• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

April?, as I recall you were still getting snow in May!

Was I? It must've been a minor one, the last thing I counted was 2.75" on 4/1.  Last winter went on forever, and now it's all a blur.

Nowdays if I don't write something down it's forgotten in 10 minutes lol.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Truthfully im not sure if we see any arctic air. Several years ago I saw were a strong cold front got hung up right at us for days. Places all through Tennessee and even Alabama got impulses of winter weather day after day while we rotted at 40 and rain. I have a feeling that may be the case here. 

• Like 4

Truthfully im not sure if we see any arctic air. Several years ago I saw were a strong cold front got hung up right at us for days. Places all through Tennessee and even Alabama got impulses of winter weather day after day while we rotted at 40 and rain. I have a feeling that may be the case here. 

It sure is an interesting setup. I'm curious to see if being on the apex of the spine of the Apps works out in our favor. Either way, next week sure looks active. 40°and rain isn't all bad. I just hope it's not ice.

And btw, it's a little muddy up here today. We're at 52°. ce3ca6912260921f82b9f46a68ab7b41.jpg&key=52686299775a447ba7adb570d8c854e9f867a7f3c8ef6f52f2d635339a2d460d

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Haven't paid much attention past few days since i realized the cold wasn't getting  over the mountains. I'm in Maggie and don't recall any major ice events in 30yrs it's rain or snow here with sleet at times. Haven't measured but probably 12+ so far this winter and still 2+ months left for possible winter wx.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Als23 said:

Haven't paid much attention past few days since i realized the cold wasn't getting  over the mountains. I'm in Maggie and don't recall any major ice events in 30yrs it's rain or snow here with sleet at times. Haven't measured but probably 12+ so far this winter and still 2+ months left for possible winter wx.  

Yeah I mean im not saying we dont get winter weather but im not holding my breath on the arctic air getting here. Also Haywood does not do well in CAD situations.  As you said its either rain or snow.  But I am very happy with this winter so far and yes we have a couple more months to add onto our totals. 

9 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah I mean im not saying we dont get winter weather but im not holding my breath on the arctic air getting here. Also Haywood does not do well in CAD situations.  As you said its either rain or snow.  But I am very happy with this winter so far and yes we have a couple more months to add onto our totals. 

It can happen. I remember mid 80s walking on rafters trying to get a house dried in. Freezing rain for few hrs then the trees started falling. It was like incoming fire. We were like 4.5k ft so probably weakened trees from acid rain. There was no wind just frozen precip. 

• Like 2

Something tells me we're going to have a wet, cold, windy, miserable April. I hate that worst of all.

Tried to take a little hike on some trails around the house today and it was horrible. I sank half way up my boots in mud a lot of places. This is the time of year that if it's not going to snow then I wish it would dry out for awhile.

• Like 7

Some freezing rain up north tonight.

Ashe-Alleghany NC-Watauga-Grayson-
Including the cities of West Jefferson, Sparta, Boone,
Independence, Whitetop, Troutdale, and Volney
405 AM EST Thu Feb 11 2021

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO
NOON EST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Freezing rain expected. Total ice accumulations of a
  light glaze.

* WHERE...In Virginia, Grayson County. In North Carolina, Ashe,
  Alleghany NC and Watauga Counties.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to noon EST Friday.

On 2/10/2021 at 8:01 PM, SnoJoe said:

Something tells me we're going to have a wet, cold, windy, miserable April. I hate that worst of all...

I am with you on that; nothing I dislike more than winter in April and beyond...  As I have said before I still have PTSD from getting denied a spring last year; I did go back and look at the "spring" summer thread 2020 and saw folks report seeing flakes flying on May 9 :(.  I have a less than stellar memory but it seems over the past 10 years or so the teleconnections more often that not set up for cold trough in the east and ridge out west normally in early March (as I recall late March or beginning of April of last year).  We have had some pretty warm periods in February.  Not that this has anything to do with the future but having a cold February this year maybe we get a spring pattern in March or April.  I dream this year of sitting out on the deck on a warm April evening hearing the birds and perhaps some spring peepers but still fear the cold winter wind sending me inside for shelter.  Cheers to hoping for a warm spring :sizzle:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

The flooding threat has my interest piqued. Its usually the area we can always score!

I’m gonna start calling you the anti-Jshetley, whereas it was always about it being dry and drought with him lately it’s you honking about rain and flooding lol.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WxKnurd said:

I think it started with the Danville flooding while you were there ha.  All I know is I’m so looking forward to fishing a kayak tourney Saturday on Norman in 30 degree rain :yikes:

That might be true. That flooding was crazy, never seen anything like it. Good luck in the tourney!

Hey y'all Blacksburg, VA checking in here.  Hope this is the right thread.  We've got a hodge podge forecast like everyone else.  34 and light-moderate rain - temp dropped 5 degrees in the last 2 hrs. so that might mean something.  And FCX radar is down, which adds to the excitement.  Cheers! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, r1ga said:

Hey y'all Blacksburg, VA checking in here.  Hope this is the right thread.  We've got a hodge podge forecast like everyone else.  34 and light-moderate rain - temp dropped 5 degrees in the last 2 hrs. so that might mean something.  And FCX radar is down, which adds to the excitement.  Cheers! 

Welcome! Yes you are in the right thread.

12 hours ago, r1ga said:

I went to grad school at VT.  Really enjoyed my time living in Blacksburg.  Welcome to the mountain thread.

• jburns unpinned this topic