• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

Just as I was getting ready to post a sports article lol

MLB is discussing a potential plan to start the season in late June and allow teams to play at their home ballparks with realigned divisions, according to USA Today's Bob Nightengale.

The proposed plan involves realigning MLB into three divisions based on teams' locations rather than the National and American Leagues. The new divisions would help reduce travel, and teams would play with no fans in attendance. 

Nightengale reports the new plan is "pending approval of medical experts and providing that COVID-19 testing is available to the public." It would eliminate the need for players to be in isolation, although it remains unknown if teams would open the season in Arizona, Texas and Florida for a few weeks. 

MLB could potentially have a 100-game regular season before holding the playoffs with an expanded format. According to Nightengale, players are expected to have 18 to 21 days to train at teams' Arizona or Florida spring training sites before starting the season. 

Here's a look at the reported possible realigned divisions:

EAST:

• Baltimore Orioles
  • Boston Red Sox
  • Miami Marlins
  • New York Mets
  • New York Yankees
  • Philadelphia Phillies
  • Pittsburgh Pirates
  • Tampa Bay Rays
  • Toronto Blue Jays
  • Washington Nationals
  • WEST:

• Arizona Diamondbacks
    • Colorado Rockies
    • Los Angeles Angels
    • Los Angeles Dodgers
    • Houston Astros
    • Oakland Athletics
    • San Diego Padres
    • San Francisco Giants
    • Seattle Mariners
    • Texas Rangers

CENTRAL:

• Atlanta Braves
    • Chicago Cubs
    • Chicago White Sox
    • Cincinnati Reds
    • Cleveland Indians
    • Detroit Tigers
    • Kansas City Royals
    • St. Louis Cardinals
    • Milwaukee Brewers
    • Minnesota Twins

There are more than one million confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States, with nearly 60,000 deaths. Worldwide, more than 215,000 people have died of the disease.

30 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Going to be real hard to restart sports...because of this type stuff...

After three positive tests, three people at 1. FC Köln are now in quarantine. The group training can continue.

http://fc.de/en/fc-info/news/detailpage/details/results-from-covid-19-tests/

Virtually impossible. As soon as someone on the team gets it, do you have to quarantine the entire team?

Nearly 900 workers at Tyson meat plant in Indiana test positive for coronavirus

The coronavirus infected 890 of the 2,200 people at the plant located in Logansport, Ind., local station WISH TV reported Wednesday.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/495564-nearly-900-workers-at-tyson-meat-plant-in-indiana-test-positive-for-coronavirus

You need a Vietnam, New Zealand level lockdown to completely get rid of this. What the USA has isn't even a lockdown. Literally nothing in my day to day life has changed besides the gym and haircuts.

Vietnam has gone six days with no new coronavirus infections and 15 days without community transmission.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietnam-reports-no-new-covid-19-cases-for-seven-days-4092617.html

Interesting

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/comparing-covid-19-deaths-to-flu-deaths-is-like-comparing-apples-to-oranges/

In the last six flu seasons, the CDC’s reported number of actual confirmed flu deaths—that is, counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the coronavirus—has ranged from 3,448 to 15,620, which far lower than the numbers commonly repeated by public officials and even public health experts.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Uh oh. Trump is not going to take fondly to this. My biggest fear on this planet is going to war with China.

Chinese state media releases animated propaganda video mocking US coronavirus response

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-01/china-state-media-propaganda-video-mock-us-coronavirus/12204836

LOL...Um, wow...That...was...interesting....haha. They twist information just as much, if not more, than the American media.

First, the quality: it is like a 14 year old boy created that video. How can one take it seriously? I mean, Trump obviously has the ability to be offended by it and overreact waaaay too much. Now, if the Chinese citizens somehow allow this video to feed into a "we need to take America down" then it could prompt some concern. This video, to me, is like an SNL skit.

Second, where is the outcry of citizens yelling "Xenophobia!!!" at the Chinese? (I roll my eyes at the desire to make everything into a xenophobic/gender/race issue)

Lastly, I am waiting for the video that demonstrates how the Chinese Responded. "We are all good! Nothing to see here! We barely lost anybody!" "Oh wait, where did these 40,000 bodies come from overnight?"

22 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Interesting

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/comparing-covid-19-deaths-to-flu-deaths-is-like-comparing-apples-to-oranges/

In the last six flu seasons, the CDC’s reported number of actual confirmed flu deaths—that is, counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the coronavirus—has ranged from 3,448 to 15,620, which far lower than the numbers commonly repeated by public officials and even public health experts.

Meh. It just seems like someone doesn't like the way flu is counted. They explain their methods on the cdc website. They also call it a "flu burden" which is an idea that flu is contributing to the death not necessarily the only or primary cause. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Uh oh. Trump is not going to take fondly to this. My biggest fear on this planet is going to war with China.

Chinese state media releases animated propaganda video mocking US coronavirus response

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-01/china-state-media-propaganda-video-mock-us-coronavirus/12204836

Quality is somewhat low but the content is pretty spot on. I’m just an Average joe but I was purchasing masks on January 23rd and considering supplies to stockpile. The info was there all there. The writing was on the wall.  What was our government doing at that time?  How did I magically know this would be a problem long before them??

The US response has been absolutely laughable at best. The rest of the globe hasn’t done much better but it’s ridiculous that the current admin is continually looking for someone else to blame.  Just own it and start fixing it. 

21 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Quality is somewhat low but the content is pretty spot on. I’m just an Average joe but I was purchasing masks on January 23rd and considering supplies to stockpile. The info was there all there. The writing was on the wall.  What was our government doing at that time?  How did I magically know this would be a problem long before them??

The US response has been absolutely laughable at best. The rest of the globe hasn’t done much better but it’s ridiculous that the current admin is continually looking for someone else to blame.  Just own it and start fixing it. 

This would have been an approach that people could get behind. Granted the MSM will always seek to slay Trump but normal people would have respected that approach.  Instead, we got denial, downplaying, blamecasting and then in mid March, begrudging action. (To be fair, the MSM and Dems did downplay the threat in early Jan and when Trump restricted China travel late in January, as a Pavlovian reaction to him).

Blustering aside, the biggest fumble was with CDC testing and the Trump Admin not fixing that pronto.  There is where we lost a lot of time.  Noone, in either party, was going to shutdown the country in February, with very few known cases. Even if CDC hadn't been incompetent, the virus was probably just starting to exponentially spread in late Feb into early March. But we were flying blind.

The sudden disappearance of sports will erase at least $12 billion in revenue and hundreds of thousands of jobs, an economic catastrophe that will more than double if the college football and NFL schedules are wiped out this fall by the coronavirus pandemic, an analysis conducted for ESPN shows.

The meltdown is a fraction of the crisis spreading across the country, but it is nonetheless historic, touching every sector of the $100 billion United States sports industry.

Continue reading

The CDC just posted this on their FB page. Wonder if Trump forced them to? He has 6 months until election time, can't have a pandemic going on during that time. Wouldn't look good on him.

According to the latest CDC COVIDView report, increases in hospitalization rates for COVID-19, which are cumulative, have started to level off. The hospitalization rate is highest among adults 65 and older and similar to what has been seen during a comparable time period during a recent high severity flu season: https://bit.ly/2ViFflZ

6 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The CDC just posted this on their FB page. Wonder if Trump forced them to? He has 6 months until election time, can't have a pandemic going on during that time. Wouldn't look good on him.

According to the latest CDC COVIDView report, increases in hospitalization rates for COVID-19, which are cumulative, have started to level off. The hospitalization rate is highest among adults 65 and older and similar to what has been seen during a comparable time period during a recent high severity flu season: https://bit.ly/2ViFflZ

Don’t think it was Trump. This is also on there. 

• Hospitalization rates for COVID-19 in adults (18-64 years) are higher than hospitalization rates for influenza at comparable time points* during the past 5 influenza seasons.
  • Thanks 1

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/05/as-he-struggled-to-breathe-cny-nursing-home-wouldnt-test-for-coronavirus-family-says-a-national-problem.html

This seems almost criminally negligent.  Even if it wouldn't have made a difference in outcome for this poor man, wouldnt a Nursing Home want to know if they have covid-19 circulating in the facility? Especially a Nursing Home...

And to provide no explanations? Just wow. I can't imagine how furious the family must be.  And no props to the County offices who seemed to have been completely ineffective here.  Exactly what is it that they do again?

Gotta say, if I see one more Boeheim article in the Syracuse Post Standard I may go postal.  Boeheim family, Boeheim wife, Boeheim's kids, Boeheim's fave salad dressing, Boeheim grilling gluten free dog turds, Boeheim's long lost relatives in outer Baluchistan, Boeheim's bowel movements...just stop.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Jeez 107 fever...I thought anything over 105 causes permanent brain damage. I had a 104 fever in Peru, and was crawling on the floor. I cannot even imagine 107

https://www.mlive.com/coronavirus/2020/05/michigan-toddler-who-spiked-107-fever-finally-covid-19-free-after-nightmare-month.html

Toddlers and little kids can tolerate much higher fevers than adults... but greater than 107 is shocking.

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic