• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

Been trying to cancel a hotel reservation I had for Tennessee later in May to see if I can get it canceled.

Lots of fumbling back and forth between booking.com and the hotel....lol...I can't imagine some of you waiting hours and hours to cancel your flights. Geesh.

Thankfully I got somebody who was helpful and jolly. He sounded like an Irishman. :P 

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Been trying to cancel a hotel reservation I had for Tennessee later in May to see if I can get it canceled.

Lots of fumbling back and forth between booking.com and the hotel....lol...I can't imagine some of you waiting hours and hours to cancel your flights. Geesh.

Thankfully I got somebody who was helpful and jolly. He sounded like an Irishman. :P 

This reminded me of Michael Scott canceling his hotel reservation for the Olympics in Vancouver.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

It sounds like Cuomo will address this tomorrow, at least he said he’s going to make the decision on schools. I would bet my house on it that schools will be closed the rest of this school year. Just too many things to go wrong over 4 weeks of in school learning left. How would kids social distance on buses, in hallways, etc... as far as businesses reopening May 15th  I could see him letting certain regions of Upstate begin phase 1 of the federal reopening plan if numbers continue to stay low/or decline even further. I wouldn’t expect NYC/Long Island/ and WNY to begin phase 1 May 15th as there’s still too many cases and in WNY there hasn’t been any decline in cases/hospitalizations what so ever and Cuomo has even said we are the “hot spot” of Upstate. If I had to venture a guess the North Country and CNY would have the best chance at beginning phase 1 May 15th. 

Do you consider Rochester, NY part of WNY or finger lakes because right now Rochester NY (Monroe County) has 1400+ cases and still going up. Not sure if Rochester, NY will begin phase 1 or no. 

The Little League World Series will not be played this year for the first time since the organization began because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Little League International, which announced the move Thursday, also canceled regional tournaments but said the events would return in 2021.

The Little League World Series has been played each year since the first tournament in 1947.

"After a thorough assessment of the impact the devastating COVID-19 pandemic has had on 6,500 community-based Little League programs in 84 countries and based upon the direction of governmental and public health authorities, and in consultation with medical professionals and our Board of Directors, Little League International has made the difficult and disappointing decision to cancel its seven World Series tournaments and their respective regional qualifying events," the organization said in a statement.

6 minutes ago, brentrich said:

Do you consider Rochester, NY part of WNY or finger lakes because right now Rochester NY (Monroe County) has 1400+ cases and still going up. Not sure if Rochester, NY will begin phase 1 or no. 

Rochester is defined as finger lakes according to Cuomo. And it’s a hot spot in the Finger Lakes region but Buffalo (Erie County) has 2.5x that in cases, 3400+ and we have over double the deaths  (254 compared to 113). I could see it going either way for Finger Lakes region. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Is anyone going to do the antibody test? I'm really tempted to see if I was already exposed to it.

I would for free but there’s no reason to pay $119 for a home kit when even if you have had it and have been exposed it’s meaningless at this point. I guess for a piece of mind to know you’ve had it and recovered? However there needs to be more research into what having antibodies to this virus really means. As far as this being serious, I know numerous people who work in the healthcare industry (one a nurse at the St Joes Covid-19 campus in Cheektowaga and one a nurse at Mercy Hospital is SB) and both have said it’s horrific and they think it can’t be understated how serious this virus is even for those who are young and relatively healthy. This many people don’t die from the flu here even in the worst of flu seasons. 

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

I got a letter from the IRS, scared the shit out of me lmao.. Good thing it was just letting me know my stimulus check was deposited, you guys should be getting one soon if you haven't already lol

Got one and said the same thing “oh great, what do I owe them now” . Had my taxes filed with HR Block in 2014 and didn’t get the additional “piece of mind garuntee” which was like $100 extra (on top of the $275 I was already paying to have my taxes filed) and they made a mistake on my taxes and I landed up owing the IRS over $3000. Thought this was another one of those mistakes (although I now do my own taxes, cheaper and so easy now that I don’t have income from multiple states). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Bergamo is the hardest hit city in the world. They lost 0.57 percent of their entire population. 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.15.20067074v2

38 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Is anyone going to do the antibody test? I'm really tempted to see if I was already exposed to it.

I thought Herr Oberst Cuomo "banned" private antibody testing in NY?  I have read that NY DOH (?) is doing pop up antibody testing bc they don't want long lines.  So they aren't preannouncing locations.  Since I don't go out very often, doubtful I'll stumble onto an active testing location.

37 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

I would for free but there’s no reason to pay $119 for a home kit when even if you have had it and have been exposed it’s meaningless at this point. I guess for a piece of mind to know you’ve had it and recovered? However there needs to be more research into what having antibodies to this virus really means. As far as this being serious, I know numerous people who work in the healthcare industry (one a nurse at the St Joes Covid-19 campus in Cheektowaga and one a nurse at Mercy Hospital is SB) and both have said it’s horrific and they think it can’t be understated how serious this virus is even for those who are young and relatively healthy. This many people don’t die from the flu here even in the worst of flu seasons. 

We'll see what excess mortality ends up at. It's the only real way to know the true toll I think. We know how many people always die per unit of time so comparing changes is instructive.  Its staistical and after the fact, but given the various reports of under/over classifying covid-19 deaths I basically take a lot of the morbidity stats with a grain of salt right now.  

3 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

These antibody tests due seem like a bit of a fool's errand overall...lots of error and thers no confirmation of what level of antibodies confers immunity. I like numbers so they're fun to look at but hard to use them for any sort of policy. 

I'm not so sure that even the testing for active infection is all that accurate. It may be...but no shortage of reports that indicate false positives and false negs. Hopefully the false tests end up being statistically insignificant but at this point who knows.  

Just now, Syrmax said:

I'm not so sure that even the testing for active infection is all that accurate. It may be...but no shortage of reports that indicate false positives and false negs. Hopefully the false tests end up being statistically insignificant but at this point who knows.  

No you're right. Theres issues with the pcr tests too. Sometimes the virus is deeper so the swab doesn't catch it  

35 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I thought Herr Oberst Cuomo "banned" private antibody testing in NY?  I have read that NY DOH (?) is doing pop up antibody testing bc they don't want long lines.  So they aren't preannouncing locations.  Since I don't go out very often, doubtful I'll stumble onto an active testing location.

In that case, "pop one up" right in inner-downtown Redfield, NY.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Syrmax said:

I can get one at my local walk in clinic with a questionnaire.  I check a lot of boxes due to my travel.  I may go and see.

2 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

We need to rip the band aid off. We should be allowing this to spread as fast as hospitals can handle. Instead entire healthcare systems are on their way to bankruptcy. 

Sort of perverse that the pandemic response being advocated, and largely followed, is being pushed by "experts" in the healthcare field, writ large.  

I don't know what the right answer is but you don't have to be an expert to figure out what the economic impact will be to the healthcare system as we're seeing it real time.

At some point increased mortality due to non covid-19 causes will begin to register.  Of course by the time that data shows up and is processed by "thought leaders", it'll only be good for the next serious pandemic response 100 years from now (and probably forgotten by then).

16 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I am. I was just at my doctors office for blood work for a physical and I am getting a script by text shortly to enter a portal and go to a quest stop. I'll keep you updated

• Like 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic