• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

43 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

Changed my mind.  Conspiracy theory goes like this:

China creates and releases virus into the world, using it’s own population as vectors.  They convince WHO that person to person isn’t happening to facilitate global spread.  Western powers follow along, US notwithstanding, but China only needs Europe to go with the WHO.  

China shrewdly  calculates its authoritarian government can manage the sickness internally  better than the west, so they accept losses.  History proves China doesn’t value life anyway.  They have killed 50 million of their own people in more than 1 instance in the last 100 years.

China calculates the US will have 150 million cases, similar to early CDC projections due to the failure of government and will of the ‘decadent’ population to manage the spread and lethality.  With the western powers destabilized with internal strife, China can advance its interests around the world while the west is mired in chaos.  Their gambit calculates civil unrest in the US from the gun toting part of population, and other protests, with the media eagerly fanning the flames of politic discord.  Trump is persecuted and removed from office prior to the election and the US government weakens substantially.  China knows regicide in the US is their ticket to the top.

Playing the long game, China waits as the west bleeds out, and then takes their interests to the final level they desire, and that is to be the dominant economic and military super power they are destined to be.  The virus is the tool to accelerate their position.  

Plausible.  

Also, a way to get back at Trump for tariffs. I can 100% see it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

Changed my mind.  Conspiracy theory goes like this:

China creates and releases virus into the world, using it’s own population as vectors.  They convince WHO that person to person isn’t happening to facilitate global spread.  Western powers follow along, US notwithstanding, but China only needs Europe to go with the WHO.  

China shrewdly  calculates its authoritarian government can manage the sickness internally  better than the west, so they accept losses.  History proves China doesn’t value life anyway.  They have killed 50 million of their own people in more than 1 instance in the last 100 years.

China calculates the US will have 150 million cases, similar to early CDC projections due to the failure of government and will of the ‘decadent’ population to manage the spread and lethality.  With the western powers destabilized with internal strife, China can advance its interests around the world while the west is mired in chaos.  Their gambit calculates civil unrest in the US from the gun toting part of population, and other protests, with the media eagerly fanning the flames of politic discord.  Trump is persecuted and removed from office prior to the election and the US government weakens substantially.  China knows regicide in the US is their ticket to the top.

Playing the long game, China waits as the west bleeds out, and then takes their interests to the final level they desire, and that is to be the dominant economic and military super power they are destined to be.  The virus is the tool to accelerate their position.  

Plausible.  

I've thought that this is a very real possibility that has to have been gamed out before somewhere within their Defense/Political establishments.  A perhaps less conspiratorial version would be that the virus was accidentally released, or even was just totally zoonotic, and  they just seized on the opportunity to help along the scenario by simply playing dumb and allowing internal and external population movements to occur (Chinese New Year travel) before they started to lockdown Hubei Province.  The delay and obfuscation ensure the virus escapes out and then you just sit back and watch the carnage unfold...

11 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I've thought that this is a very real possibility that has to have been gamed out before somewhere within their Defense/Political establishments.  A perhaps less conspiratorial version would be that the virus was accidentally released, or even was just totally zoonotic, and  they just seized on the opportunity to help along the scenario by simply playing dumb and allowing internal and external population movements to occur (Chinese New Year travel) before they started to lockdown Hubei Province.  The delay and obfuscation ensure the virus escapes out and then you just sit back and watch the carnage unfold...

The only way I think this makes sense is if there's a military move in the fold, like annexing Taiwan or the south east peninsula. Otherwise I think they just sent themselves into a death spiral along with the US. Tariffs or not we were still their biggest customer by far. Watch how far the anti made in chinese movement takes us...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

The only way I think this makes sense is if there's a military move in the fold, like annexing Taiwan or the south east peninsula. Otherwise I think they just sent themselves into a death spiral along with the US. Tariffs or not we were still their biggest customer by far. Watch how far the anti made in chinese movement takes us...

I watch shark tank and nearly every one of their companies outsource cheap labor to China/Mexico to keep cost down. How do we stop inflation if we don't have cheap labor?

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

I watch shark tank and nearly every one of their companies outsource cheap labor to China/Mexico to keep cost down. How do we stop inflation if we don't have cheap labor?

Robots...lots and lots of robots.

And then skynet.

Seriously though robots.

Maybe this whole thing puts pressure on that, if we fall into a deep depression there might be a push to make huge advancements on that front.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

And then skynet.

That's what Bill Gates wants right? A microchip embedded within each human? I heard it on 930 radio on the way home from work today. I guess it's incorrect.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/conspiracy-theory-misinterprets-goals-of-gates-foundation/

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That's what Bill Gates wants right? A microchip embedded within each human?

Im more thinking this. Plus some of the new solid state battery tech will allow nearly instant recharging making humanoid robots like this more feasible.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

And then skynet.

Seriously though robots.

Maybe this whole thing puts pressure on that, if we fall into a deep depression there might be a push to make huge advancements on that front.

Probably not.. R&D one of the first things to go with most companies.  GOOGL and AMZN have been exceptions to those rules as they had huge finance underpinning them while they spent years bleeding out cash.   Not saying some companies or Govt labs won't be working on automation but...i'll bet it goes slower than present pace...

28 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Probably not.. R&D one of the first things to go with most companies.  GOOGL and AMZN have been exceptions to those rules as they had huge finance underpinning them while they spent years bleeding out cash.   Not saying some companies or Govt labs won't be working on automation but...i'll bet it goes slower than present pace...

Sadly this is very true.  Science programs and the national labs are the first to get knocked around when the purse strings get tightened.  The average person does not understand the value of our science programs and science in general (whether its private of federal).  It's frustrating.  We are already getting emails about no raises this year, large projects being canceled, increased scrutiny on general spending.  Very dark days ahead.  The reality is starting to sink in.  My goal is to save money every single month from now until 2021.  At least being on lockdown makes that easier than usual with no concerts, bars, softball games, sporting events.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Sadly this is very true.  Science programs and the national labs are the first to get knocked around when the purse strings get tightened.  The average person does not understand the value of our science programs and science in general (whether its private of federal).  It's frustrating.  We are already getting emails about no raises this year, large projects being canceled, increased scrutiny on general spending.  Very dark days ahead.  The reality is starting to sink in.  My goal is to save money every single month from now until 2021.  At least being on lockdown makes that easier than usual with no concerts, bars, softball games, sporting events.  

I don’t know I’m so addicted to door dash 

1 hour ago, Luke_Mages said:

And then skynet.

Seriously though robots.

I think manufacturing will shift to developing countries that have transparent governance.  So by comparison, mexico is transparent.  And frankly we want Mexico to have a good economy and transparent governance.  We may enact laws that require such.  

Maybe India and other Southeast Asia areas benefit.  Would not surprise me if Chinese expats who know what they are doing lead the charge and open and manage new industry.  

Then the power balance shifts back to the US.  Europe has been frustrated with China, and have been in line to a certain degree with the us actions against China.  This is a real possibility and we will see how that develops.

The big loser is Australia. They got rich off Chinese expansion, and I’d say that’s in the lurch.  They went to a service economy, and that will disappear along with the mineral industry.  

2 hours ago, Syrmax said:

A subtlety here...to keep the conspiracy interesting.  Imagine an inside man at a lab who knows the potential of the virus is acting as an agent of the executive.  A small group inside Ji’s Intelligence and executive action committee are the ones who designed the plan.  Recognizing its potential, they decide now is the time to act.  Regime change in the US must happen.  Trump must go by any means.  Very few people in the executive of the PRC know about it, like 10 people. Very powerful group, and this is an executive action undertaking like none other.

Ji gives it the green light, the inside man executes his mission,  and the virus is in the markets the next day.  

They may have miscalculated. They are known to do that.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I don’t know I’m so addicted to door dash 

I havent eaten food not prepared at home since March 7th (and they were lousy wings; what a crappy last meal).  Its crazy.  I feel bad for the local places but I didnt eat there much before this all happened so I'm not about to change now.  

• Like 1

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

I havent eaten food not prepared at home since March 7th (and they were lousy wings; what a crappy last meal).  Its crazy.  I feel bad for the local places but I didnt eat there much before this all happened so I'm not about to change now.  

I've eaten out 1 time in the last 6 weeks. Before this I would eat out 3-5 times a week but I just don't trust it right now, not worth the risk. Plus I'm saving tons of money by not eating out. I'm spending about 100 bucks a week on groceries for all meals where as before I was spending 200 weekly just on eating out and still probably 50-60 bucks a week on groceries as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I love it. I place an order and it’s there within 30 mins. They waive the delivery fee too. I also like supporting local small businesses as I’m still working during this time. 

As a germaphobe, it just seems like a great way to open oneself up to another vector for catching this stupid virus.  So that weights into my decision to forego takeout.  Plus, I rarely feel like I can get a meal at restaurant that is better than what I can cook at home. 

Oh well, I'm glad some of you are keeping these places afloat, god knows they need all the help they can get.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

As a germaphobe, it just seems like a great way to open oneself up to another vector for catching this stupid virus.  So that weights into my decision to forego takeout.  Plus, I rarely feel like I can get a meal at restaurant that is better than what I can cook at home. 

Oh well, I'm glad some of you are keeping these places afloat, god knows they need all the help they can get.  

I mean a wegmans employee in Hamburg just got diagnosed with the virus. I'm sure she touched loads of food there. It's going to be tough to dodge it. I'm under the impression most of these restaurants have things in place to prevent that happening. The few restaurants I've gone too have 1-2 employees working in comparison to grocery stores with tons of people. My wife is laid off so she has been cooking quite a bit. But I do enjoy my meals at some local restaurants, especially Lucias. There is no way I can cook better than that chef does.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I mean a wegmans employee in Hamburg just got diagnosed with the virus. I'm sure she touched loads of food there. It's going to be tough to dodge it. I'm under the impression most of these restaurants have things in place to prevent that happening. The few restaurants I've gone too have 1-2 employees working in comparison to grocery stores with tons of people. My wife is laid off so she has been cooking quite a bit. But I do enjoy my meals at some local restaurants, especially Lucias. There is no way I can cook better than that chef does.

I do grocery pickup from Walmart, totally free and contactless. You pay over the app. They sign for you if you ask them too so you don’t have to touch their iPad and they load everything right in your trunk for you. Once I get home I spray everything down with Lysol and wipe it down with disinfectant wipes one by one before I bring them in, and yes it takes quite a while but definitley something worth doing imo as like you said you don’t know who has touched it while shopping for the order, and the virus can live on cardboard and packaging for at least 24 hours. 

• Like 1

Here's my take on what really happened: China has been trying to become a leader in virology (along with viral weaponizing) and have multiple research labs around the country testing all sorts of germs. Unfortunately, they don't have the proper safety protocols in these labs and someone contracted COVID-19 (patient zero) and started shedding it before symptoms were present. As it spread, the Chinese government was made aware and attempted to contain it quickly, however, there were local doctors who were aware and knew what was happening. They tried to convey, but were quickly silenced - as it would be a VERY bad look to the rest of the world (that China was out-of-control with this thing). So, they decided to continue trying to contain, but soon realized there was no stopping it, within China. At that point, they knew it was going to disrupt their economy, and I believe THAT was the time the Chinese leadership decided to let thing virus out (by stalling) so that the rest of the world's economies would be at parity dealing with it. To them, it's worth the 200k+ lives lost in other countries, to save their own economy in order to reach their Made in China 2025 plan. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Sort of same here, although a bar/restaurant that I used to frequent (a bit too often frankly), has been offering takeout meals 2x a week so I have been getting a Friday fish fry each week to support them... but that's been it for buying prepared food. I've actually taken up learning how to cook while on lockdown. I'm kind if enjoying it!

• Like 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic