Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

5 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

It's turned into a true flow snow now. You can see how shallow the layer is. The moon is very visible but yet it's pounding snow. It's squeezing out every available drop of moisture. 

Yep was just going to say its hammering here now since the trajectory has truly set up NW. We are behind but fastly approaching over an inch here. 

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yep was just going to say its hammering here now since the trajectory has truly set up NW. We are behind but fastly approaching over an inch here. 

I do well when the flow sets up from 315 to 325 degrees.  Looks to stay that way for 4 to 5 hours before it moves to the 330's. I shut off pretty quickly after that. That's when Boone usually does better though.

• Like 2

I do well when the flow sets up from 315 to 325 degrees.  Looks to stay that way for 4 to 5 hours before it moves to the 330's. I shut off pretty quickly after that. That's when Boone usually does better though.
I do well up to the 340s. There's nothing upstream anywhere near Big Bald's elevation.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Let the dog out at 12:30 and we had what looked to be 1-1.5”, approaching 3” now if not already there. Heading towards Harmon Den area to hunt this morning, I’m expecting 5+ there even at the lower elevation. Radar showed them getting hammered when I went to bed.

ETA:  Definitely had to have scrapped 3” off my truck.  Roads are fine even with it being in the 20’s.  Neighborhood road had a coating on it but that was it.  Around 20 at home, 25 here in town and just a dusting.  Best event since we moved up here in mid-Feb 2019. Think we can end up around 4 if it keeps snowing those small, furious flakes til sunrise.

• Like 3

Still coming down! Still some returns upstream but I doubt I have another inch coming. I measure 10-11" in lots of places but 9"was on my board. I have some really big drifts on the nnw side of the house. I'll try to get behind the house and snap a pic later.

1:30 update: I was wrong! Double digits now.

This was the best nwf event (by a lot) I've seen since moving here! cabcf9d625d3a581c16727aee0dd9096.jpg&key=f1bbd3b229d885278235f800e6d58b780e3aa67911b44831682212c21b9d3f1c

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Still coming down! Still some returns upstream but I doubt I have another inch coming. I measure 10-11" in lots of places but 9"was on my board. I have some really big drifts on the nnw side of the house. I'll try to get behind the house and snap a pic later.

This was the best nwf event I've seen since moving here! 

Dude that is so cool. Set up was just about prefect for you location. Super envious sitting down here in the foothills. 

Talked to a couple on the AT that were on Max Patch this morning, chest deep drifts according to them.  One ridge I walked on had some shin to knee deep drifts.

Yeah, I believe it.. I'm pretty sure these drifts are easily 4'+. The orientation of my house plus the topography make it pile up on that side.

I'm itching to walk up to the top of the bald today. The wife made me promise I wouldn't do it alone anymore (sigh) so I'm looking for a fellow crazy person to go with. My usual hiking partner is battling really aggressive cancer so he can't now.

• Like 2