Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4/17-18 snow threat

ORH_wxman

1 minute ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

We had 3" of snow falling on fully leafed out trees here in October of 2015, 10" of slop in 2011 and didn't lose power here.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Maybe you but October 2011 was devastating on the whole for CT power wise, no?

Yeah, I'm not predicting anyone's backyard here, just that 3+ inches of wet snow will start to take down branches. 

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

White Pines seem to come down if you look at them the wrong way... 3” of slop certainly starts cracking those evergreen branches.

We had zero leaf out in my neighborhood and I measured 3.7" out of the last event. We definitely had some large branches down, just lucky that none in the immediate vicinity took out any lines. Though my particular development is buried lines, they start running underground 200 yards up the street. 

55 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Hellacious thump here though... was a net gain in my eyes at 12z. I could give a crap if the margins are non accumulating snow or slush, if the meat of the storm is a paster here I’ll take it 

It is, but it's a fine line between nothing and 3". If it moves north..so does the area of little snow. Just watch for it. I do think you would get a decent front end even if it did flip to rain.

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

We’ll see... still another day to sort it out.

I don't mean it will happen, but if it did I would not be shocked. 10 or 15 miles is easy to do. Looks like 18z is fairly similar to me. If anything the low might be a bit weaker.