• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

16 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

People around here live off their land , big Amish community, most people go into town once every few weeks (without social distancing lol) I don't think we could do herd immunity if we wanted to lol 

Yea good point. I think places like that will probably be fine going about their normal business until a vaccine is available though, especially with the heightened awareness resulting from all of this. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Updated numbers for Oswego county..

Screenshot_20200418-183840.png

Those are vanishingly small numbers of cases.   Probably in line with seasonal flu caseloads.  The one size fits all responses have been excessive IMO.  Hotspot areas downstate, makes sense.  Not in the boonies.   Cuomo should significantly relax requirements in places like Oswego County.

• Like 4

I hung out with my buddy who had it. He said he was also of the mindset of not caring about getting it but he said it was terrible, and the worse lasted 3-4 days. He thinks his grandpa was the first in his family to get it, he died a month ago. His grandma got it and is fine, his mom and him are fine, his uncle is at the end of it.

I think most people have a problem accepting our own mortality. I don't really fear death. I know I have another 40-45 years left on this planet if I'm lucky. I want to use those years to the fullest I can. In the last 3 years I had a friend get hit my a car in a Tops parking lot in East Aurora and die, her son watched her as she got it. A colleague of mine get a heart attack following a hockey game and died at 46. The worst of all was a really good friend of mine who was 26 at a wedding in Perry NY. He was eating dessert with us at 9 PM and at 930 he passed out, they tried for an hour to get him back but nothing. 26 years old....And just last year a colleague at my works best friend died from some freak fluid into her lungs issue at 21(she had some rare medical issue before this)...She was all over the news I'm sure some saw it. My grandpa died 3 years ago at 72 (smoker/drinker) and my uncle died at 55 the same year as an alcholic and tried to stop drinking and his body went into shock and died.

I also work in retirement, and some of the stories I hear of death are worse then these. Life tomorrow is not promised, enjoy each day.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

Numbers are down in Onondaga County.  The county executive is talking about possibly relaxing some restrictions after May 1.  He wants to see how the numbers trend until then.

I could be wrong but from what I understand the County Executives do not have the power to overrule an executive order from the Governor. 

23 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

I could be wrong but from what I understand the County Executives do not have the power to overrule an executive order from the Governor. 

They don’t.  Our county executive had closed all but state run golf courses in Onondaga County but once Cuomo opened privately run courses he had to defer to that.

On 4/17/2020 at 12:30 PM, cleetussnow said:

Bush said in 2000 that the mortgage market was in great peril and the GSE’s needed reform.  It is the most prescient thing he ever said.  I joked he should gave got the Nobel prize in economics for that.  Most winners aren’t that prescient.  

the problems arose when then Clinton appointee to Fannie Mae Franklin Raines started subprime lending, which was outside their charter and put taxpayers at risk.  GSE cop Armando Falcone went after them in 1999, but the administration did nothing.  The problem spiraled and mortgage lending became a haven for fraud.  Bush tried to stop it categorically.  He was thwarted by Congress many times.  

It’s unfortunate that we have to revisit the notion that mortgage borrowers were to blame for the financial crisis. It’s was the derivatives betting market that blew it all to hell. You guys always latch onto some convenient narrative that blames the poor. The amount that Freddy and Fanny contributed to the crisis was paltry. 
Were they lending to less than qualified people? Sure. You bet. But it was the 70x margin trading that was to blame. If the nut of the lend had failed, or even 10x of the nut, we would’ve been ok. It was the fact that the derivatives house of cards gave way that caused insolvency. 

• Like 2

On 4/17/2020 at 11:38 AM, cleetussnow said:

Followed it carefully.  I only state facts above so judge Clinton actions for yourself.  However, I don’t find Clinton’s actions defensible.  Nor do I find mueller or comey defendable.  I’m not defending trumps actions only because I can find no actions to speak of and neither can mueller.  Mueller report didn’t even result in a vote in Congress from people who want to kill him.  Stop it.  And Congress was wrong.  Adam Schiff lied.  He said he had indisputable evidence trump and Russia colluded.  So did the former director of the CIA (who recanted his statements.  Publicly!) Schiff said trump was an agent of Russia, and tried to destroy democracy, categorically and in the public record of the House of Representatives.  Of course, this all before the mueller came out and you haven’t heard from schiff since.  The reason is, he lied, produced no evidence, and now has no credibility.  The press wants to kill trump and they even gave up on it.  Charade over.  

Both Schiff and former cia Director Brennan said trump was a liar.  Mueller didn’t.  You say trump lied to you..fine.  But let’s not be selective based on your book of business.  All of us were lied to for 2 years and in this case, it wasn’t by trump.  

Now, maybe the people investigating trump and Clinton and everyone else were incompetent.  Plausible,  federal investigator Durham has been working on this for a year.  At best they were incompetent.  At worst, corrupt.  Read the horowitz report.  The FBI got scolded hard.  The judges who signed the FBI FISA warrants took away those agents privileges to come to the FISA court again.  Why?  They lied to the judges.  Durham will tell us why they lied.  And the FBI hasn’t fixed their policies even today per the judges order.  

Looking 360 degrees is best before you call someone delusional.  

The Mueller report didn’t rise to the level of impeachment. Of course your boy literally asked (the next day) for foreign help in his election and that’s ultimately what got him impeached. But to say there was nothing in the Mueller report IS delusional. It found obstruction. Trump was protected from his worst impulses by those who didn’t follow his orders. 
I’ll never wrap my head around supporting this guy. He lacks any redeeming moral qualities. He’s petty, vindictive, and mean. 

• Like 4

So I figured out the best day to go to the supermarket lol 

I passed a total of zero cars on the 6 mile ride to Pulaski... Maybe 5 customers total in tops on a Sunday afternoon lol Amazing how many people are following the voluntary restrictions here...

6 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

I passed a total of zero cars on the 6 mile ride to Pulaski... Maybe 5 customers total in tops on a Sunday afternoon lol Amazing how many people are following the voluntary restrictions here...

only 2200 people live in Pulaski ^_^

Over 60k live in Hamburg, its crowded everywhere I go.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Also why that regions numbers remain so low. You’re lucky to live in a rural area for this.?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Also why that regions numbers remain so low. You’re lucky to live in a rural area for this.?

Yeah I would say so Dave.. Some areas are a little more crowded like Fulton with 3,000 people per sq mile, they have done a wonderful job as well..

Here in Albion twp we have about 46 people per sq mile lol 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Protest scheduled for NY on Tuesday

Part of this crew of professional protesters? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/04/19/pro-gun-activists-using-facebook-groups-push-anti-quarantine-protests/

What’s the term for fake grassroots protesters who are really doing the bidding of the elites... AstroTurf?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Fake. Ripped from a satire site you scumbag.

https://www.facebook.com/Tyrannowhale/

image.png.bce27ce433bacc2a7c23f1118614819e.png

Scumbag? You're the biggest f*cking scumbag on here besides that idiot you support as President who flat out lies and peddles in fake news at least 10 times a day. Get a life loser.

https://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, champy said:

Scumbag? You're the biggest f*cking scumbag on here besides that idiot you support as President who flat out lies and peddles in fake news at least 10 times a day. Get a life loser.

https://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/

Find one post where I've peddled one of trumps f**k ups as truth. You're delusional. As soon as someone even remotely leans right or isn't anti trump you lose your mind. Thats why Trump will win 2020, because of asshats like you who embolden his base.

And my stance on this whole thing is herd immunity. I've (along with others here) are open to the idea of purposely inoculating young and healthy volunteers, of which I would be one. 

So I'll be at work making sure you can eat, and my wife at work making sure you have healthcare, not parading around downtown in my car protesting.

2 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

Fake. Ripped from a satire site you scumbag.

https://www.facebook.com/Tyrannowhale/

image.png.bce27ce433bacc2a7c23f1118614819e.png

That satire account may have shared it, but they didn’t originate it. 

More and more people who don’t take this seriously are going to be dying, but that doesn’t matter to the fake “pro-life” Trump supporters.

I’m sorry for this guy’s family, but there will be many more like him if the death cult nuts get their way.

https://www.snyderfuneralhomes.com/obituary/john-w-mcdaniel/

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic