• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

I sure hope the world holds China leadership responsible for withholding critical information from the world. Isn't the first time:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92479/

And the WHO isn't helping:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-truth-behind-world-health-organisation-puzzling-wet-markets-decision-110140700.html

Sad.

20 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Business insider

Old enough to drive a car? Then you would be old enough to receive $2,000 a month under a plan introduced this week by two Democratic lawmakers in the House of Representatives.

Under the Emergency Money for the People Act, US citizens who are 16 or older — and make less than $130,000 a year — would receive cash payments from the federal government for at least six months and until unemployment falls to pre-pandemic levels

So responsible compassionate side of me would want to donate my portion.

The other 95% of me wants a Ducati monster. LOL

• Haha 2

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has ordered all residents that they must now wear masks or face coverings in public if they cannot stay 6ft apart as part of his 'blueprint' in reopening the economy which is based on how essential a shuttered business is and how successfully it can keep employees part. 

Cuomo signed the order regarding masks and face coverings on Wednesday and said people would receive civil violations if they do not comply. 

It will apply in any public space where social distancing is 'impossible', including in grocery stores, on public transport and on busy streets. 

Your right to go out for a walk in the park? Fine. Don't infect me. You don't have a right to infect me. If you're going to be in a situation in public where you may come into contact with other people and a situation, that is not socially distanced, you must have a mask or a cloth covering nose and mouth. That is by executive order,' he said. 

He later clarified that a person should go out with their mask and be prepared to pull it up over their nose and mouth if they come within 6ft of someone, but that they can leave it down, around their chin, if they do not. 

He is not yet imposing fines but says he has not ruled it out. People will be given a three day compliance period from now in order to get one, he added. 

Cuomo's 'blueprint' will involve reopening businesses based on how essential they are and how they can ensure that they will maintain social distancing among employees. 

He says that the crisis will not be '100 percent' over until a vaccine has been created which will take 12-18 months but that in the meantime, testing and tracing and then a treatment will allow people to get back to some sense of normalcy sooner.

Deaths increased by 752 on Tuesday which brings the state's total to 11,586. 

That number however does not include the some 3,000 that were added to New York City's death toll because officials are now counting people who died without ever testing positive for COVID-19 but who medics fear had the virus. 

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Gov Cuomo

20200415_131423.jpg

20200415_131430.jpg

What if you can't buy one? LOL. Make one? I failed Arts n Crafts in HS. ;)

I don't wear one on my daily walks as it's fairly sparse amt of houses in my area and it would be absurd. Though, it wouldn't surprise me to be accosted by one the local Stasi or Hitler Jugend wannabe's to bark at me someday.  

14 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

8 more days, it should help to occupy the mind for a few days..Draft.thumb.jpg.58740a0ce554fa46a1614d78929dda5e.jpg

NYG gon draft an OL...prob not a bad plan as at present we need a track star QB to keep him upright...though I'd rather have a game changer Defenselive lineman, like Chase Young.

6 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

NYG gon draft an OL...prob not a bad plan as at present we need a track star QB to keep him upright...though I'd rather have a game changer Defenselive lineman, like Chase Young.

Yeah it seems most Giants fans want all world LB Simmons out of Clemson, young "should" be gone at#2..I agree about the OL in the first round, I think it will be the kid out of Iowa..He had one of the best combines ever for an offensive lineman..

50 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

8 more days, it should help to occupy the mind for a few days..Draft.thumb.jpg.58740a0ce554fa46a1614d78929dda5e.jpg

Sadly they will likely be drafting players we won’t see suit up until fall 2021.  Maybe sports will find a way to play without stadium attendance by then; but then the teams will lose a huge chunk of revenue so that probably isn’t viable either. 

• Like 1

Researchers have discovered what they described as a "significant" mutation of the novel coronavirus, which they believe "raises the alarm" that the search for a vaccine could become "futile" down the line. The study, published on the biorxiv.org repository, notes researchers were able to analyze a sample of SARS-CoV-2 from India on January 27 and found a mutation that "leads to weaker receptor binding capability."

Although this is received as 'bad' news, it's actually good news as this virus may be well on its way to mutate out of infectiousness. This would be the best case scenario.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Researchers have discovered what they described as a "significant" mutation of the novel coronavirus, which they believe "raises the alarm" that the search for a vaccine could become "futile" down the line. The study, published on the biorxiv.org repository, notes researchers were able to analyze a sample of SARS-CoV-2 from India on January 27 and found a mutation that "leads to weaker receptor binding capability."

Although this is received as 'bad' news, it's actually good news as this virus may be well on its way to mutate out of infectiousness. This would be the best case scenario.

It could also go the other way, mutating to become more infectious or deadly. Flattening the curve could turn out to be a mistake should that happen.

12 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Things usually don't mutate in that way.  Survival of the fittest would mean that the poorly transmitted mutation disappears while the highly transmitted version continues on.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Luke_Mages said:

It could also go the other way, mutating to become more infectious or deadly. Flattening the curve could turn out to be a mistake should that happen.

They said it's likely that won't happen..."Though there’s the very rare chance a virus could mutate to be more aggressive, if anything, RNA viruses are more likely to mutate into a weaker version."

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-to-know-about-mutation-and-covid-19#Mutations-arent-making-it-deadlier

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vortmax said:

They said it's likely that won't happen..."Though there’s the very rare chance a virus could mutate to be more aggressive, if anything, RNA viruses are more likely to mutate into a weaker version."

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-to-know-about-mutation-and-covid-19#Mutations-arent-making-it-deadlier

Its an interesting conversation.  A virus ideally wants to be infectious but not all out deadly.  Dead people don't spread viruses so when something becomes too deadly it naturally fades away.  A happy medium of making someone quite sick and infectious while not outright killing them is the happy medium a virus naturally mutates towards.  

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Its an interesting conversation.  A virus ideally wants to be infectious but not all out deadly.  Dead people don't spread viruses so when something becomes too deadly it naturally fades away.  A happy medium of making someone quite sick and infectious while not outright killing them is the happy medium a virus naturally mutates towards.  

More info about RNA virus mutation - another reason mutation isn't always bad:

hhmi.org/news/the-flu-viruss-ability-to-mutate-may-sometimes-be-its-downfall

The team also combined several genomic technologies to identify mutations that had cropped up as the virus multiplied within the cells. Cells’ responses to infection seemed to be related to the genomic quirks of the infecting virus, the team found. For example, an unmutated virus was more likely to produce lots of viral RNA and less likely to trigger the cellular alarm. Mutated viruses generally had the opposite effect.

“That’s where the virus’s high mutation rate becomes a double-edged sword,” Bloom says. “Some of its mutations inevitably foil its hiding mechanisms.” If someone is infected by mutated viruses, the immune system might more easily gain the upper hand than in someone infected by unmutated viruses, he says.

“So the initial variation might help determine how an infection proceeds and why the flu affects people so differently,” says Bloom. What’s next is to verify the finding in animals, he says, to see what happens when a full immune system is present.

• Like 1

I guess so..

LANSING, Mich. - A conservative group upset with the Michigan governor's restrictive shelter-in-place order are protesting Governor Gretchen Whitmer's Stay Home order in Lansing on Wednesday.

The Michigan Conservative Coalition is organized Operation Gridlock in Lansing today. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people drove into Lansing and have surrounded the Michigan Capitol Building to create a traffic jam - a symbolic gesture of disagreement with Gretchen Whitmer's Stay Safe, Stay Home directive.

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic