• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
STILL N OF PIKE

I had a squamous cell carcinoma on the top of my head removed in December 2014.  I was at a meeting in DC and this prominent dermatologist I’m friends with and I were walking to dinner.  He’s done tons of research and one thing stuck. He said if I get it again it’s probably a death sentence.  I don’t go to the beach before 4-5pm and never without a hat and plenty of sun block. I remove my shirt if I swim but otherwise cover. You learn the hard way sometimes.  I was throw caution to the wind before the MOHS procedure.  Thankfully they got it all with clear margins the first cut.  Be careful!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

sounds awfully similar to drinking too much

Ha, I feel like in college we'd wake up on Saturday morning and say "never again"... only to be like at 5pm that evening like well, maybe a little bit to take the edge off and then next thing you know it's 2am in downtown Burlington again.

79/58 on yet another summer evening.  It does feel noticeably less humid, though still summer. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I had a squamous cell carcinoma on the top of my head removed in December 2014.  I was at a meeting in DC and this prominent dermatologist I’m friends with and I were walking to dinner.  He’s done tons of research and one thing stuck. He said if I get it again it’s probably a death sentence.  I don’t go to the beach before 4-5pm and never without a hat and plenty of sun block. I remove my shirt if I swim but otherwise cover. You learn the hard way sometimes.  I was throw caution to the wind before the MOHS procedure.  Thankfully they got it all with clear margins the first cut.  Be careful!

I had a bad sunburn in my 20s, cancerous and precancerous growths pretty regular now. Unfortunately on my face, lip, etc

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

93/74 HX 102 North Haven. High of 95.

Thats my boy Ethan.

BTW i made the mistake of not wearing sun screen a little over a week ago. Thursday 7/9/20. It was about 90 that day. And i got the worse sunburn of my life.

Wear sunscreen folks.

sunburn1.thumb.jpg.4e77afb40e775e5a00f5265ad5349a47.jpgsunburn2.thumb.jpg.b2a70b9cfa7d126b4c916a4df82126d1.jpg

My wife’s a dermatologist and I showed this to her and she said well goddamn and then threw up in her mouth just a little...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

Jun 11, 1984 · ... the Ramones, Jon Butcher Axis and David Johansen at Cheshire Fairgrounds in Swanzey New Hampshire. Absolutely no shade and all day drinking. Lots of drunk, passed out kids with unimaginable sunburns. They were carting them away in ambulances.

Good line-up!  I was only 16 and couldn't go for some reason but I had friends that did.  Can't remember if any got burned. 

74/62 right now, nice evening.  Hopefully last night of A/C this week.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr. Dews said:

I had a bad sunburn in my 20s, cancerous and precancerous growths pretty regular now. Unfortunately on my face, lip, etc

Runs in my family... my father has had several cancerous skin growths removed.  My sister is following in his footsteps.  I've been good since that one wake up call.  The sun means business.

• Like 1

Some sun is good. Too much is bad. Obviously if you’re pastey white your genes are inherited from ancestors that evolved to not need much sun. The less melanin in your skin, the faster you can make vitamin D from minimal UV exposure. Of course that also means less protection from the sun. I can burn pretty quickly early in the season so I have to limit myself until my body adjusts and at least tries to produce a little melanin in my skin. 

A lot of research has shown that the UVA is the nasty wavelength of UV wrt cancers even though it doesn’t produce much of a burn. A lot of truck drivers deal with skin cancers on their left arms or left side of their face eventually in life since the glass of their windows blocks the UVB but not the UVA. So even though the UVB will cause you the most pain with surface burns, the UVA goes deeper into your skin.

Also, getting some infrared light before being out in the sun can help minimize burning later in the day. Very early sun has a higher IR:UV ratio so getting some at 8am can prime you to handle the midday UV a bit better. There’s IR saunas available in some areas too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kdxken said:

temp.jpg

Well then, I stand corrected and inserted my foot fully into my mouth, ha. 

That's incredible.  They must have very low variance.  Like BDL and ORH are +3.0 or a bit above... PVD is a full degree below that or more.

June was +1.9 and July is +1.6 so far.  If that is top 10, maybe its a short period of record?  Or do they really not have that much variance from summer to summer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

Jun 11, 1984 · ... the Ramones, Jon Butcher Axis and David Johansen at Cheshire Fairgrounds in Swanzey New Hampshire. Absolutely no shade and all day drinking. Lots of drunk, passed out kids with unimaginable sunburns. They were carting them away in ambulances.

Went to a concert at the Yale bowl in the 80's Eagles, Heart and Little River Band, was a high of 99 I believe with high dews, dudes passing out all over the place. I was smart and wore a hat and put on sunscreen, about the only time I was smart in my 20's.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Went to a concert at the Yale bowl in the 80's Eagles, Heart and Little River Band, was a high of 99 I believe with high dews, dudes passing out all over the place. I was smart and wore a hat and put on sunscreen, about the only time I was smart in my 20's.

Heart was one of my first concerts. 1977 the Hatch shell. I watched from the top of concession building (59 second mark).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Skin cancer potential from sunburn is pretty terrifying. This is something I worry about alot. One of my best friends from high school had his father pass away from skin cancer due to sunburns he would get when he was growing up. 

14 years ago my wife, a 2nd generation Norwegian American with typical Nordic complexion, visited her sister on Oahu in early June, when the noonday sun is nearly straight up.  Only 30 midday minutes and she had sun poisoning enough to be nauseated and had to stay inside for 2 days.  At the ER that afternoon, the DR, a typical Hawaiian, said that she had drastically increased her chances for future skin cancer, saying that his brown skin was meant for sun but her paleness definitely was not.  So far so good, and since we had our 49th anniversary last month, she/we aren't exactly young.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

14 years ago my wife, a 2nd generation Norwegian American with typical Nordic complexion, visited her sister on Oahu in early June, when the noonday sun is nearly straight up.  Only 30 midday minutes and she had sun poisoning enough to be nauseated and had to stay inside for 2 days.  At the ER that afternoon, the DR, a typical Hawaiian, said that she had drastically increased her chances for future skin cancer, saying that his brown skin was meant for sun but her paleness definitely was not.  So far so good, and since we had our 49th anniversary last month, she/we aren't exactly young.

A thriving partnership of 49 years is a descriptive definition and formula for remaining young. As always ....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

So her sister somehow must have adapted?