• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August Banter 2020

George BM

In the event there is a rain delay during an MLB game this season, there is one significant new rule in place for how it will be handled on the schedule.

Prior to 2020, when the visiting team made 15 outs with the home team leading or the home team made 15 outs regardless of the score, that contest is considered an "official game." If bad weather forced the game to be postponed before reaching either threshold, it was would be called off and restarted at a later date.

This year, games that didn't reach the designation of an official will be paused where they are and picked up where they left off once the teams are able to play again. The rule is only in place for the 2020 season in an effort to limit the amount of time players and personnel are on the field.

Once a game reaches the official game status, MLB's original rain delay rules remain in effect.

What am I missing here? Wasn't the game in the top of the 6th?

I mean, yeah, I have been drinking, but this still doesn't seem right.

21 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Why is Chris Davis still an Oriole?

He still has a couple years left on his huge contact but he flat out can't hit. Batting  .125 this year. 

Its just silly running him out there everyday. It's the equivalent of the pitchers spot in the NL.

I feel bad for the guy. He's really a good dude. Does alot in the community and does alot of charity. 

He just has so many holes in his swing that his hit zone in so small.

He should go back on the juice for one more big run and then retire. 

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Seriously? That was like the tiniest cell. Not like it rained for hours. Grounds crew must have seriously effed it up I guess.

Oh, yeah. They totally effed it up. Ben McDonald’s quote at one point when things were really tangled up was something like, “That looks like my new open face fishing reel.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/nationals-grounds-crew-hilariously-struggles-to-unroll-tarp-during-rain-delay-191207071.html

• Haha 2

Just now, nw baltimore wx said:

Oh, yeah. They totally effed it up. Ben McDonald’s quote at one point when things were really tangled up was something like, “That looks like my new open face fishing reel.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/nationals-grounds-crew-hilariously-struggles-to-unroll-tarp-during-rain-delay-191207071.html

I still need an answer as to why this is not an official game. The rules are clear. Unless there are some new exceptions in place due to the shortened season..but that wouldn't make any sense in this case.

6 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I still need an answer as to why this is not an official game. The rules are clear. Unless there are some new exceptions in place due to the shortened season..but that wouldn't make any sense in this case.

Apparently the game can’t end because of a ‘malfunction’. They are considering the tarp not being able to roll out, as a malfunction and not attributing the end of the game because of rain/field conditions

1 minute ago, Baltimorewx said:

Apparently the game can’t end because of a ‘malfunction’. They are considering the tarp not being able to roll out, as a malfunction and not attributing the end of the game because of rain/field conditions

That cannot override the fact that they completed 5 innings, which occurred regardless of any "technical difficulties". 

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Yea...That's not how we play ball where I'm from . Smells fishy

Not like its going to make a difference in the end, but ineptitude in rolling out a tarp has nothing to do with the fact that both teams recorded 15 outs, and the game was not tied. That is an official game.

I guess this makes sense- the game was not called because of rain- rather due to ineptitude in rolling out a freaking tarp lol. Still ridiculous. 

With Baltimore up in the sixth, the rain came, lasting just 20 minutes. But the game was held up for more than two hours before it was called, while attempts were made to make the soaked infield dirt usable.

But because of the tarp issue -- deemed "mechanical error," according to Martinez -- the game was suspended, rather than ended.

"Our guys were ready to play," Hyde said. "It's just unfortunate things happened the way they happened."

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

I guess this makes sense- the game was not called because of rain- rather due to ineptitude in rolling out a freaking tarp lol. Still ridiculous. 

That’s basically what I was trying to say. The game can’t end on a mechanical issue or malfunction. They are considering it the same thing as say if a sky top dome mechanically broke and wouldn’t cover the field. It’s stupid I agree cuz in the end, the game can’t be played because of field conditions but oh well. 2020 strikes again 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Hyde handled the presser well but he was peeved. That rule for “mechanical malfunctions” was written for mechanical roofs and tarps. Not human error.

The rules actually directly address operator error/tarp malfunction lol. Who knew.

7.02 Suspended, Postponed, and Tie Games

(a) A game shall become a suspended game that must be completed at a future date if the game is terminated for any of the following reasons:

(1) A curfew imposed by law;

(2) A time limit permissible under league rules;

(3) Light failure, malfunction of, or unintentional operator error in employing, a mechanical or field device or equipment under the control of the home Club (e.g., a retractable roof, a tarpaulin, or other water removal equipment);

(4) Darkness, when a law prevents the lights from being turned on;

(5) Weather, if a regulation game is called while an inning is in progress and before the inning is completed, and the visiting team has scored one or more runs to take the lead, and the home team has not retaken the lead; or....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Pretty terrible situation just a mile down the street from here with the explosion. We were playing our morning backgammon game, heard the explosion, the house shook, and I went out and walked around the house because it felt that close.

Fireworks?

49 minutes ago, fourseasons said:

Big 10 has announced no football season.  PAC-12 expected to follow soon.

Its not gonna happen for college football.

If the NFL somehow manages to make it work, they can switch up game times and have televised football games all weekend. They will own the sports market for fall and early winter.

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Pretty terrible situation just a mile down the street from here with the explosion. We were playing our morning backgammon game, heard the explosion, the house shook, and I went out and walked around the house because it felt that close.

Glad you're alright. Been watching it on WBAL since it happened. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic