• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

2 hours ago, cleetussnow said:

Yeah we are all going to get it until the point where the virus runs out of vectors, or we get a vaccine.  Herd immunity might obviate that I suppose.  Whichever comes first.  Same difference though, but a faster vaccine esp. for those at risk is the better outcome.

and unless you are high risk, you won’t get vaccinated in the first instance.  Healthy low risk will get the illness before they get a vaccine if i had to bet.

PS I am pretty sure I had this already.  I was in China a day before lockdown and live near and work in NYC.  No symptoms but my kid did, lost taste.

Wow. A friend of mine, bartender, told me about 2 months ago that he lost taste and smell for a week or so. I didnt think anything of it at the time other than it was weird with no other symptoms.

I don't think that I had it based on timeline (although emerging studies saying it was around as early as September in China), but I was sick with flulike, walking pneumonia symptoms for almost the whole month of October as soon as I got back from Europe. I didnt go to China but I can tell you that China came to me with all the Chinese tourists in Prague, Salzburg and Amsterdam especially....

• Confused 1

The numbers are remarkably stable. 30,000 new cases per day.  And the European cases are stubborn too. And they all seem to come from the regions wherein the virus obtained its original foothold: NYC, Spain, Italy. 
it’s like once the cat is outta the bag it’s hard to contain. 
IDK. I’m not seeing any signs of hope. Looks like it’s gonna be a slow burn. We’ll eventually get to the most dire predictions in my honest opinion. 

• Like 1

OSWEGO — The number of COVID-19 cases in Oswego County continues to increase, but the rate of increase has slowed dramatically in recent weeks as the number of people tested remains steady, according to county reports.

Statewide more than 730,000 individuals have been tested for the coronavirus, with more than 271,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19. The number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus in Oswego County has increased from 53 to 58 in the last week, after increasing from 42 to 53 the previous week.

More than 540 individuals in Oswego County have been tested for COVID-19 in the last two weeks, with the total number of tests increasing from 886 on April 10, to 1,160 on April 17 and reaching 1,430 on Friday.

Oswego County leaders say the social distancing measures residents have put into practice, along with health officials’ efforts to isolate infected individuals and track down known contacts, are working.

“As a county, we are continuing to make headway in our fight against coronavirus,” Oswego County Legislature Chairman James Weatherup, R-Central Square, said Friday. “Our number of positive cases has remained relatively low compared to some of our neighbors, and our rate of new cases has slowed dramatically.”

More than 90 percent of the county residents tested return negative results, he said.

“I think so far, with the community’s help, we’ve flattened the curve,” Oswego County Public Health Director Jiancheng Huang said Friday, adding the main goal was to maintain and preserve the health care and first responder workforce.

Stay at home orders in the city of Oswego and countywide voluntary travel restrictions put in place in early April seemingly are working to stop the spread of the virus. Local officials have continually thanked residents for their patience and cooperation.

Huang, however, cautioned community members have not gained enough exposure to the virus to gain “so-called herd immunity” and knowing when a second wave might come is elusive.

“Down the road, honestly, we don’t know when a second peak will come,” Huang said. “So we are still closely monitoring the disease and we are working with our partners in health care, hospitals, nursing homes and long-term care.”

Huang acknowledged the current stay-at-home orders cannot remain in place forever, noting humans are “a social animal,” but in lieu of a vaccine or pharmacological solution it’s the best approach we have. He said a gradual, phased approach to resuming economic activities will be needed while officials continue monitoring the situation.

County health officials are identifying cases via testing and tracking down known contacts, Huang said, adding the county is prepared to continue that work as long as necessary.

“The purpose is to protect our residents and protect our communities, because a vaccine is still far away,” he said.

Cases of COVID-19 have been identified in 19 of the 24 reporting areas in Oswego County, which include the towns and cities. County officials have confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the cities of Fulton and Oswego and the towns of Boylston, Constantia, Granby, Hastings, Mexico, Minetto, New Haven, Orwell, Oswego, Palermo, Richland, Sandy Creek, Schroeppel, Scriba, Volney, West Monroe and Williamstown.

Weatherup has continually urged residents to avoid public places and groups of people as much as possible during the coronavirus outbreak.

Forty-six of the 58 individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 in Oswego County have recovered, according to county officials, who say there are 10 active positive cases in the county. Two county residents have died due to coronavirus-related complications.

Symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, cough, difficulty breathing, gastrointestinal illness and new loss of taste or smell.

Delaware County has 18 current positive cases. Out of 44,500 people. So 0.04% of our population currently are known positive. Our Saturday positive cases the past 3 weeks have dropped from 30, to 25, now 18. 

Lewis County is at 0.01% positive. That’s 1 person out of 10,000. This is why people are getting restless. 

• Like 2

Yeah if you add up the tri counties of Oswego, Jefferson, Lewis you have about 130 cases with a population of near 260k..To put that in perspective my in-laws down in CNJ have over 150 confirmed cases with a population of 34k..Once again it's all about population density and being much more spread out..

Screenshot_20200426-110903.png

8 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Yesterday the US had over 30k cass and over 2k deaths on the weekend. There is usually a lag which make this scarier. 

NY had over 10k positive cases and over 600 deaths.

I’m not sure where you get your statistics but a Cuomo reported 367 deaths in his news conference today.

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

Cuomo should also add the probables. People  are probably getting confused.

Well the probables are a bit more discontinuous since they include cases from weeks ago...the daily confirmed numbers are more indicative of trends. 

NYC is only place in the state doing that right now. I'm sure there uncounted deaths all over the country. 

• Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 6:14 PM, Syrmax said:

Wow. A friend of mine, bartender, told me about 2 months ago that he lost taste and smell for a week or so. I didnt think anything of it at the time other than it was weird with no other symptoms.

I don't think that I had it based on timeline (although emerging studies saying it was around as early as September in China), but I was sick with flulike, walking pneumonia symptoms for almost the whole month of October as soon as I got back from Europe. I didnt go to China but I can tell you that China came to me with all the Chinese tourists in Prague, Salzburg and Amsterdam especially....

absolutely possible.  The Italians got it from Chinese expats coming to Italy to their second homes in Lombardi. there's thousands of them.

I just ran across this recently developing issue regarding NY Nursing homes being required to accept elderly covid-19 patients, apparently at the Order of the Governor, or at least his office. This seems very odd and I can't think of a good reason for such logic as the elderly are the most vulnerable and in need of isolation. This would seem to make matters much worse. The below opinion article seems to summarize concerns with this edict. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/04/25/new-york-lacked-common-sense-in-nursing-homes-coronavirus-approach/amp/

Another study from NY added to the Chinese one regarding blood type and COVID infection. New info they added below regarding Rh type. If COVID is really going after red blood cells and their ability to carry oxygen, then this make a lot of sense as Rh+ has antigen proteins on red blood cells which create antibodies that could possibly be slowing COVID from attaching and/or infecting. Interested in learning more about this...

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/study-suggests-blood-type-a-associated-with-higher-risk-of-covid-19

As of April 11, Michael Zietz and Nicholas P. Tatonetti further investigated the assocation between ABO+Rh blood type and SARS-CoV-2 by using observational data on 1559 individuals tested for SARS-CoV-2 with known blood type in the New York Presbyterian (NYP) hospital system.2 

A higher proportion of blood group A and a lower proportion of blood group O among COV+ patients compared to COV-, though in both cases, the result is significant only in Rh positive blood types.

• Like 1

Italy is going to start reopening in stages

All manufacturing, construction and wholesale will begin again on May 4.

On May 18, retail stores will be allowed to reopen, in addition to museums, exhibitions and libraries,

While the government is aiming to reopen bars, restaurants, hairdressers and beauty salons on June 1. 

https://www.theflorentine.net/2020/04/26/reopening-italy-stage-two-plans/

• Like 2

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Italy is going to start reopening in stages

All manufacturing, construction and wholesale will begin again on May 4.

On May 18, retail stores will be allowed to reopen, in addition to museums, exhibitions and libraries,

While the government is aiming to reopen bars, restaurants, hairdressers and beauty salons on June 1. 

https://www.theflorentine.net/2020/04/26/reopening-italy-stage-two-plans/

Great news for Italy. Hoping the have some good testing to track potential hot spots.

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

I just ran across this recently developing issue regarding NY Nursing homes being required to accept elderly covid-19 patients, apparently at the Order of the Governor, or at least his office. This seems very odd and I can't think of a good reason for such logic as the elderly are the most vulnerable and in need of isolation. This would seem to make matters much worse. The below opinion article seems to summarize concerns with this edict. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/04/25/new-york-lacked-common-sense-in-nursing-homes-coronavirus-approach/amp/

My wife just text me the state DOH just rolled up with 4 surveyors to investigate the findings of their facility to see if protocol was followed...they will not be surprised with their answers...

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic