Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
August Banter 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

I'm in Fairfax County with an incoming 1st grader who has discussed pod solutions with other parents.  The only takeaway from the Superintendent's note was that they aren't going to juggle their classroom assignments due to parents wanting pods.  Leave it to the Federalist to blow it out of proportion.

The statement they made was that it is unfair for some parents to use tutors or these “pods” because other students lack those opportunities. It creates inequality. You good with that?

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

The statement they made was that it is unfair for some parents to use tutors or these “pods” because other students lack those opportunities. It creates inequality. You good with that?

No, the exact wording is that "While FCPS doesn’t and can’t control these private tutoring groups, we do have concerns that they may widen the gap in educational access and equity for all students."  That is 100% accurate.  The rest of the statement says that FCPS won't rearrange their classrooms to accommodate these private pods.  I'm ok with that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mappy said:

shrimp in parm and garlic sauce with noodles and steamed veggies probably. 

Well recipe change. We are out of milk and Mr. J wants to wait for our milk delivery tomorrow. Makes sense he likes to limit interactions out in the stores. So making Pork Souvlaki with Lebanese potato salad.

• Like 1

Just now, Mrs.J said:

Well recipe change. We are out of milk and Mr. J wants to wait for our milk delivery tomorrow. Makes sense he likes to limit interactions out in the stores. So making Pork Souvlaki with Lebanese potato salad.

screw my dinner, I'm coming over for yours. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

No, the exact wording is that "While FCPS doesn’t and can’t control these private tutoring groups, we do have concerns that they may widen the gap in educational access and equity for all students."  That is 100% accurate.  The rest of the statement says that FCPS won't rearrange their classrooms to accommodate these private pods.  I'm ok with that.  

Weird that you cut off part of the quote while posting part of it. 

While FCPS doesn’t and can’t control these private tutoring groups, we do have concerns that they may widen the gap in educational access and equity for all students. Many parents cannot afford private instruction. Many working families can’t provide transportation to and from a tutoring pod, even if they could afford to pay for the service.”

If you are ok with this agenda-driven guilt trip, that’s your prerogative. Makes me wonder what the school district is saying behind closed doors. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Weird that you cut off part of the quote while posting part of it. 

While FCPS doesn’t and can’t control these private tutoring groups, we do have concerns that they may widen the gap in educational access and equity for all students. Many parents cannot afford private instruction. Many working families can’t provide transportation to and from a tutoring pod, even if they could afford to pay for the service.”

If you are ok with this agenda-driven guilt trip, that’s your prerogative. Makes me wonder what the school district is saying behind closed doors. 

Still 100% accurate.  They aren't instructing people not to do what is best for their kids, but they are not going to make changes to their process to facilitate unequal access.

I have to chime in here. 

I think people are so zeroed in on one thing and because they are rational thought is lacking. If you look at CDC stats, in the age group 5-24 which is gonna include almost all students even through college, there were 80 times more deaths from other causes than corona in the time period Feb 1 through August 1. 80 times! So before anyone makes this about keeping kids safe, they might need to consider that there are far bigger hazards to those same kids. If the argument is made that it’s to stop the spread to more vulnerable groups, they need to realize that those groups have bigger concerns also. Even in the age group above 85, they are still 10 times more likely to die from something else. All of this information is available on the CDC website. Funny that we never hear about this though isn’t it.

Fact is no one will ever be totally safe. Before or after corona. Life just doesn’t provide you with that type of security. We take precautions of course but what we are seeing here could easily be considered a knee jerk reaction. And the reactions are causing more problems than the event that preceded them.

We take precautions all the time, from vehicle safety to food safety to preventative medical procedures. That’s all we can do here. Then we just have to move on with life.

Here is the link to the CDC stats:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Still 100% accurate.  They aren't instructing people not to do what is best for their kids, but they are not going to make changes to their process to facilitate unequal access.

They are literally telling you that your actions as a parent in trying to help your children get ahead are creating inequalities in society. How is that acceptable to you as a parent? Sure, you can ignore it, but these are the people setting the curriculum for the school. It’s crazy. 

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

So how about that win by the O's last night? It was ugly as anything...but those game totals sure looked lovely as Joe Angel would have said. 

My preseason pick of 9-51 is in peril. :) 

And the Nats has started to play better too.  Now lets see what the Caps do today.

That's kinda what I've arrived at. A completely bizarre year, Red Sox are clearly dealing with something after letting Betts go. Blue Jays and Rays are fine but not invincible and top two teams make it in each division so...why not (the redux) indeed. They are just frisky enough in this environment that it's fun to watch and root for. Also, I really trust Hyde - I think he's got a chance to be a really great manager over time and works well with what they have assembled. Scrappy and underdog can sometimes work in a sprint...

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic