Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4/17-18 snow threat

ORH_wxman

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I wasn’t here yet. Was still in NJ till 79. I often wonder how much there was here. My guess is something similar to Foxboro . Maybe Will would know ?

Hard to say as I didn't have any good data from NE CT when I made the May '77 map. I only had the Storrs coop which is lower elevation. I even checked old newspapers back then when I made the map. My guess is Tolland probably at least got warning snowfall....but hard to say whether it was 6" or 10". Most of CT south of about HFD didn't report measurable, so there was definitely less cooling as you headed south.

May1977snowfall.png

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Hard to say as I didn't have any good data from NE CT when I made the May '77 map. I only had the Storrs coop which is lower elevation. I even checked old newspapers back then when I made the map. My guess is Tolland probably at least got warning snowfall....but hard to say whether it was 6" or 10". Most of CT south of about HFD didn't report measurable, so there was definitely less cooling as you headed south.

May1977snowfall.png

Your map gets shared all over without anyone giving you credit 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

May1977snowfall.png

I was figuring if the Litchfield hills had that much then there must have been a solid 8-10” here up to Union 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Still looks similar to last night I think. They'll be a narrow area where it comes down good, and then we'll see if it can wrap up with a little mid level magic to end. 

Euro still colder at 925mb than NAM/GFS. Would like to see the latter tick a bit colder but it's definitely a decent look. 

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

Euro still colder at 925mb than NAM/GFS. Would like to see the latter tick a bit colder but it's definitely a decent look. 

NAM finally ticked colder. If 12z ticks colder, than I know where we stand. The EPS is still pretty cold, so I'm not sure how much this can go north? 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Still looks similar to last night I think. They'll be a narrow area where it comes down good, and then we'll see if it can wrap up with a little mid level magic to end. 

Could be a weenie band at the end that is underforecasted. That is a pretty sweet look in the midlevels. Only limiting factor might be that the tail end is during the daylight hours so it will be fighting the April 18th sun angle.

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

May1977snowfall.png

We had considerable snow way down in SRI where I was living. My handwritten notes said 4 inches in the valley and 6 at elevation.  Melted as fast as it fell which is probably why it didn't get recorded 

• Like 2

Yeah, NAM is still pretty torchy for CT/RI/SE MA....it is the northern outlier, but it has been fairly stubborn...it's not quite as far north as yesterday, but it is a little warmer than the 06z run, so no continued south trend.

We'll see what the RGEM says in a bit.

That's an impressive look though...really good fronto for the pike region and even up toward the NH border.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah, NAM is still pretty torchy for CT/RI/SE MA....it is the northern outlier, but it has been fairly stubborn...it's not quite as far north as yesterday, but it is a little warmer than the 06z run, so no continued south trend.

We'll see what the RGEM says in a bit.

That's an impressive look though...really good fronto for the pike region and even up toward the NH border.

I always hate when nam is stubborn like this with the best mid level placement. It usually has a knack for being the first to pick up on the exact placement. That being said, the euro has be real steady with this for the last 3-4 days.