• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

Just now, TugHillMatt said:

Interesting thoughts. I'm not sure I agree with all of them...but you're right about making all the excuses. I agree that some subjects may not be as high of a priority in the education system, but I hardly think many of the subjects that teachers are passionate about teaching are BS. Much of it depends on how the teacher teaches as well. I teach my students with a passion that they can apply what they learn to their lives and the world around them. Some of what you might be referring to is an issue with Common Core Standards.

Yeah i was being a bit flippant but not totally...as far as Common Core...i went thru that with my kid.  Mixed feelings.  Generally not impressed but i get the idea, just implemented pretty ineptly.  Distance learning after a certain age could work but not everyone has internet access and frankly, inner city school districts would probably drop to a 10% graduation rate.  But OTOH, why pretend anymore?  In a future lockdown world there will be increased emphasis on remote work, learning, and less participation in society outside of work.  Which isn't all bad.  Education systems should probably start looking at new learning models, soon, with an emphasis on STEM and languages early on.  The rest of it all is pretty much crap anyway. IMO.  Does anyone even care about government studies or 19th Century social justice warriors? LOL.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Yeah i was being a bit flippant but not totally...as far as Common Core...i went thru that with my kid.  Mixed feelings.  Generally not impressed but i get the idea, just implemented pretty ineptly.  Distance learning after a certain age could work but not everyone has internet access and frankly, inner city school districts would probably drop to a 10% graduation rate.  But OTOH, why pretend anymore?  In a future lockdown world there will be increased emphasis on remote work, learning, and less participation in society outside of work.  Which isn't all bad.  Education systems should probably start looking at new learning models, soon, with an emphasis on STEM and languages early on.  The rest of it all is pretty much crap anyway. IMO.  Does anyone even care about government studies or 19th Century social justice warriors? LOL.  

Lol. Yes, some young people are well equipped with the skills and knowledge to start serving in society in great ways....rather than sitting at a desk for 6+ hours a day.

We have already been talking about ways we are going to implement Google Classroom and other online schooling options within our in-school lesson plans for next year.

Obviously not surprising..

Derek Jeter and the other members of the 2020 Baseball Hall of Fame class will have to wait another year before taking the stage in Cooperstown.

The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum announced Wednesday that its board of directors voted unanimously to cancel the 2020 Hall of Fame induction ceremony and the surrounding events scheduled for July 24-27 due to health and safety concerns associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.

As a result, the 2020 class will now be honored alongside the 2021 class next July.

With as much scrutiny and media attention that Trump and Pence have, why would Pence NOT wear a mask in the Mayo Clinic?!?!

I tire of the media constantly finding anything to pick at with these two, but seriously!?! It is CRAP like this that just encourages more hostility and frustration, particularly from liberals. The policy is to wear a mask, but you are the only one going in there without a mask?

How do they expect a cooperative society when examples of this are clear signs of defiance?

Maybe I am missing some validated reason as to why he did that?

:facepalm:

• Like 1

Nice to see some businesses still hanging in there or thriving...The old lady says business at RaC has been up as well..

PULASKI, N.Y. —

A small Oswego County business that makes air purifiers is seeing record demand for it its product on the frontlines of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Healthway Family of Brands is a small family-run company that up until two months ago employed less than 30 people. However, thanks to their patented air purification technology, business has been booming.

The company’s air purifiers have been scientifically proven to be 40x more efficient than traditional air purifiers in removing ultrafine particles, including viruses, from the air.

Company president Vinny Lobdell says since the COVID-19 pandemic broke out, demand for the company's air purifiers has skyrocketed.

"The impact to our business has been considerable. We're probably producing ten times the amount of product compared to this time last year. So just understanding the significant demand globally it has really impacted our business,” Lobdell says.

Locally, National Grid and Crouse Hospital are both using Healthway’s air purifiers.

Lobdell says it is an honor to have a product that is made in Pulaski being used locally and around the globe to help combat the coronavirus.

"Our company here is just really proud of the fact that our solutions are being trusted to use worldwide on the frontlines,” he says.

The company is now expanding its operations in Pulaski. Just this past week, it purchased an additional 10,000 square foot building in the area and plans are in the works to build a brand new 20,000 square foot facility in the next few months

Two of the biggest employers around the area, Fulton boilers and Felix Schuller are pretty much operating at full staff..They are wearing ppe as well as keeping up with social distancing as much as they can, seems to be working with only a few cases in the local area...

IMG_20200429_135344.jpg.f640b2acddcf9296

23 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Two of the biggest employers around the area, Fulton boilers and Felix Schuller are pretty much operating at full staff..They are wearing ppe as well as keeping up with social distancing as much as they can, seems to be working with only a few cases in the local area...

IMG_20200429_135344.jpg.f640b2acddcf9296

All businesses, schools, transportation should he shutdown until Dr. Fauci and Gov Cuomo say its safe to come out of the bunker.  Otherwise people are going to die.  People that go out of their homes are essentially murderers! Somebody's grandma somewhere might die because people are selfish and insist on going outside.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

With as much scrutiny and media attention that Trump and Pence have, why would Pence NOT wear a mask in the Mayo Clinic?!?!

I tire of the media constantly finding anything to pick at with these two, but seriously!?! It is CRAP like this that just encourages more hostility and frustration, particularly from liberals. The policy is to wear a mask, but you are the only one going in there without a mask?

How do they expect a cooperative society when examples of this are clear signs of defiance?

Look, you may or may not agree with this President's policies but it's really clear that Trump and Pence are complete assholes.

They have no respect for anyone or anything.

• Like 1

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Does this mean anything since the states take precedence anyways?

Basically not. He doesn't really have a Constitutional leg to stand on with much of it. It may be good politics for Trump though as he's basically willing to let Blue states choke themselves while others take a different tack.  We'll see how it plays out.

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Show of strength in my opinion. He’s 60 and presumably with no underlying health conditions showing that this virus isn’t something to fear. 

2 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Basically not. He doesn't really have a Constitutional leg to stand on with much of it. It may be good politics for Trump though as he's basically willing to let Blue states choke themselves while others take a different tack.  We'll see how it plays out.

That’s exactly what he’s doing in my opinion. States that stay shut down will soon have no money to fund the programs that their democratic base rely on. 

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Over 2200 deaths today in the country 

In 2 weeks , we went from 30k to 61k. 

Sad

Do you know why some days New York reports deaths twice a day (usually morning and about 5-8pm) but today for instance we only get the morning numbers? Just curious. I know the evening numbers are the suspected deaths but any idea why they report them some days and not others? 

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

For those who don’t believe under reporting of Covid deaths are real. Over 4,000 deaths in NYC alone being underreported. Some of these are likely due to other illnesses with people being afraid to go to hospitals/seek medical treatment in fear of Covid. 

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Deblasio is pissed at the Jewish community and warns them summonses and arrests will happen the next time. 

Some of the Hasdim are creating real problems for lowering the prevalence of COVID by building a huge viral reservoir, and there should be accountability, but that tweet by Deblasio was ridiculous.

This is sad, and by spreading the disease, many Hasids are putting health care workers at risk. That’s not ok, but neither is anti-Semitism.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/nyregion/coronavirus-jews-hasidic-ny.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Syrmax said:

Here’s the thing: no state is going to come out of a blanket refusal of the feds to bail states out without being ruined. Multiple red states raise most of their revenue through sales taxes. Tax collections have plummeted while the austerity budgets of the last ten years have left no fat to cut from spending. I think McConnell and others hope that they can obtain the policy outcomes they want by targeting the pain to fall on a few states, but that’s a fantasy. They’ll have to put multiple red states —including Florida and Texas — through the wringer to hurt New York and California. If they think they can manage that without paying a heavy price for that on Election Day, their arrogance has no limit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

There is no defending him not wearing a mask at a Mayo clinic, while every single person in that building has one on.

They’re the very elites that they claim to hate. The rules *never* apply to them. It’s not the refusal to wear masks that will cause them to lose in a landslide but the fact that this is yet another example of how they act as though they’re better than everyone else.

• Like 4

Just now, WNash said:

Here’s the thing: no state is going to come out of this without being ruined. Multiple red states raise most of their revenue through sales taxes. Tax collections have plummeted while the austerity budgets of the last ten years have left no fat to cut from spending. I think McConnell and others hope that they obtain the policy outcomes they want by targeting the pain to fall on a few states, but that’s a fantasy. They’ll have to put multiple red states —including Florida and Texas — through the wringer to hurt New York and California. If they think they can manage that without paying a heavy price for that on Election Day, their arrogance has no limit.

Best part is NY gives the fed 26B a year more than it receives from the fed. McConnells state of KY receives 30B a year more than it gives, yet they want to criticize NY and other blue states, especially when they are the hardest impacted by the virus? Right now should be a time of non partisan unity for the good of helping all Americans regardless of party lines. People on both sides are struggling immensely and all the blame game does is cause a stalemate on getting anything meaningful accomplished. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WNash said:

Some of the Hasdim are creating real problems for lowering the prevalence of COVID by building a huge viral reservoir, and there should be accountability, but that tweet by Deblasio was ridiculous.

This is sad, and by spreading the disease, many Hasids are putting health care workers at risk. That’s not ok, but neither is anti-Semitism.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/nyregion/coronavirus-jews-hasidic-ny.html

The Hasidim are also a major (if not the) reason that Measles made a comeback in the US, along with anti vax trends but this is concentrated in that community so it gets noticed.  It was declared eradicated around Y2K, in the US.   Not being nasty here, just pointing out that the Hasidim's self-inflicted vulnerability  is a big reason why Rockland County / New Rochelle area had police deployed early in NY's covid-19 crisis.  This detail was largely not reported at the time, which I thought odd...Why is that specific area having an outbreak?  Prior to this,  NY and CT have struggled with measles outbreaks in their communities.  Measles is very highly infectious.  In fact NY declared a public health emergency just last year, 2019, mainly in certain zipcode in Brooklyn,  due to measles outbreaks stemming from that community. 

These people choose to not fully assimilate and while their cultural practices have many laudable family based traits...this sort of thing is the darkside.  I'll just say this as speculation, if it were another certain middle eastern religious-culture behaving this way, there would he a sh*storm of Biblical proportions.  (No pun intended).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

The Hasidim are also a major (if not the) reason that Measles made a comeback in the US.  It was declared eradicated around Y2K, in the US.   Not being nasty here, just pointing out that the Hasidim's self-inflicted vulnerability  is a big reason why Rockland County / New Rochelle area had police deployed early in NY's covid-19 crisis.  This detail was largely not reported at the time, which I thought odd...Why is that specific area having an outbreak?  Prior to this,  NY and CT have struggled with measles outbreaks in their communities.  Measles is very highly infectious.  In fact NY declared a public health emergency just last year, 2019, mainly in certain zipcode in Brooklyn,  due to measles outbreaks stemming from that community. 

These people choose to not fully assimilate and while their cultural practices have many laudable family based traits...this sort of thing is the darkside.  I'll just say this as speculation, if it were another certain middle eastern religious-culture behaving this way, there would he a sh*storm of Biblical proportions.  (No pun intended).

One important value of this country is the right to practice religion freely. Many Hasidic groups are made up of descendents of handfuls of families from the same village or neighborhood in Europe who survived the Holocaust and preserve their culture and language here. I find that incredibly moving even if I don’t agree with their view of how to worship. And these huge weddings are very much  an essential part of their view of how to be Jewish - this is an overview: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitzvah_tantz.

But their rights cannot put other people in harm’s way. For now, the big weddings have to stop.

6 minutes ago, WNash said:

One important value of this country is the right to practice religion freely. Many Hasidic groups are made up of descendents of handfuls of families from the same village or neighborhood in Europe who survived the Holocaust and preserve their culture and language here. I find that incredibly moving even if I don’t agree with their view of how to worship. And these huge weddings are very much  an essential part of their view of how to be Jewish - this is an overview: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitzvah_tantz.

But their rights cannot put other people in harm’s way. For now, the big weddings have to stop.

I agree with that.  I'm more of a Marxist when it comes to religion but i strongly support religious freedom principles and not tolerating persecution. 

• Like 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic