• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

1 hour ago, Luke_Mages said:

Find one post where I've peddled one of trumps f**k ups as truth. You're delusional. As soon as someone even remotely leans right or isn't anti trump you lose your mind. Thats why Trump will win 2020, because of asshats like you who embolden his base.

And my stance on this whole thing is herd immunity. I've (along with others here) are open to the idea of purposely inoculating young and healthy volunteers, of which I would be one. 

So I'll be at work making sure you can eat, and my wife at work making sure you have healthcare, not parading around downtown in my car protesting.

What percentage of people does it take to gain herd immunity? Are you proposing they all be volunteers?

Just now, WNash said:

That satire account may have shared it, but they didn’t originate it. 

More and more people who don’t take this seriously are going to be dying, but that doesn’t matter to the fake “pro-life” Trump supporters.

I’m sorry for this guy’s family, but there will be many more like him if the death cult nuts get their way.

https://www.snyderfuneralhomes.com/obituary/john-w-mcdaniel/

The guy actually died but he didn't make that facebook post.

Just now, WNash said:

What percentage of people does it take to gain herd immunity? Are you proposing they all be volunteers?

From what I've read about 60% of the gen pop. It would be impossible for them all to be volunteers. Anyone deemed "high risk" would remain in isolation until that was achieved. The alternative is to await a vaccine, which is still 12-18 months out. You're talking about a global collapse of the economy in that period of time. Here in the states we'll probably be for the most part fine. But you're talking millions of deaths around the world due to starvation and war.

1 minute ago, Luke_Mages said:

The guy actually died but he didn't make that facebook post.

Do you have evidence of that? Are you saying that none of the Trump cult loudmouths who have been running their mouths and commenting online, repeating what their dear leader said about how COVID-19 just being like the flu or a cold, have gotten sick and died?

Just now, Luke_Mages said:

From what I've read about 60% of the gen pop. It would be impossible for them all to be volunteers. Anyone deemed "high risk" would remain in isolation until that was achieved. The alternative is to await a vaccine, which is still 12-18 months out. You're talking about a global collapse of the economy in that period of time. Here in the states we'll probably be for the most part fine. But you're talking millions of deaths around the world due to starvation and war.

I see, so you want to send other people off to die so some rich people can stay rich. 

Just now, WNash said:

Do you have evidence of that? Are you saying that none of the Trump cult loudmouths who have been running their mouths and commenting online, repeating what their dear leader said about how COVID-19 just being like the flu or a cold, have gotten sick and died?

I searched pretty thoroughly. Plus that's the kind of headline CNN would have put front page if it were true. Every place I found that had that circled back to that satire site. 

Just now, WNash said:

I see, so you want to send other people off to die so some rich people can stay rich. 

No just the opposite....so the poorest of people dont die. Did you misread what I wrote? Millions if not billions around the world depend on the american economy.

26 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

No just the opposite....so the poorest of people dont die. Did you misread what I wrote? Millions if not billions around the world depend on the american economy.

An economy that has seen income and wealth shifted to the top by deliberate changes to tax law, public policy, labor rights, etc. 

You’ve made it clear here that these decisions are fine by you because you claim you grew up incredibly poor and by sheer force of will you are thriving, while everyone not at successful as you is lazy and deserves nothing. 

But the consequence has been that a huge swath of society will be cut down and suffer, either by deprivation or by this disease, unless we do what we have been doing and use the vast wealth of society to provide sustenance for some people for a while. You disagree with that approach because of your political views, so in essence you’re saying: screw those lazy scumbags, they can go die.

51 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I searched pretty thoroughly. Plus that's the kind of headline CNN would have put front page if it were true. Every place I found that had that circled back to that satire site. 

You must not have looked very hard. This tweet predated that Facebook page by a couple of hours. It includes a link to the Facebook account of the deceased, which has been taken down (you also can tell it actually once existed because his friends tagged him in their condolences and the tags are broken).

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeTall/status/1251990220007813120

It also doesn’t take much effort to find more MAGA chuds who were the echo chamber for their big dumb president’s lies about COVID19 and then died of it. I’d rather not link to their names because it’s actually very sad — I may think a few of my extended family members are a**holes and have the politics to prove it, but I’d still rather them not die after loudly shouting that COVID19 is no worse than the flu. I pray that they have the sense to let learning correct their bad judgement.

3 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

Edited. shouldn't have called you a scumbag. Sorry.

I do accept your apology, thanks. We may think people who disagree with us are contemptible, but it’s another think entirely to throw around personal insults in this forum (except for “weenie”).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WNash said:

An economy that has seen income and wealth shifted to the top by deliberate changes to tax law, public policy, labor rights, etc. 

You’ve made it clear here that these decisions are fine by you because you claim you grew up incredibly poor and by sheer force of will you are thriving, while everyone not at successful as you is lazy and deserves nothing. 

But the consequence has been that a huge swath of society will be cut down and suffer, either by deprivation or by this disease, unless we do what we have been doing and use the vast wealth of society to provide sustenance for some people for a while. You disagree with that approach because of your political views, so in essence you’re saying: screw those lazy scumbags, they can go die.

Never said that everyone that isn't as successful as me is lazy. What I've said is that if you work your ass off the chances are likely that you will be successful and that in general people are lazy. Typically people are self unaware and chose to blame everyone else for their misfortunes rather than being honest with themselves. We're seeing tons of examples of that right now with people taking advantage of the extra $600 for unemployment.

For your second point what I'm saying is that while america can stay shutdown and feed its people the vast majority of the world cannot. The US wait 12-18 months for a vaccine. (Albeit with debt that our great grandchildren will be paying). The world cant.

For a simple example look at most Caribbean islands. They are typically far above the carrying capacity of their land mass and only sustainable through tourism. What happens to them in 12-18 months?

2 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

One thing that i haven't run across a good explanation for...is that Fauci, etal have been saying a vaccine is usually a 12-18 month effort to get it developed, tested, approved, deployed.  Which i get.  However, and i  could be off here a bit, the 2009 H1N1 vaccine was apparently developed within about 4-6 months.  What gives?  Is there something special about corona virus vaccines?  In fact, even with what i believe was a shorter vaccine timeline, by the time it was rolled out in Nov 2009, the virus had pretty much run its course and the mass quantities of vaccine weren't needed (or wanted by that point...$$).  

4 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

One thing that i haven't run across a good explanation for...is that Fauci, etal have been saying a vaccine is usually a 12-18 month effort to get it developed, tested, approved, deployed.  Which i get.  However, and i  could be off here a bit, the 2009 H1N1 vaccine was apparently developed within about 4-6 months.  What gives?  Is there something special about corona virus vaccines?  In fact, even with what i believe was a shorter vaccine timeline, by the time it was rolled out in Nov 2009, the virus had pretty much run its course and the mass quantities of vaccine weren't needed (or wanted by that point...$$).  

Just guessing, but modifying an existing flu vaccine must be easier than creating an entirely new vaccine from scratch.  They also probably have all the infrastructure and knowledge in place as they have been making influenza vaccines for decades.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I think it was because the 2009 H1N1 was simply a variant of the standard H1N1 which is your seasonal flu, so they had to simply make changes to the standard flu vaccine which they already do seasonally. Just my guess.

The other thing to remember is that only a small percentage of the population get the flu vaccine, whereas the 12-18 month time frame is to allow for nearly everyone to get vaccinated for covid 19.

A coronavirus vaccine trial by University of Oxford researchers aims to get efficacy results by September, and manufacturing is already underway.

A team led by Sarah Gilbert, a professor of vaccinology, has recruited 500 volunteers from the ages of 18 to 55 for the early- and mid-stage randomized controlled trial. It will be extended to older adults and then to a final stage trial of 5,000 people. Gilbert said that the timing is ambitious but achievable.

“We would hope to have at least some doses that are ready to be used by September,” she said in an interview. “There won’t be enough for everywhere by then, but the more manufacturing we can do starting from now, then the more doses there will be.”

2 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I think it was because the 2009 H1N1 was simply a variant of the standard H1N1 which is your seasonal flu, so they had to simply make changes to the standard flu vaccine which they already do seasonally. Just my guess.

The other thing to remember is that only a small percentage of the population get the flu vaccine, whereas the 12-18 month time frame is to allow for nearly everyone to get vaccinated for covid 19.

But isn't the coronavirus just a variation/mutation of the common cold? Would not the same concept be applied here?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/general-information.html

It's all hands on deck, a race against time..

There are currently 70 potential vaccines for the coronavirus in the works — with three already being tested on people, the World Health Organization says.

Two US pharmaceutical firms — Moderna in Massachusetts and Inovio of Pennsylvania — are involved in clinical trials, while a third company, CanSino Biologics of Hong Kong, is working with the Beijing Institute of Technology to conduct other human testing, WHO said.

Another 67 companies, including drug giant Pfizer Inc., also are racing to develop a vaccine, the agency said.

Researchers are pushing to bring a vaccine to market within the year — which would be a remarkable feat given that such drugs typically take more than a decade to make it to the public, Bloomberg reported

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

But isn't the coronavirus just a variation/mutation of the common cold? Would not the same concept be applied here?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/general-information.html

Well in that line of thought, we might never have a vaccine as they could never find one for the common cold, or maybe its just not important because the common cold is rarely deadly.  

• Like 3

Just now, Luke_Mages said:

I think that this is entirely "new" covid virus.

From the article you linked:

image.png.66cb04cb6206679fa751aa6441417596.png

As Delta mentioned if we cannot find a cure for the common cold, what makes us think we can for this? Or is the common cold not severe enough to find a remedy too and majority of time we are at the herd immunity phase already. (Barring mutation)

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic