• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

As Delta mentioned if we cannot find a cure for the common cold, what makes us think we can for this? Or is the common cold not severe enough to find a remedy too and majority of time we are at the herd immunity phase already. (Barring mutation)

Yep, which is why waiting this out isn't the correct course of action. My wife has to get the flu vaccine every year for work. Nearly every year she still gets the flu...

• Like 1

As Delta mentioned if we cannot find a cure for the common cold, what makes us think we can for this? Or is the common cold not severe enough to find a remedy too and majority of time we are at the herd immunity phase already. (Barring mutation)

They are working on it, but not at a break-neck speeds, but here are some of the reasons why there isn't one yet:

200+ strains of the common 'cold' - complex

Relatively mild - not a huge need for one (although it would be great, IMO)

They are developing a vaccine for RSV - which is the most severe 'cold' virus.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The common cold is also the goldmine for the OTC industry.  It's just bad enough to make you uncomfortable for days or even weeks yet rarely kills.  The perfect virus to make a myriad or OTC medicine that simply relieve symptoms.  I bet a lot of companies would go under if the common cold was ever eradicated.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Yep, which is why waiting this out isn't the correct course of action. My wife has to get the flu vaccine every year for work. Nearly every year she still gets the flu...

The Flu vaccine doesn't prevent one from getting the flu, it's meant to minimize the symptoms and help you recover more quickly.

• Like 2

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

The common cold is also the goldmine for the OTC industry.  It's just bad enough to make you uncomfortable for days or even weeks yet rarely kills.  The perfect virus to make a myriad or OTC medicine that simply relieve symptoms.  I bet a lot of companies would go under if the common cold was ever eradicated.

True I get the common cold twice a year but I call it a sinus infection because it occurs in Fall and in Spring. Every Oct/April it seems. I buy quite a bit of medicine OTC during this time. Nighttime and sinus meds.

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

I dont think we have the tech to completeley eradicate anything at this point. Only one disease is considered eradicated, smallpox.

1 minute ago, vortmax said:

The Flu vaccine doesn't prevent one getting the flu, it's meant to minimize the symptoms and help you recover more quickly.

CDC says otherwise. I think what you said is what a lot of people think to comfort them about how inefective the standard flu vaccine is. (60% on a good year) https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/keyfacts.htm

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luke_Mages said:

CDC says otherwise. I think what you said is what a lot of people think to comfort them about how inefective the standard flu vaccine is. (60% on a good year) https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/keyfacts.htm

The flu vaccine prevents millions of illnesses and flu-related doctor’s visits each year. For example, during 2017-2018, flu vaccination prevented an estimated 6.2 million influenza illnesses, 3.2 million influenza-associated medical visits, 91,000 influenza-associated hospitalizations, and 5,700 influenza-associated deaths.

I get what you're saying, but I don't see how they can verify how many people didn't get the Flu because of the vaccine. 6.2M prevented? How would they know? The only hard data they have to go on is 'averts', not prevents.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/burden-averted.htm

• Like 1

Just now, vortmax said:

The flu vaccine prevents millions of illnesses and flu-related doctor’s visits each year. For example, during 2017-2018, flu vaccination prevented an estimated 6.2 million influenza illnesses, 3.2 million influenza-associated medical visits, 91,000 influenza-associated hospitalizations, and 5,700 influenza-associated deaths.

I get what you're saying, but I don't see how they can verify how many people didn't get the Flu because of the vaccine. 6.2M prevented? How would they know? The only hard data they have to go on is 'averts', not prevents.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/burden-averted.htm

I'm pretty sure they estimate how many people get the flu. As stated several times, the majority of people do not go to the doctors when they get the flu.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

COVID-19 antibody testing site at Wegmans on Alberta Drive! This is what we need. I want to see if I have already been in contact with the virus so I don't have to worry about it.

Agree it’s what we need but the number that they are capable of doing is literally negligible. Maximum they can run is 150 test a day. Just to put it in perspective it would take over 17 years at that rate just to test everyone in Erie County. There is a huge shortage of these test that the Governor just said in his press conference and this stems from the Federal Government manufacturers and there is no idea when they will be able to get up to a meaningful volume of test.

8 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I dont think we have the tech to completeley eradicate anything at this point. Only one disease is considered eradicated, smallpox.

With the advent of CRISPR, I believe we're going to see some significant advances in vaccine tech and manufacturing in the next 5-10 years like we haven't seen before. Granted, this will also increase the risk of creating an zombie vaccine that could end the world.

• Like 2

Just now, WesterlyWx said:

Agree it’s what we need but the number that they are capable of doing is literally negligible. Maximum they can run is 150 test a day. Just to put it in perspective it would take over 17 years at that rate just to test everyone in Erie County. There is a huge shortage of these test that the Governor just said in his press conference and this stems from the Federal Government manufacturers and there is no idea when they will be able to get up to a meaningful volume of test.

This is just the start. We will be testing thousands a day soon. It will ramp up quickly. I think NYS is completely reopen by July 4th.

Just now, vortmax said:

With the advent of CRISPR, I believe we're going to see some significant advances in vaccine tech and manufacturing in the next 5-10 years like we haven't seen before. Granted, this will also increase the risk of creating an zombie vaccine that could end the world.

Literally lol'd, and then thought of I am legend and resident evil.

• Like 1

Just now, WesterlyWx said:

The 'shortage' of post-COVID antibody testing is because it's brand spanking new. Only some smaller countries like UK and Germany are starting to ramp this up. It takes time.

Just now, vortmax said:

Unfortunately I was only half-kidding. We are moving into a very ethically-challenging time when it comes to the genetic altering CRISPR allows.

I agree. At some point in our life times we may see professional athletes screened for genetic modification.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Buffalos protest

I don't know if it was a protest...but yesterday, returning home from dodging the virus at Home Depot, i spotted a guy sort of jogging alongside the road, on his own.  Seemed a bit oddly dressed for jogging (compared to what you usually see)  but what was really odd was that he was holding up a decent sized American Flag on a pole as he jogged.  It was also raining.  I wonder if this was some sort of protest thing or just a guy feeling super patriotic.  ;)

• Haha 1

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do any international travel this year. But hoping to at least make a few trips out west once we start to reopen. Any recommendations?

I'm in the same boat.  I actually "bought" an extra week of vacation this year but not only have i had to cancel an Orlando golf trip in March, and 2 week Italy trip (starting tommorrow - not)...no idea what int'l  travel will be available.  I'd like to get over to Germany and catch some of my soccer team if possible (did that last fall).  Plus, doing some travelling post-covid has got to be less crowded as i don't think everyone will immediately feel up to int'l travel right away.  

i've been thinking of something out in western US or Western Canada for "domestic" alternatives.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

I'm in the same boat.  I actually "bought" an extra week of vacation this year but not only have i had to cancel an Orlando golf trip in March, and 2 week Italy trip (starting tommorrow - not)...no idea what int'l  travel will be available.  I'd like to get over to Germany and catch some of my soccer team if possible (did that last fall).  Plus, doing some travelling post-covid has got to be less crowded as i don't think everyone will immediately feel up to int'l travel right away.  

i've been thinking of something out in western US or Western Canada for "domestic" alternatives.

I was thinking Alaska/Hawaii again if possible. I went to Hawaii last year but want to hit up another island or two. But if I want to stay in the states maybe NW coast, glacier national park, Yosemite, grand canyon. The SW has quite a few places to go.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do any international travel this year. But hoping to at least make a few trips out west once we start to reopen. Any recommendations?

One of our favorite vacations was Vancouver, which I'd imagine will be doable later this year. We stayed downtown and were a 30 minute drive from the grouse grind which we hiked from sea level. We also summit-ed Brunswick and West Lion leaving from Cypress. We went in early June and needed all of daylight to make that work. Didn't see a soul for 12 hours.

https://goo.gl/maps/55YRBzqa68LyPNKp6 Was kind of odd at times but an adventure nonetheless.

https://goo.gl/maps/icsAe7n8e9YkZ1TG8 Completely Epic. Feet of snow on the ground still in spots.

Here's a pic from that summit. I had to downsize the image to post but those are cruise ships in the fjord. 

image.png.382ad1bd976e7fc1eb2eafb1a8ce2023.png

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

One of our favorite vacations was Vancouver, which I'd imagine will be doable later this year. We stayed downtown and were a 30 minute drive from the grouse grind which we hiked from sea level. We also summit-ed Brunswick and West Lion leaving from Cypress. We went in early June and needed all of daylight to make that work. Didn't see a soul for 12 hours.

https://goo.gl/maps/55YRBzqa68LyPNKp6 Was kind of odd at times but an adventure nonetheless.

https://goo.gl/maps/icsAe7n8e9YkZ1TG8 Completely Epic. Feet of snow on the ground still in spots.

Here's a pic from that summit. I had to downsize the image to post but those are cruise ships in the fjord. 

image.png.382ad1bd976e7fc1eb2eafb1a8ce2023.png

I would def pass on the Cruise ship.  ;)

• Haha 3

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic