• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

19 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The CPI index goes up and up all the while salaries are stagnant. You cannot use oil as that is tied to futures.

For most Americans, real wages have barely budged for decades ...

Real Wage Growth Is Actually Falling

First graph we talked about in your other article, salaries increased 11% over inflation.

The second graph,  here's the same data from EPI.

image.png.4a0c2e1e303f5f215d5b8fdb19241e07.png

1 minute ago, Luke_Mages said:

First graph we talked about in your other article, salaries increased 11% over inflation.

The second graph,  here's the same data from EPI.

image.png.4a0c2e1e303f5f215d5b8fdb19241e07.png

So you're saying we have more purchasing power vs salaries then we do in the past? That is simply incorrect. 

https://www.officialdata.org/us/inflation/1799

• Like 1

If you're stating there is a direct relationship between rising salaries and prices going up on products I agree. But to what degree would the prices go up vs the increase in someones salary? 

For instance, if someone who makes 30k a year gets a salary increase to 50k a year post tax that is about a 14k increase in salary. An increase in a grocery bill of $100 per month would still make them be far more comfortable then if they stayed at 30k a year. 

wage growth and inflation

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-economy/2015/november/relationship-between-wage-growth-inflation

29 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

If you're stating there is a direct relationship between rising salaries and prices going up on products I agree. But to what degree would the prices go up vs the increase in someones salary? 

It wouldn't be directly linear, because like your example of groceries you wouldn't necessarily buy more of something simply because you were able to.

Its the same reason that all of the buying power that 1%ers have doesn't have that much of an effect on inflation. There not buying more of the same stuff than you and I are. 

I'm not following you on that other site on buying power. To me that just looks like a calculator to show what a $ was worth relatively in any given year since 1799. My argument was that if salaries have grown at a rate of 11% over inflation since 1980 as per your link then buying power has definitely increased, as salaries technically should only keep up with inflation to keep buying power even.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

It wouldn't be directly linear, because like your example of groceries you wouldn't necessarily buy more of something simply because you were able to.

Its the same reason that all of the buying power that 1%ers have doesn't have that much of an effect on inflation. There not buying more of the same stuff than you and I are. 

I'm not following you on that other site on buying power. To me that just looks like a calculator to show what a $ was worth relatively in any given year since 1799. My argument was that if salaries have grown at a rate of 11% over inflation since 1980 as per your link then buying power has definitely increased, as salaries technically should only keep up with inflation to keep buying power even.

Busy at work but standard rate of inflation through history is 3% per year, so 11% since 1980 is terrible... unless you mean 11% per year? Which is also incorrect. But that would be awesome. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Busy at work but standard rate of inflation through history is 3% per year, so 11% since 1980 is terrible... unless you mean 11% per year? Which is also incorrect. But that would be awesome. 

No your article said "11% over inflation" so the wage is 11% higher today than what it would have been if only raised for inflation.

Heres the full quote from this article you posted https://www.epi.org/productivity-pay-gap/. They make it sound like workers pay should have increased at a rate to match productivity when that increase in productivity is due to technology.

?From 1979 to 2018, net productivity rose 69.6 percent, while the hourly pay of typical workers essentially stagnated—increasing only 11.6 percent over 39 years (after adjusting for inflation). This means that although Americans are working more productively than ever, the fruits of their labors have primarily accrued to those at the top and to corporate profits, especially in recent years."

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

No your article said "11% over inflation" so the wage is 11% higher today than what it would have been if only raised for inflation.

Heres the full quote from this article you posted https://www.epi.org/productivity-pay-gap/. They make it sound like workers pay should have increased at a rate to match productivity when that increase in productivity is due to technology.

?From 1979 to 2018, net productivity rose 69.6 percent, while the hourly pay of typical workers essentially stagnated—increasing only 11.6 percent over 39 years (after adjusting for inflation). This means that although Americans are working more productively than ever, the fruits of their labors have primarily accrued to those at the top and to corporate profits, especially in recent years."

I like this back and forth, it's helping me learn. It looks like you may be correct. It's tough to use the 80s as that was a pretty bad time for US economics. After doing further research I've come across this.

This is the CPI index inflation year over year directly from gov't website. We have been doing a fantastic job controlling inflation since 1990.

image.png.032326e56a4769849bc9840a42f089b5.png

It looks like we are actually doing pretty well in comparison to the 80s. However the 50s/60s did much better then during the 90s/2000s.

image.thumb.png.5f93a6dc366c64990a21fbb1c4c54cf6.png

• Like 1

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

My bigger issue isn't necessarily wages vs inflation. But the 1% income disparity.

image.png.ad02786b2b5d3c057a5b5c8e9d3c649c.png

Ya I just don't think you're ever going to fix that. Wasn't the tax rate like 95% on the ultra rich at one point to keep them from running away with wealth(and power)? Now I feel its like a necessary evil as you cant simply take all of that cash and put it back into the pool any easy way. 

8 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Ya I just don't think you're ever going to fix that. Wasn't the tax rate like 95% on the ultra rich at one point to keep them from running away with wealth(and power)? Now I feel its like a necessary evil as you cant simply take all of that cash and put it back into the pool any easy way. 

Yep. This is why super pacs are so dangerous. You need their money to win an election. But you cannot raise taxes on the wealthy because then you won't get super pacs and lose. An absolutely vicious cycle. And this is why the 1% control the world.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/statistics/historical-highest-marginal-income-tax-rates

image.thumb.png.ff0cba298bb6998f3b15160c15ffe72a.png

image.png.092d230b2d1f844c7010a6ddbb7bdbb0.png

42 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I'm just gonna leave THIS here.

I like Zerohedge but you have to be careful on some of it. Of course I say the same about the mainstream media also...

Enjoy and tighten down your tin foil hats! ;)

Well remember this guy you posted? Lol

And the job ad out of Wuhan in November..

Screenshot_20200417-160241.png

• Like 1

This was the fox news report a couple of days ago..

EXCLUSIVE: There is increasing confidence that the COVID-19 outbreak likely originated in a Wuhan laboratory, though not as a bioweapon but as part of China's attempt to demonstrate that its efforts to identify and combat viruses are equal to or greater than the capabilities of the United States, multiple sources who have been briefed on the details of early actions by China's government and seen relevant materials tell Fox News.

This may be the "costliest government cover-up of all time," one of the sources said.

The sources believe the initial transmission of the virus – a naturally occurring strain that was being studied there – was bat-to-human and that "patient zero" worked at the laboratory, then went into the population in Wuhan.

The “increasing confidence” comes from classified and open-source documents and evidence, the sources said. Fox News has requested to see the evidence directly. Sources emphasized -- as is often the case with intelligence -- that it’s not definitive and should not be characterized as such. Some inside the administration and the intelligence and epidemiological communities are more skeptical, and the investigation is continuing.

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Hey Luke we still taking one for the team?

Coronavirus patients between the ages of 30 and 39 are the second-highest age group in the city, according to officials.

https://patch.com/connecticut/norwalk/norwalk-coronavirus-update-30-year-old-resident-dies

That's really sad but still way more likely I ditch it riding my motorcycle. Especially since it wont stop snowing.

• Like 1

Sunlight destroys virus quickly, new govt. tests find

From Yahoo News: Yahoo News obtained a report showing preliminary results from government lab experiments show that the coronavirus does not survive long in high temperatures and high humidity, and is quickly destroyed by sunlight, providing evidence from controlled tests of what scientists believed — but had not yet proved — to be true.

This news offers hope that summertime may offer conditions less hospitable for the virus, though experts caution it will by no means eliminate, or even necessarily decrease, new cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. The results, however, do add an important piece of knowledge that the White House’s science advisers have been seeking as they scramble to respond to the spreading pandemic. 

The study found that the risk of “transmission from surfaces outdoors is lower during daylight” and under higher temperature and humidity conditions. “Sunlight destroys the virus quickly,” reads the briefing.

While that may provide some good news about the outlook for outdoor activities, the Department of Homeland Security briefing on the results cautions that enclosed areas with low humidity, such as airplane cabins, “may require additional care to minimize risk of transmission.”

In a statement to Yahoo News, the DHS declined to answer questions about the findings and strongly cautioned against drawing any conclusions based on unpublished data.

• Confused 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic