• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

40 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Cuomo  mentioned just a few minutes ago that it will take at least 2 months or even longer to open back NY . He also said that  he will open the whole state at once.,not county by county like he said he wanted to earlier today. 

I heard him say 2 months or even longer, but I swore he said he would still open things up region by region as I posted earlier not County by County. 

2 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

I heard him say 2 months or even longer, but I swore he said he would still open things up region by region as I posted earlier not County by County. 

Never going to happen. If this last past June 1st we will see so many protests. No one will listen to stay at home orders in July/August in WNY. We get 3 months of summer here.

• Like 1

The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year.  So far we're at 177,000 globally from COVID 19 in a 2-3 month window. Project that out annually and we're slightly above how many flu deaths we get in a bad season. Although you have to take into account social distancing and the entire world being on lockdown. They are also including basically anyone that has the virus as a death even if the result could have been something else. I think in the end this might not end up being too much more deadly than a bad flu season. If I had to guess, I would say COVID 19 is twice as deadly as the flu after all is said and done.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Never going to happen. If this last past June 1st we will see so many protests. No one will listen to stay at home orders in July/August in WNY. We get 3 months of summer here.

Ontario is about to lay out its reopening plan. Some rumors have it beginning as early as this weekend or early next week. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year.  So far we're at 177,000 globally from COVID 19 in a 2-3 month window. Project that out annually and we're slightly above how many flu deaths we get in a bad season. Although you have to take into account social distancing and the entire world being on lockdown. They are also including basically anyone that has the virus as a death even if the result could have been something else. I think in the end this might not end up being too much more deadly than a bad flu season. If I had to guess, I would say COVID 19 is twice as deadly as the flu after all is said and done.

I appreciate the want or need to be optimistic. I think what the numbers tell us is that it hasn't been widespread in many areas yet. I've posted in the new england forum that NYC had 15 times the deaths (real-time) compared to an average flu season in a month...with a wave peak at about 2/3rds the 1918 flu. (60 deaths per week per 100000 vs. 90 deaths per week per 100000) These type of data show me that the virus just isn't that widespread in other areas. The serology findings in southern California are interesting but idk it doesn't seem to jive with what weve actually seen on the ground. I think people might be lulled into a false sense of security because the social distancing measures have worked and the virus has had very disparate effects and infection rates depending on where you live. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I appreciate the want or need to be optimistic. I think what the numbers tell us is that it hasn't been widespread in many areas yet. I've posted in the new england forum that NYC had 15 times the deaths (real-time) compared to an average flu season in a month...with a wave peak at about 2/3rds the 1918 flu. (60 deaths per week per 100000 vs. 90 deaths per week per 100000) These type of data show me that the virus just isn't that widespread in other areas. The serology findings in southern California are interesting but idk it doesn't seem to jive with what weve actually seen on the ground. I think people might be lulled into a false sense of security because the social distancing measures have worked and the virus has had very disparate effects and infection rates depending on where you live. 

I think you are quite right with the above.  It's hard to definitively know exactly what has, and what is, transpiring with the virus and its spread as there are different strains apparently and other variables exist:   social distancing has been implemented to varying degrees of compliance, there appears to be a difference in R0 (if that's the right use of the term) between high density and low density population areas, inadequate testing, etc etc..   

I don't think we'll have an accurate gauge of covid-19 mortality for quite a while as a lot of data has to be sorted and analyzed. Its clearly worse than seasonal flu but by exactly how much is TBD.

3 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

Or as we found out yesterday there are 30 different strains and some are more deadly than others. 

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Or as we found out yesterday there are 30 different strains and some are more deadly than others. 

Maybe. That's the first time someone has suggested this...that there is substantial enough mutations to change virulence. I think we have to be careful with the studies out there...theres a lot of info and and much of it hasn't been peer reviewed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Syrmax said:

I think you are quite right with the above.  It's hard to definitively know exactly what has, and what is, transpiring with the virus and its spread as there are different strains apparently and other variables exist:   social distancing has been implemented to varying degrees of compliance, there appears to be a difference in R0 (if that's the right use of the term) between high density and low density population areas, inadequate testing, etc etc..   

I don't think we'll have an accurate gauge of covid-19 mortality for quite a while as a lot of data has to be sorted and analyzed. Its clearly worse than seasonal flu but by exactly how much is TBD.

I've seen 2-3 large home parties in my neighborhood every weekend. Gyms, restaurants, movies, schools, work, are the 5 main places people transmit germs. If we open up all of those what happens?

This is important. Until now the first US #COVID19 death was thought to be Feb 29th, Seattle WA https://t.co/ziFslDHShl
But now autopsy (and @CDCgov) confirmation of 2 deaths in California Feb 6 and 17th.
>3 weeks earlier than previously known. https://t.co/9hRGJp0QZg

— Eric Topol (@EricTopol) April 22, 2020

43 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This is important. Until now the first US #COVID19 death was thought to be Feb 29th, Seattle WA https://t.co/ziFslDHShl
But now autopsy (and @CDCgov) confirmation of 2 deaths in California Feb 6 and 17th.
>3 weeks earlier than previously known. https://t.co/9hRGJp0QZg

— Eric Topol (@EricTopol) April 22, 2020

This is a really big deal - the virus was freely circulating at least six weeks before things were shut down. On the bright side, it implies that there are many more cases that were non-fatal than previously thought, but that would need to be confirmed by a review of additional deaths. 

What's personally interesting is that this information may tend to confirm the experience of a number of people I know (including me) who had mysterious illnesses in February and later wondered if they had COVID-19. I missed a week of work with an illness in mid-February with cough but no congestion, fatigue, and a feeling of shortness of breath.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That article makes no sense. They’re doing good but yet their testing per capita is far lower than the US at 9000 test per million compared to our 12000 test per million. Also has a death rate of 191 people per million compared to 141 per million in the US...

5 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

That article makes no sense. They’re doing good but yet their testing per capita is far lower than the US at 9000 test per million compared to our 12000 test per million. Also has a death rate of 191 people per million compared to 141 per million in the US...

The point of the article is that it might have been smarter not to shut down the entire economy. They've kept nearly everyone working and they wont have the paranoia to deal with that we do when they try to bounce back from this. I wish this was the route that we had taken. Instead nearly everyone I know is laid off right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke_Mages said:

The point of the article is that it might have been smarter not to shut down the entire economy. They've kept nearly everyone working and they wont have the paranoia to deal with that we do when they try to bounce back from this. I wish this was the route that we had taken. Instead nearly everyone I know is laid off right now.

Kind of apples to oranges in my opinion.  Sweden is a cute little country with a very high standard or living and a very manageable population of 10 million people.  The US has 33 times that amount.  We have national basketball tournaments with millions of spectators, International Hockey leagues, the NBA, NFL, concerts, festivals, etc etc.  All events that have massive congregations of people. We also have a general urban density in our largest cities that is orders of magnitude larger and more complex than Sweden.  NY, LA, and Chicago account for almost 40 million people alone.  We take in and sent out millions of international flights a year.  The US is not an easy place to manage during a Pandemic..

Just the 3 week NCAA basketball tournament probably encompasses more people and more cross contact of individuals than any event ever in Sweden.   If we didnt/don't shut things down, there were/are going to be some incredible hot spots where thousands of people catch this at a single event. 

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

Kind of apples to oranges in my opinion.  Sweden is a cute little country with a very high standard or living and a very manageable population of 10 million people.  The US has 33 times that amount.  We have national basketball tournaments with millions of spectators, International Hockey leagues, the NBA, NFL, concerts, festivals, etc etc.  All events that have massive congregations of people. We also have a general urban density in our largest cities that is orders of magnitude larger and more complex than Sweden.  NY, LA, and Chicago account for almost 40 million people alone.  We take in and sent out millions of international flights a year.  The US is not an easy place to manage during a Pandemic..

Just the 3 week NCAA basketball tournament probably encompasses more people and more cross contact of individuals than any event ever in Sweden.   If we didnt/don't shut things down, there were/are going to be some incredible hot spots where thousands of people catch this at a single event. 

I thought it would go without saying that we wouldn’t have held sporting events and other large gatherings. Sweden didn’t continue to do that either. I’m talking about jobs and isolating the at risk instead of putting 30% of the country out of work. 

6 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I thought it would go without saying that we wouldn’t have held sporting events and other large gatherings. Sweden didn’t continue to do that either. I’m talking about jobs and isolating the at risk instead of putting 30% of the country out of work. 

I agree, I think some jobs should have stayed online, mine included.  I work in research and can easily avoid people if I schedule my day and work alone in my lab.  But the blanket non-essential stamp just sent everyone home.  Probably too extreme but half the population seems unable to follow directions so they had to just shut the whole thing down.  

The GIG economy is a tough one though, and thats where the big hurt has been.  Restaurants, bars, ubers, its just hard to find a way around that one. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WNash said:

This is a really big deal - the virus was freely circulating at least six weeks before things were shut down. On the bright side, it implies that there are many more cases that were non-fatal than previously thought, but that would need to be confirmed by a review of additional deaths. 

What's personally interesting is that this information may tend to confirm the experience of a number of people I know (including me) who had mysterious illnesses in February and later wondered if they had COVID-19. I missed a week of work with an illness in mid-February with cough but no congestion, fatigue, and a feeling of shortness of breath.

Agreed. COVID-19 seems more and more likely to have been around a lot longer than we think. We all had a 'mysterious' illness as well in mid-Feb. Son had a high fever for 2-3 days, no other symptoms, I had a slight cough, sore throat, sinus. Daughter and other son the same. Wife had it the worst, but recovered in about a week. We had just gone through a round of RSV the month beforehand as well, so it likely wasn't that.

4 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

More evidence that this virus is attacking primarily the blood cells. The acute respiratory distress that is listed as the leading cause of death as a result of covid is simply a byproduct of the lungs overworking to replenish oxygen to blood cells that can no longer carry oxygen.

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB1336g0?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

Your interpretation of the article is incorrect.  It's not even close to what you state here.

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic