who were thoughtlessly hunted down by humans.

I was watering the very edge of my very dry property about an hour ago and I spied a blackish moving shape out of the corner of my eye.  It was a black bear roaming around just beyond my fence line, maybe about 10 feet to my right!  You can bet I rapidly finished watering and high tailed it back into my house (making sure no trash was outside first of course.)  This is in my other home in NE PA and we're expecting to have frost and maybe even a freeze tonight.  When do these creatures go into hibernation?  This is the closest I've ever been to a bear encounter.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

cats, dogs and rats have driven several species to extinction....and of course humankind and its evil ways.

Wasn't the very last Passenger Pigeon eaten by a cat?  And of course the billions before it who were thoughtlessly hunted down by humans.

Lol no it died in a zoo at the age of 29

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Lol no it died in a zoo at the age of 29

Thought it was killed by a cat that roamed into its enclosure?

Crazy article about geneticists talking about bringing the bird back into existence by the 2030s.

https://www.audubon.org/magazine/may-june-2014/why-passenger-pigeon-went-extinct

The story about how they were killed is horrendous.  I consider this a form of genocide and the people who did this should be punished just as harshly.  Too bad none are alive today.

Back then conservatives were actually conservationists too.

Contemporary environmentalism arrived too late to prevent the passenger pigeon’s demise. But the two phenomena share a historical connection. “The extinction was part of the motivation for the birth of modern 20th century conservation,” says Temple. In 1900, even before Martha’s death in the Cincinnati Zoo, Republican Congressman John F. Lacey of Iowa introduced the nation’s first wildlife-protection law, which banned the interstate shipping of unlawfully killed game. “The wild pigeon, formerly in flocks of millions, has entirely disappeared from the face of the earth,” Lacey said on the House floor. “We have given an awful exhibition of slaughter and destruction, which may serve as a warning to all mankind. Let us now give an example of wise conservation of what remains of the gifts of nature.” That year Congress passed the Lacey Act, followed by the tougher Weeks-McLean Act in 1913 and, five years later, the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, which protected not just birds but also their eggs, nests, and feathers.

8 hours ago, BxEngine said:

The whining about one or two slightly below normal days amongst a neverending sea of warmth is kinda friggin annoying. 

Extremely annoying. There are people on this site who are simply never pleased with the temperature. They must have some sleepless nights over their thermostats.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Maureen said:

Extremely annoying. There are people on this site who are simply never pleased with the temperature. They must have some sleepless nights over their thermostats.

I find those first cool days and evenings, at summers end, quite special. Standing in my Inner city, UHI blessed brick walled postage stamp, I can close me eyes, breath in deeply and feel I am in one of those beautiful photos posted in the New England forum. Of course, that lasts only until I open my eyes. I am alone now so nights can be extra chilly. It’s not really a problem. For me an extra blanket and a vivid imagination/memory serves me well. As always ....

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rclab said:

I find those first cool days and evenings, at summers end, quite special. Standing in my Inner city, UHI blessed brick walled postage stamp, I can close me eyes, breath in deeply and feel I am in one of those beautiful photos posted in the New England forum. Of course, that lasts only until I open my eyes. I am alone now so nights can be extra chilly. It’s not really a problem. For me an extra blanket and a vivid imagination/memory serves me well. As always ....

Now that the pollution from those wildfires is dissipating I got to see Orion and the Pleaides for the first time since last winter!  And last evening's 2 day old crescent moon looked quite pretty.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Now that the pollution from those wildfires is dissipating I got to see Orion and the Pleaides for the first time since last winter!  And last evening's 2 day old crescent moon looked quite pretty.

I wonder sometimes why anyone needs an artificial stimulant when all you have to do is open your senses to the natural world. As you and others have aptly described in word and photo. The most effective drug ever created is all around us. All one need do is allow the high to take hold. In this case the hope is that it will become addictive. As always ....

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, rclab said:

I wonder sometimes why anyone needs an artificial stimulant when all you have to do is open your senses to the natural world. As you and others have aptly described in word and photo. The most effective drug ever created is all around us. All one need do is allow the high to take hold. In this case the hope is that it will become addictive. As always ....

that sounds like a caption I made to a picture many many years ago:

How photography inspires me.....

I love how the camera can preserve the beauty of a scene forever, sometimes I go back to old photos and see things in there Id never seen before. I think we take our surroundings for granted far too much and then we wonder about the meaning of life and why we are here… and well, the answer is all around us, to experience and understand even a tiny bit of the wonders of our world and what may lie beyond, as well as the wonders of the human mind and the human heart that it can witness and appreciate these things of beauty, even though our lives are but a millisecond compared to the timelessness of nature and our surroundings. This is why I dont drink or take any drugs– why do we need to escape from reality, all we need to do is find a part of reality that makes us truly happy, appreciate it and hold onto it with all our might, no matter how far away it is and feel special knowing that we are here to experience it.

I think pictures prove that Nature is the greatest artist of them all, she has had billions of years to perfect her Art so that we can all be here to appreciate it.

b087810b231f434eab5608087f801f15  (3).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent points from Rclab and Liberty Bell. I remember the old days of photography when I would do all my own black and white darkroom printing after taking the photos. Switching over to digital allowed me to do more extensive color post processing. Smartphones really opened up the world of photography to many more people. There are some great photographers now who do much of their work on a iPhone or Android. But a dedicated bunch are still working on DSLR and mirrorless cameras. The old saying is the best camera is the one that you have with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

Indeed, Chris! I have found the same is true of cameras and telescopes.....the best equipment is the one that is used most often (and portability is important to me and I'm sure many others.)

It will be fun to see what the convergence of the rapid software improvements and miniaturization look like. Smartphones have taken the lead on computational photography. While DSLR and mirrorless still appeal to many who like the larger sensor size and lens selections. Maybe the smartphone and mirrorless tech will merge in the coming decade or two. The gap is already narrowing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Excellent points from Rclab and Liberty Bell. I remember the old days of photography when I would do all my own black and white darkroom printing after taking the photos. Switching over to digital allowed me to do more extensive color post processing. Smartphones really opened up the world of photography to many more people. There are some great photographers now who do much of their work on a iPhone or Android. But a dedicated bunch are still working on DSLR and mirrorless cameras. The old saying is the best camera is the one that you have with you.

How wonderful, how beautiful. We have so much to lose. I pray we’re not too late. As always .....

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It will be fun to see what the convergence of the rapid software improvements and miniaturization look like. Smartphones have taken the lead on computational photography. While DSLR and mirrorless still appeal to many who like the larger sensor size and lens selections. Maybe the smartphone and mirrorless tech will merge in the coming decade or two. The gap is already narrowing.

I would like to see that!  One area where I've noticed improvements is in AI algorithms used to create "smart" digital zooming.....I remember how awful predictive algorithms for it were back in the early 2000s, that is no longer the case.  2x "smart" digital zooming is indistinguishable from 2x optical zoom in many respects.