• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    zurn
    Newest Member
    zurn

2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

33, lightning, thunder, and heavy rain. Can't see the bushes or trees yet to see if maybe there is some ice up in there. It is funny how the temp knows to stop at 33.  

My folks back home in McDowell were expecting a pretty significant ice event but once the clouds rolled in and the temps crept up to 33, they never dropped again. Lots of heavy rain and lightning though!

• Like 4

Not sure what the temp is, but can tell the HEAVY rain saved a lot of ice from forming, at least so far. Still some ice on the trees, but a little bit bummed. 

• Like 2

The dogs and I just took a walk in the woods to check things out. A beautiful glaze of ice on the trees and rhododendrons and crunchy sleet/snow/ice on the ground. Temperature currently at 31 here. 

What a wild night. Snow/sleet/rain/thunder, something for everyone! Fortunately no damage here. Good job by the models on this rare ice event in central Haywood County.

• Like 1

Woke at 5:30 and there was about 1/2” of sleet outside but it’s all gone now. Like Franklin said we need a flood watch in Macon county the creek below the house is out in multiple places.

• Like 1

I think it was mostly rain where I am.  Some ice on the trees.  Is it safe to say that I won’t have anymore ice today?  I am not a fan.

2376852A-8F0D-4190-BA70-1375FFE7A390.jpeg

• Like 3

Rare ice/sleet storm in Maggie. Looks like around .1 to .2 accretion occurred with melting and with a lot of sleet. Power was restored at 7:30 AM.

20210218_085830_compress38.jpg

20210218_085644_compress32.jpg

• Like 7

Little less than Maggie Ace on the other side of the Plott Balsams from the pics my wife sent.  Power out around us but our neighborhood kept it on which that used to be the other way around.  So that’s good. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, franklin NCwx said:

We needed a flood watch instead of a winter storm warning 

I agree, I'm glad we missed the ice but for us in Candler the last three winter storm warnings have turned in to nothing.  Thunder and heavy rain was here also.  We just need one decent storm maybe six inch snowfall and I'll be ready for spring.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah Haywood got hit pretty good.  I know Duke energy and Haywood EMC are working several calls for power being out. I have to admit I was completely wrong on this one. 

It's like we were all talking about yesterday, it's hard to go against what you've experienced over the years. The occasional surprise is part of the fun of being a weather geek.

• Like 1

Light glaze in Boone this morning. Heavy rain in the early morning hours really prevented heavier accumulations. Roads were worse driving home last night than they were going to work this morning.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, cold air aloft said:

It's like we were all talking about yesterday, it's hard to go against what you've experienced over the years. The occasional surprise is part of the fun of being a weather geek.

Oh yeah this was a nice surprise here in Haywood.  Driving home this morning was really cool seeing all the ice everywhere. 

• Like 1