Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

49 minutes ago, tunafish said:

I agree, after the election results are announced there will be chaos.  Unless you live in a major city the best thing you can do is turn off your TV and log out of twitter/reddit/facebook.  Because you're not going to see chaos in suburbantown USA.  But if you sit glued to the TV/internet then yeah, you're going to think that's reality everywhere, including your backyard.  Social media is poison (I understand this is social media, too) and perception is spoon fed - you can choose to keep your mouth open or not.

A friend of mine thinks that if Trump wins the Election and unemployment remains high while the market soars there will be a second occupy Wall Street protest. I disagree with him but if it does happen it might last longer that its predecessor.

I've removed myself from Facebook, which other than this forum is the only social media I ever participated in.  I just couldn't take the bs, conspiracy theories and fake news.  It was really impacting how I viewed some people I have known for years.  People who's generosity and kindness that I had personally experienced have, at times become insufferable.  I don't have to manage a businesses FB page anymore so it was time to jettison it.  Ginx is right, most people are decent in a personal level but having a keyboard and monitor as a shield from the consequences of your words is not a positive and has lead us down a pretty crappy road.  

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I've removed myself from Facebook, which other than this forum is the only social media I ever participated in.  I just couldn't take the bs, conspiracy theories and fake news.  It was really impacting how I viewed some people I have known for years.  People who's generosity and kindness that I had personally experienced have, at times become insufferable.  I don't have to manage a businesses FB page anymore so it was time to jettison it.  Ginx is right, most people are decent in a personal level but having a keyboard and monitor as a shield from the consequences of your words is not a positive and has lead us down a pretty crappy road.  

I'm really beginning to despise social media. I certainly see the good in it, however, I question whether the good outweighs the bad. I couldn't agree more regarding the conspiracy theories and fake news. What is also really irritating me are all these memes being floated around with information/statistics and they are shared like it's gospel...it's like if it's on a meme it's gotta be true. Now I totally get some people just share this stuff and don't take it seriously but many do. It's so easy to come up with a meme and throw info on their that supports a stance and for it to then be shared wildly by those who share the same stand. It's also irritating in terms of weather...just so much crap gets posted around. during tropical season...312-HR GFS maps showing a system over NYC...during winter...24-HR TOTAL snowfall maps...for severe...a 96-HR GFS SHARPpy sounding showing PDS Tornado...all this stuff does is generate unecessary hype...it gets into the hands of the wrong people, people get freaked out, and when that scenario doesn't unfold, forecasters are blamed...even though its weenies posting nonsensical trash.

• Like 1

19 years ago at this moment I got a call from our command center about a small plane hitting the WTC. What transpired from that second on for the next week is embedded in my brain like no other memory.  A week later we received a direct threat to Foxwoods and actually had 3 fighter jets fly in really low and circle around. Scary times. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, scoob40 said:

A friend of mine thinks that if Trump wins the Election and unemployment remains high while the market soars there will be a second occupy Wall Street protest. I disagree with him but if it does happen it might last longer that its predecessor.

What benefit will come out of occupying Wall Street? Agents of chaos will come in, cause problems and the media will focus on that and make the entire movement look bad.

Occupy  Congress would be a better movement. Until we have campaign finance reform nothing will change. Our lawmakers are a bunch of millionaires beholden to corporate America. The same corporate America that completely controls what you see and hear in the media.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

It's been a lot for people to process over the past several months, and certainly some people I know have clearly snapped to some extent. I think part of the issue is that some people did literally nothing but watch 24/7 cable news when quarantined, and it's like they are emerging from a brainwashing chamber from a sci-fi movie. The things they earnestly believe now are crazy.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's been a lot for people to process over the past several months, and certainly some people I know have clearly snapped to some extent. I think part of the issue is that some people did literally nothing but watch 24/7 cable news when quarantined, and it's like they are emerging from a brainwashing chamber from a sci-fi movie. The things they earnestly believe now are crazy.

I think most here are talking about a phenomenon that emerged long before COVID. True, COVID likely made things much worse. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It was happening a long time before COVID though... The conspiracy theory side of things is pretty much unchecked and running rampant right now.

This stuff is mind blowing the more I read about it.  How does this take hold in a place like America?!

https://time.com/5887437/conspiracy-theories-2020-election/

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

I think most here are talking about a phenomenon that emerged long before COVID. True, COVID likely made things much worse. 

That's what I mean when I say they snapped. I agree societal bonds have been in decline for a long time now, it's just that COVID and the social movement upheavals have pushed some people who were barely maintaining that veneer of basic human decency and rationality already to the breaking point.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It was happening a long time before COVID though... The conspiracy theory side of things is pretty much unchecked and running rampant right now.

This stuff is mind blowing the more I read about it.  How does this take hold in a place like America?!

https://time.com/5887437/conspiracy-theories-2020-election/

Eh, if the conspiracy theory is directed at powerful media and political figures, I’m not going to just take their word for it that all is well/nothing to see here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Eh, if the conspiracy theory is directed at powerful media and political figures, I’m not going to just take their word for it that all is well/nothing to see here. 

Interesting.  It’s batshit crazy.  I have family members who think kids are getting raped so Democrat’s and Hollywood elites can drink their blood. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, powderfreak said:

Interesting.  It’s batshit crazy.  I have family members who think kids are getting raped so Democrat’s can drink their blood.

Right? I mean how do people (and lots of them) believe this crap? It just seems like those that do, are  uncomfortable with the status quo and want someone to blame and something to believe in. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Right? I mean how do people (and lots of them) believe this crap? It just seems like those that do, are  uncomfortable with the status quo and want someone to blame and something to believe in. 

Yeah it truly shows America is operating in two completely different solar systems.  It’s not even close.  And then the family members will say “These people believe what they hear about COVID!”  I’m thinking... you just told me there are kids in tunnels getting raped and then their blood drained so it can be drank by the wealthy elite.  That’s believable but COVID is a hoax?!  Am I high right now?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Interesting.  It’s batshit crazy.  I have family members who think kids are getting raped so Democrat’s and Hollywood elites can drink their blood. 

Yeah, that stuff is clearly nuts. But I don't think it's nuts to say Hollywood and part of the elite establishment has an issue with pedophilia and child abuse/trafficking. I mean, we all know they do. It's been exposed. Epstein, Corey Feldman, Kevin Spacey, Prince Andrew...

I don't think they drink blood, but some of them definitely traffic in little kids and it is covered up. That's no conspiracy theory, despite what Time or The Atlantic might say...

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Blanket labeling of any questioning as a "conspiracy theory" and discrediting those who question the status quo as "crazy" is an ancient propaganda technique used by authoritarian figures, just FYI...

A few years ago, it was a "conspiracy theory" to believe that the government could force businesses to close and people to wear masks and stay indoors over a virus that is survivable by 99.7% of the population.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Yeah, that stuff is clearly nuts. But I don't think it's nuts to say Hollywood and part of the elite establishment has an issue with pedophilia and child abuse/trafficking. I mean, we all know they do. It's been exposed. Epstein, Corey Feldman, Kevin Spacey, Prince Andrew...

I don't think they drink blood, but some of them definitely traffic in little kids and it is covered up. That's no conspiracy theory, despite what Time or The Atlantic might say...

I know a real life story about Spacey....that dude....oooof. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I know a real life story about Spacey....that dude....oooof. 

Epstein was connected to all sorts of powerful figures and he literally had a jet called the "Lolita Express" that flew to a private child rape island everyone knew about for decades... but Time magazine said this is all a conspiracy theory by Trump people, so case closed I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

For sure there’s sex trafficking going on and has been since the dawn of time...the Epstein documentaries show it.  I don’t think anyone denies that, plenty has been written and investigated there.  The leap is then that Trump is the savior meant to uncover it when he has been known associates with Epstein and all the rest of it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Angus said:

Associating pedophiles with one mainstream political party or the other - that's just buying into hyper-partisan BS. 

I am associating it with the global elite, who for sure are not attached to one party or the other. At that level the labeling between Democrat vs Republican melts away. That's just a fake distinction to keep us lowly types occupied and distracted. The elite are all about themselves and they are in perfect agreement on maintaining the status quo.

I am associating it with the global elite, who for sure are not attached to one party or the other. At that level the labeling between Democrat vs Republican melts away. That's just a fake distinction to keep us lowly types occupied and distracted. The elite are all about themselves and they are in perfect agreement on maintaining the status quo.

That I certainly agree with 100%.