Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Gotta say, I’m loving Zoom. Works like a charm. I somewhat never want to do in-person meetings again. Saves a lot of travel time.

We switched to Zoom less than a month ago and it is working perfectly.  Had a big meeting earlier this week and did the multiple breakout rooms and everything.  Stellar.  There is a lot of fretting at the higher levels about productivity, but with the lower number of meetings, no travel, and few distractions, our core productivity is way up.

3 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

So anyone wearing a mask when going out to get groceries now?

I am heading out shortly. I have a legit respirator for spraying bad shiit. Maybe I will wear it. Should get some interesting looks.

I went to grab groceries at lunchtime today and I'd say 60-70% of people were wearing masks.  Felt like being in a hospital.  It was legit creepy.

Just now, MN Transplant said:

I went to grab groceries at lunchtime today and I'd say 60-70% of people were wearing masks.  Felt like being in a hospital.  It was legit creepy.

I just got back from Giant. I saw quite a bit of that too. Also saw a completely empty TP aisle. A truly bizarre quirk of human nature.

Might have to go get a bidet kit. :yikes:

42 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I just got back from Giant. I saw quite a bit of that too. Also saw a completely empty TP aisle. A truly bizarre quirk of human nature.

Might have to go get a bidet kit. :yikes:

A couple months ago before any of this was even really a thought, my gf was stock piling TP and PTs from Walgreens online because they kept doing crazy cheap deals. I was going to Walgreens to pick up an online order like every week. I was like babe wtf why are you buying all this damn TP and PT, she said I’m practicing my coupon/discount buying. Doesn’t seem like such a bad idea now:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

A couple months ago before any of this was even really a thought, my gf was stock piling TP and PTs from Walgreens online because they kept doing crazy cheap deals. I was going to Walgreens to pick up an online order like every week. I was like babe wtf why are you buying all this damn TP and PT, she said I’m practicing my coupon/discount buying. Doesn’t seem like such a bad idea now:lol:

Yeah that worked out.

21 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I kind of wonder how we will collectively be psychologically after this. Like, are we going to be collectively traumatized, nervous to go outside and interact with others? You see it in Wuhan, which has opened up but people are staying inside.

Yeah this is a good point. We all now realize what needs to be done for now and over the coming weeks, but at the same time many of us are thinking about plans we have made for the summer months, and whether or not they are even realistic at this point. Along those lines, most of us will probably respect and be fearful of the potential for a "relapse", or whatever the proper term is in the context of a pandemic, if we get 'back to normal' too quickly. Interesting times ahead.

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah this is a good point. We all now realize what needs to be done for now and over the coming weeks, but at the same time many of us are thinking about plans we have made for the summer months, and whether or not they are even realistic at this point. Along those lines, most of us will probably respect and be fearful of the potential for a "relapse", or whatever the proper term is in the context of a pandemic, if we get 'back to normal' too quickly. Interesting times ahead.

Exactly. Like can you even imagine going in a crowded restaurant right now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

We switched to Zoom less than a month ago and it is working perfectly.  Had a big meeting earlier this week and did the multiple breakout rooms and everything.  Stellar.  There is a lot of fretting at the higher levels about productivity, but with the lower number of meetings, no travel, and few distractions, our core productivity is way up.

Same thing at my company with Microsoft Teams. As an international company, the majority of our meetings were already done virtually, so it's been business as usual the last few weeks. It's actually been really nice to work from home and productivity has been up company-wide. I imagine most businesses going forward will become more lenient about work-from-home or even go entirely remote which will save businesses money in operating costs and employees money and time on travel.

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

Exactly. Like can you even imagine going in a crowded restaurant right now?

Honestly no. I love going to Rehoboth and going to DFH and all the other cool places, but after a couple months of basically staying at home, that will be a weird transition to make. I mean I am longing for it in my mind, probably even more than usual given the circumstances,  but I may be a little hesitant when we are given the "all clear".

• Like 1

I kind of wonder how we will collectively be psychologically after this. Like, are we going to be collectively traumatized, nervous to go outside and interact with others? You see it in Wuhan, which has opened up but people are staying inside.

This is why I really don’t think anything will start back up until a vaccine is available.

Good luck getting me to go back to my college campus and hopping into a larger lecture or a dining hall. I’d probably end up taking a really useless gap year, honestly.
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I think that's more likely than not, especially if there's a the possibility of a resurgence and no vaccine until 2021. On the other hand, I imagine there will be a lot of people currently going stir-crazy who will immediately return to business as usual as soon as the quarantine is lifted. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Winter Wizard said:

I think that's more likely than not, especially if there's a the possibility of a resurgence and no vaccine until 2021. On the other hand, I imagine there will be a lot of people currently going stir-crazy who will immediately return to business as usual as soon as the quarantine is lifted. 

I think there will be a sizeable portion of people who _want_ to return to business as usual, but I think business as usual will be hard to achieve until we collectively feel safe and we reestablish social norms after being stuck in isolation for so long.

2 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I think there will be a sizeable portion of people who _want_ to return to business as usual, but I think business as usual will be hard to achieve until we collectively feel safe and we reestablish social norms after being stuck in isolation for so long.

Agree wholeheartedly with all of this. That's why I think when the stay-at-home order is lifted, it will be eased gradually instead of just returning to normal all at once. I don't see large gatherings happening for a long time after, for example.

1 minute ago, Winter Wizard said:

Agree wholeheartedly with all of this. That's why I think when the stay-at-home order is lifted, it will be eased gradually instead of just returning to normal all at once. I don't see large gatherings happening for a long time after, for example.

Will that type of recent memory restrictions/fear keep the stadiums empty when sporting events resume? As always...

1 hour ago, supernovasky said:

It will be a long LONG time before I feel comfortable in amusement parks again. Germ factories on the rides and restraints and water parks in the normal course of events, that’s gonna feel skeevy now for quite awhile.

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The thing that gets me about that gif is the complete business as usual approach from the sibling. I’ve had some of those moments. In my youth. lol 

Yup, same. I’m the oldest of three :lol: 

2 hours ago, GATECH said:

Am I the only one that read this like you were talking about your BM’s, in referencing H2Os comment?  ..fine, easy and quick...

Who said I wasn’t ;) 

• Haha 1

Just now, rclab said:

Will that type of recent memory restrictions/fear keep the stadiums empty when sporting events resume? As always...

Regardless of what the NFL says, if sporting events do return, they will likely be held in empty stadiums until we get the all clear. Otherwise I'm sure people would still flock to games, but I have to imagine numbers would be down due to fear and other psychological effects. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

It will be a long LONG time before I feel comfortable in amusement parks again. Germ factories on the rides and restraints and water parks in the normal course of events, that’s gonna feel skeevy now for quite awhile.

Wading into the ocean from a crowded beach may give a similar feel, regardless of the don’t do it in the water mores. As always ....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Winter Wizard said:

Regardless of what the NFL says, if sporting events do return, they will likely be held in empty stadiums until we get the all clear. Otherwise I'm sure people would still flock to games, but I have to imagine numbers would be down due to fear and other psychological effects. 

Unlike all other major sports, the NFL has been "lucky" so far. This pandemic is occurring at a time when the only event impacted is the draft- and that can go on as scheduled, just under highly modified circumstances. Going forward, they are going to have to come to grips with reality. OTAs, and potentially training camps will be directly impacted, which will ultimately affect the regular season.

3 hours ago, H2O said:

And as far as groceries.  I've taken out two loans both times I've gone.  $300 each time.  And I am getting nothing but crap food.  Some of it has been based off availability.  Like last week all that was left in meat was meatloaf mix and chicken feet.  This week i got ground beef and breasts.  But TP still gone as was every pasta known to mankind.

I had my own hand sanitizer I took the first time and used it like whoa.  the second time I wore gloves the entire time and put the groceries away myself.  Gloves were then thrown into the wash.  They were cotton gloves.  It was only me and the cashier that handled the food.  Gotta trust that the cashier was healthy.

It seems to be varying by location as well. I've had perfectly fine luck finding pasta, but yeah, TP is gone everywhere and seemingly is not being restocked. Meat has been decent at the places I've been too. I guess time of day matters too. 

11 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

It seems to be varying by location as well. I've had perfectly fine luck finding pasta, but yeah, TP is gone everywhere and seemingly is not being restocked. Meat has been decent at the places I've been too. I guess time of day matters too. 

It's been interesting what's available at what stores, that's for sure.  TP and even kleenex has been non-existent or in short supply nearly everywhere I've been.  I did score some at a dollar store, strangely enough.  I had already stocked up some on kleenex awhile back when TP was all but gone, and there was still a ton of tissue boxes available.  The meat area has been hit or miss, at least at the Giants I go to.  Pasta is likewise the same.  And the baking aisle...they've been generally cleaned out for some time (obviously a lot of people decided to bake a bunch of stuff...and why not?), things like flour/sugar/yeast.  I'm glad I spent about 2-3 weeks before the "rush" slowly stocking up on some dried/canned items.  Something I found slightly amusing is cleaner...mostly gone, but the only things left are scented ones...I saw a whole bunch of lavender scented Comet of all things (apparently not popular)!!

You're probably right, time of day might play a role too.  But paper products (like TP) have been nowhere to be seen for nearly 3 weeks now, at least at the main stores.

1 hour ago, Kmlwx said:

TP is the worst section in the store. The problem is we are only getting in 10% of our order for TP. Within 1 to 2 hours after the truck is stocked its gone and then we are waiting for 2 days till our next delivery. For center store we are only getting in about 25% of our order. Fresh departments are a little better but still only about 50% of whats being ordered. Its going take months  for grocery stores to recover from this.

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic