Total Members
    Most Online
    dhubbard
    Newest Member
    dhubbard

Fall Banter and General Discussion

39 minutes ago, dryslot said:

He's just north of BIW in Bath.

He's north of much of the town as well.  IIRC, he's less than a mile downriver from the Chops, the exit from Merrymeeting Bay.

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

He's north of much of the town as well.  IIRC, he's less than a mile downriver from the Chops, the exit from Merrymeeting Bay.

Yes, I thinks he's in North Bath, Towards Beans' Rock.

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Pretty depressing article.

Sounds like if a certain set of scenarios play out we could be in big trouble... vaccine or not.

Some positive pieces of info too, like certain populations potentially having longer lasting antibodies (and hopefully immunity).  Of course I'm not sure how you figure out who is going to have longer immunity.

• Like 1

We’re definitely getting color on the leaves earlier than my previous 3 years here at this house. 

14 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Beauty, how far up river are you?

I'm a mile north of Rt. 1

12 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

So new house is Pit 1 and Maine is still Pit 2? Love to wake up to that scene every morning.

My primary house will always be Pit1.  Between being up here this week and envy over Jerry's impending retirement, I am so eager to get up her permanently and rename this one Pit1. Not for a few years yet....though I do buy my lottery tickets, so who knows.

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

We’re definitely getting color on the leaves earlier than my previous 3 years here at this house. 

I think high altitude smoke assisted this 

• Haha 1

Hiked Mount Washington yesterday via Tuckerman's route, at elevation there is some serious leaf colors. Unfortunately, the summit was in the clouds.

On the summit cone came across some guy who I initially thought had fallen and hurt himself. He was just disoriented in the clouds. Got him back on track and stayed with to the summit parking lot. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Pretty depressing article.

Sounds like if a certain set of scenarios play out we could be in big trouble... vaccine or not.

Cheer up

COVID-19 SURVIVAL RATES (per CDC):
Ages 0-19:     99.997%
Ages 20-49:  99.98%
Ages 50-69:  99.5%
Ages 70+:       94.6%

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Cheer up

COVID-19 SURVIVAL RATES (per CDC):
Ages 0-19:     99.997%
Ages 20-49:  99.98%
Ages 50-69:  99.5%
Ages 70+:       94.6%

Much higher numbers of people with long term health issues after “recovering” from the ‘Vid though.   Heart, lungs. 

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Much higher numbers of people with long term health issues after “recovering” from the ‘Vid though.   Heart, lungs. 

Is there numbers for that? I saw the above numbers last night for survival rate.

In order to determine the rates and severity of these long term effects, we need to follow survivors for 5-20 years after recovery and also control for the many other factors that could be causing their lingering issues (such as existing lung tissue scarring from smoking). There is no way to be speaking definitively on long term effects right now. It's just not possible.

• Like 1

For most people I know, wearing a mask has become more about peer pressure than fear of the virus at this point. It was the other way around in early summer. I think most people have a bit of COVID news/stat fatigue and have been tuning it out, and the hygiene, social distancing, and mask practices are really just habits now versus something they think about actively. That's not a bad thing, really. Fear of dying from COVID when that likelihood is incredibly remote is very unhelpful. Better to just get into good habits that becomes second-nature.

I do know a few people who are still "on lockdown" (of their own choosing) and basically never leave the house... I am little worried about them now. It's time to come out, folks.

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

In order to determine the rates and severity of these long term effects, we need to follow survivors for 5-20 years after recovery and also control for the many other factors that could be causing their lingering issues (such as existing lune tissue scarring from smoking). There is no way to be speaking definitively on long term effects right now. It's just not possible.

Agree, but that doesn't fit the narrative

20 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Is there numbers for that? I saw the above numbers last night for survival rate.

Yeah... I probably should have worded it differently...  I have not seen definitive percentages etc, but it appears that there are more people suffering effects of this for long periods of time than dying.  Survival rate is of course very high for most age groups.     

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30701-5/fulltext

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

In order to determine the rates and severity of these long term effects, we need to follow survivors for 5-20 years after recovery and also control for the many other factors that could be causing their lingering issues (such as existing lung tissue scarring from smoking). There is no way to be speaking definitively on long term effects right now. It's just not possible.

Yeah.  As I just said to Jeff, I should have worded it differently.  Not sure if any numbers have been determined for affects beyond 90 or so days after being diagnosed.  But signs seem to be pointing to that happening for many.  https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/brain-fog-heart-damage-covid-19-s-lingering-problems-alarm-scientists

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Not trying to promote an agenda.   Not dismissing it as the flu either

I'm not saying you are promoting an agenda but modern media likes to sensationalize things that are not and cannot in such a short time be scientifically proven like doctors and scientists would normally stress the importance of doing. They just put it out there as fact even though it hasn't met the conditions to be.

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Not trying to promote an agenda.   Not dismissing it as the flu either

I guess my question would be based off of these numbers is why are we still going thru phases of opening and not just open? We know who's the most vulnerable now, So those are the ones to protect.

Just now, greenmtnwx said:

I'm not saying you are promoting an agenda but modern media likes to sensationalize things that are not and cannot in such a short time be scientifically proven like doctors and scientists would normally stress the importance of doing. They just put it out there as fact even though it hasn't met the conditions to be.

Media has been doing this since...well...media has existed.    Caveat emptor and all the rest... I try to get into the studies/journals I can understand. And first hand accounts if possible.

Just now, dryslot said:

I guess my question would be based off of these numbers is why are we still going thru phases of opening and not just open? We know who's the most vulnerable now, So those are the ones to protect.

An example... and I know Maine has different phases, etc...  in Massachusetts should indoor venues for concerts be open?  I would love to see a show live but would not personally go.  So...let's say a venue has 1000 people in it, somewhat distanced, but in there for 2 hours watching a band. Having fun... 5 people catch the 'vid... spread it to folks at work...who spread it to the grandma they need to help care for...

I dunno... I just have a bit of a break during work and was thinking about stuff.  Gotta get back to it.