• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Banter 2020

George BM

For anyone who wanted a follow-up to my post yesterday, I have good news- my son is doing a lot better. No one knows what was wrong (including his pediatrician) but he suddenly had a 104 fever, chills, weakness, no appetite and abdominal pain. This lasted about 2 days. His exam and tests were all normal (except for some swollen glands). None of us got sick either, so... fingers crossed.

Hoping we don’t get any tropical impacts here- after the deluge Monday night, I’ve got a ton of erosion problems that need to be fixed (even worse than summer 2018).

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2020 at 4:22 PM, nw baltimore wx said:

Our hydrangea is doing well too! I took this pic on Sunday.

image.jpeg.36061f6bd9f48cda9f6f1326460cf233.jpeg

Seeing this photo reminds me of a time a bunch of years ago when a friend of mine, in the same conversation, was gushing about a new relationship she was in and also mentioned her favorite flowers:  yellow tulips and blue hydrangea.  Knowing who he was, about half an hour later he had an email in his inbox informing him of this flower preference.  He would have known me by name, but likely not by face.

Four days later, 10 p.m. on February 14, I got a phone call:  "It was YOU!!!!!!"  Well, yeah.  You unwittingly offered up actionable intelligence, I was a nice person, and he would have been an idiot not to get in touch with a florist so you could be the envy of a bunch of your coworkers.

I most certainly got an invitation to their wedding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fourseasons said:

Seeing this photo reminds me of a time a bunch of years ago when a friend of mine, in the same conversation, was gushing about a new relationship she was in and also mentioned her favorite flowers:  yellow tulips and blue hydrangea.  Knowing who he was, about half an hour later he had an email in his inbox informing him of this flower preference.  He would have known me by name, but likely not by face.

Four days later, 10 p.m. on February 14, I got a phone call:  "It was YOU!!!!!!"  Well, yeah.  You unwittingly offered up actionable intelligence, I was a nice person, and he would have been an idiot not to get in touch with a florist so you could be the envy of a bunch of your coworkers.

I most certainly got an invitation to their wedding.

That’s a great story! Thanks for sharing.

I’m sure this is common knowledge, but it’s pretty easy to change the colors of a hydrangea by changing the pH value of the soil, but I don’t have a preference, so I let it do whatever it wants. Interestingly, mine was all blue the last two years, and now it’s mixed. I guess it will look like @Mrs.J’s soon.

19 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m sure this is common knowledge, but it’s pretty easy to change the colors of a hydrangea by changing the pH value of the soil, but I don’t have a preference, so I let it do whatever it wants. Interestingly, mine was all blue the last two years, and now it’s mixed. I guess it will look like @Mrs.J’s soon.

The bridal shower taught me a very important lesson:  Check the "I bought it" box on the registry, because even if you think it's not possible that someone else will buy what you did for the shower, someone will and you'll be the person graciously volunteering to return a chainsaw to Home Depot.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yep I have wanted to mess with the pH but have left it alone. It has actually gotten too big for our small yard. Was supposed to be a Mini. Going to dig it up this fall and take it my daughters trainer’s house as she has a bigger yard up on a mountain. I will miss it but it needs a better home. 

• Like 1

Attached a picture of the Lord Baltimore Hibiscus blooming in my yard. I highly recommend the Lord and Lady Baltimore Hibiscus to anyone in this region that wants to grow flowers- they are the most weather, pest and disease resistant plants I've ever seen (and believe me, not many plants survive in my yard lol).

IMG_4844.JPG

• Like 3

19 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

For anyone who wanted a follow-up to my post yesterday, I have good news- my son is doing a lot better. No one knows what was wrong (including his pediatrician) but he suddenly had a 104 fever, chills, weakness, no appetite and abdominal pain. This lasted about 2 days. His exam and tests were all normal (except for some swollen glands). None of us got sick either, so... fingers crossed.

Hoping we don’t get any tropical impacts here- after the deluge Monday night, I’ve got a ton of erosion problems that need to be fixed (even worse than summer 2018).

yikes, glad the kiddo is okay. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

My wife’s name is on the list of hurricane names this year- that’s the one that will be the cat 5 up the Bay later this year (now you all have to figure out which name it is so you can prepare!) :lol:

Is her name one of these three? : 

Laura 

Paulette 

Sally

• Haha 1

I (my gf) buzzed my hair the other night. First time ever. It's weird but also nice. I feel like I can go days without showering now. 

Also I'm gonna try to be back. I have missed the more focused and friendly discussion of this place lately. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

I (my gf) buzzed my hair the other night. First time ever. It's weird but also nice. I feel like I can go days without showering now. 

I had been threatening my wife for years that I was going to do it.  About three weeks in I got the trimmer out and I am never going back. 

The one thing that is really striking is not having to worry what your hair looks like after getting out of bed or putting on a shirt.  It is always the same.  That is a huge deal for people with, um, thinning hair.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ian said:

Also I'm gonna try to be back. I have missed the more focused and friendly discussion of this place lately. 

I've done 3 haircuts myself or with a little bit of help from wife/kids.  Each time with similar results but each time a little different as I learn what I like/don't.  Its been interesting and havent screwed up too badly.

Short hair ftmfw tho.  So easy to deal with.

59 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I had been threatening my wife for years that I was going to do it.  About three weeks in I got the trimmer out and I am never going back. 

The one thing that is really striking is not having to worry what your hair looks like after getting out of bed or putting on a shirt.  It is always the same.  That is a huge deal for people with, um, thinning hair.

Mr Map has been cutting his own hair for years, and its easy peasy now. I do help him with the back of his neck, which I too have gotten much better at making sure its just right. Glad you've found good success with at home haircuts!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian said:

That would be awesome. Welcome back, if so.

• Like 1

I was about to do it months ago but then I chickened out. Had a few kitchen cuts when we went to CT for a while this spring -- still was in dire need. It was just a buzz at a 3... not sure I super love it but it might not be bad a bit longer. we'll see. different! and certainly much easier to deal with. the heat hurts a little less... unless I get a sunburn on my head. 

1 hour ago, H2O said:

I've done 3 haircuts myself or with a little bit of help from wife/kids.  Each time with similar results but each time a little different as I learn what I like/don't.  Its been interesting and havent screwed up too badly.

Short hair ftmfw tho.  So easy to deal with.

Been hacking on mine since this started, no one to help at the house, so what happens is what it is lol. I haven't CAUGHT anyone laughing......yet.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic