• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

Anyone notice how complicated and slow of a process it is to dish out SBA loans to small/midsize businesses and get checks to people....while it takes a few clicks of the mouse for the Fed to make Wall St bagholders whole?  Same ol' sh!t as 2008.  This is part what happens when 400 of 535 elected reps in DC are lawyers.  

And BTW...the Federal Reserve has been authorized to dish out $2.3T (yes, Trillion) in various financial rescue operations....wait for it...with NO OVERSIGHT!

This should be fun to follow.

Just now, Syrmax said:

Anyone notice how complicated and slow of a process it is to dish out SBA loans to small/midsize businesses and get checks to people....while it takes a few clicks of the mouse for the Fed to make Wall St bagholders whole?  Same ol' sh!t as 2008.  This is part what happens when 400 of 535 elected reps in DC are lawyers.  

And BTW...the Federal Reserve has been authorized to dish out $2.3T (yes, Trillion) in various financial rescue operations....wait for it...with NO OVERSIGHT!

This should be fun to follow.

I have a direct job in the facilitation of the PPP loans. It's a complete and utter disaster.

• Like 1

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

I have a direct job in the facilitation of the PPP loans. It's a complete and utter disaster.

Interesting...been hearing same from non-bank employees.  

As far as unemployment comp, they could have done what Canada apparently did, just send out $2000 checks to everyone.  Simple, fast, effective.  Here, we tasked the IRS and other gov't entities that are swamped and don't have enough people, with administering these checks.  Its too complex.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone watching this? He just showed Fauci on Jan 27th on video. The smirk on his face, I feel like I'm watching a reality TV show.

i usually do just for morbid curiousity but i just made some pork chops with applesauce.  I'd prefer to enjoy that instead of getting indigestion... ;) 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone watching this? He just showed Fauci on Jan 27th on video. The smirk on his face, I feel like I'm watching a reality TV show.

i got a text from 2 ppl saying Trump is melting down.  I had to turn it on.  What an deranged clown.   At least Sleepy Joe would lie with a smile on his face.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

i got a text from 2 ppl saying Trump is melting down.  I had to turn it on.  What an deranged clown.   At least Sleepy Joe would lie with a smile on his face.

You missed it earlier. It was one of the best press conferences ever. If you are that concerned about your media image where you have to sabotage a covid presser to show people via video all the praises from various politicians, something is wrong there.

However, I actually agree with him on most of his decisions. You don't shut down the country with zero cases and zero deaths. You don't know how it's going to play out. This reporter is asking why didn't you act sooner to lower the number of American deaths and then follows it by 10s of millions are unemployed...What kind of question is that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

You missed it earlier. It was one of the best press conferences ever. If you are that concerned about your media image where you have to sabotage a covid presser to show people via video all the praises from various politicians, something is wrong there.

However, I actually agree with him on most of his decisions. You don't shut down the country with zero cases and zero deaths. You don't know how it's going to play out. This reporter is asking why didn't you act sooner to lower the number of American deaths and then follows it by 10s of millions are unemployed...What kind of question is that?

Damn i missed that.  That sounds bizarre.  I'll have to youtube it. 

But, he's right about January.  Noone would shutdown the country with no cases.  Nobody that's sane anyway.   And he was MF'd for mostly closing off China travel in late Jan by the Dems and press (he's right about that - which the press can't stand).  However, after that... Rumplestilskin slept, more or less while CDC failed wide open.   These reporters though... are like DNC mouthpieces.  Both are embarrassments...

And oh yeah, Obama's fault.  LOL.  What's next?  Benghazi??

12 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The rich want us to go back to work quick to make them the big bucks! @Luke_Mages

What do you think about this article? Trickle down economics  just doesn't do it for me.

https://www.epi.org/productivity-pay-gap/

Proof of my point earlier today, "Back in the 60s-90s people that worked at Ford, GM, big airlines, etc... had pensions, great benefits, great retirement. Workers rights are slowly being taken away for corporate profits and executive compensation." 

I find the article misleading and this is why. 
The fact that productivity has outpaced pay By 6X is completely expected (I would have expected that number to be higher) given technological advances, especially in the time frame given. The early 80s was when automation started to become widespread and the 2000s when the internet made nearly everything easier. 
The truth is that the 11% wage increase is a direct result of increased productivity, and that the missing number in the article is how much the standard of living has increased today vs the 80s, mainly a result of the 11% increase OvER what we should have expected, which was standard inflation.  We enjoy a lifestyle now that nearly everyone in the 80s could only dream of. 

https://www.aei.org/economics/political-economy/living-standards-better-for-americans-years-ago/

30 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

The fact that productivity has outpaced pay By 6X is completely expected (I would have expected that number to be higher) given technological advances, especially in the time frame given. The early 80s was when automation started to become widespread and the 2000s when the internet made nearly everything easier. 
The truth is that the 11% wage increase is a direct result of increased productivity, and that the missing number in the article is how much the standard of living has increased today vs the 80s, mainly a result of the 11% increase OvER what we should have expected, which was standard inflation.  We enjoy a lifestyle now that nearly everyone in the 80s could only dream of. 

https://www.aei.org/economics/political-economy/living-standards-better-for-americans-years-ago/

What strikes me about the article above is it does mention family size was much larger 30 to 40 years ago when having 3 or 4+ kids was not uncommon. Today 1 or 2 is the norm and people think my wife and I are out of our minds because we have 3. That cost of living off sets the wages we earn as to the amount we spend. What is also interesting about the article is the very last paragraph. It states as a whole we are afraid of robots taking jobs. I think that's a real concern outside of a few industries. Automated telemarketers, electronic ordering at restaurants, bank-less tellers...and with this new pandemic I only see this increasing much more in the next 20 years. What used to be industrial is now electronic and were never going back.

45 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

What strikes me about the article above is it does mention family size was much larger 30 to 40 years ago when having 3 or 4+ kids was not uncommon. Today 1 or 2 is the norm and people think my wife and I are out of our minds because we have 3. That cost of living off sets the wages we earn as to the amount we spend. What is also interesting about the article is the very last paragraph. It states as a whole we are afraid of robots taking jobs. I think that's a real concern outside of a few industries. Automated telemarketers, electronic ordering at restaurants, bank-less tellers...and with this new pandemic I only see this increasing much more in the next 20 years. What used to be industrial is now electronic and were never going back.

Completely agree with the automation portion. I built my career on further automating food production. Its getting to the point now where two or three staff can run an entire plant. Give me a couple boston dynamics spots and I can do it with one person. I think eventually it will get to the point that some sort of universal income will be required, especially when freight transportation becomes completely automated.

9 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Completely agree with the automation portion. I built my career on further automating food production. Its getting to the point now where two or three staff can run an entire plant. Give me a couple boston dynamics spots and I can do it with one person. I think eventually it will get to the point that some sort of universal income will be required, especially when freight transportation becomes completely automated.

My wife has a good friend whose husband works for CSX. He has moved from buffalo, to Syracuse to now in South Carolina. He makes approximately 130k a year as an engineer for rail freight hauling. You can bet the amount of money the the rail lines can save from paying workers those wages AND the pension they receive will force the issue soones than later imo.

Just now, Thinksnow18 said:

My wife has a good friend whose husband works for CSX. He has moved from buffalo, to Syracuse to now in South Carolina. He makes approximately 130k a year as an engineer for rail freight hauling. You can bet the amount of money the the rail lines can save from paying workers those wages AND the pension they receive will force the issue soones than later imo.

Yep. Plus the insurance they have to carry will get cheaper when everything is automated. Same goes for over the road trucking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I agree.  There is a general resistance to change in any society/industry, but now that almost every society/industry in America is being forced to use as much automation as possible, eyes are being opened to the convenience and efficiency of it and there’s no going back.  Goodbye to many brick and mortar stores.  Not just because of this immediate hit to sales in the short term, but because less people will be going back into stores in the next 6-12-24 months than were going before this all started.  With that said, I do think (hope?) restaurants will boom for an extended period when they open back up, as long as that happens fairly soon and the economy isn’t totally destroyed. 

• Like 1

Unemployment is an absolute mess right now, they are getting butchered on social media lol

My buddy in Florida who has a current claim hasn't gotten paid in a month...They have actually started a petition in Florida to enact the cares act which nobody understands why it hasn't been done yet... Florida only allows 12 weeks of unemployment and it seems like they have no desire to extend, federal government allows up to 39 weeks..Floridans won't even have the chance to collect all the"stimulus" cash as that last for 16 weeks...No wonder why the state only allows 10% of people unemployed to collect lol 

Locally NY is extremely far behind as well but they aren't missing payments from active claims...

NY State has just recently implemented the 13 week federal extension..

Screenshot_20200414-091740.png

3 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

The stats don't lie. The income disparity in this country is growing by the year. Trickle down economics is a fallacy. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/08/07/for-most-us-workers-real-wages-have-barely-budged-for-decades/

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/updates/2019/11/26/u-s-household-incomes-a-50-year-perspective

The 1% exponential growth

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy-expansion-contrasts/rich-get-richer-everyone-else-not-so-much-in-record-u-s-expansion-idUSKCN1TX0HE

• Like 1

Workers rights have also plummeted throughout the last few decades. Unions dominated the marketplace where workers had some negotiation ability and someone standing up for their working rights. Now you can be fired for anything, and trust me I've seen people fired with no warnings for the most trivial things I've ever seen. You know in most countries in Europe you cannot fire someone without probable cause? We have A LOT of catching up to do. People on here make fun of Germany yet they destroyed us in this COVID outbreak. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-getting-fired-looks-like-in-different-countries-2019-7#in-the-uk-employers-can-only-fire-workers-if-there-is-a-good-reason-to-do-so-and-they-tend-to-fire-older-employees-first-1

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

8 in 10 would wait to resume activities after government lifts coronavirus restrictions: poll

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/492639-8-in-10-would-wait-to-resume-activities-after-government-lifts-restrictions

I think it's going to be walking on eggshells when things open back up. People nervous and anxious about interacting with others...and others having public outbursts because their bubble will be invaded. Emotions will run high. Mental Health was in crisis before any of this even started.

23 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Unemployment is an absolute mess right now, they are getting butchered on social media lol

My buddy in Florida who has a current claim hasn't gotten paid in a month...They have actually started a petition in Florida to enact the cares act which nobody understands why it hasn't been done yet... Florida only allows 12 weeks of unemployment and it seems like they have no desire to extend, federal government allows up to 39 weeks..Floridans won't even have the chance to collect all the"stimulus" cash as that last for 16 weeks...No wonder why the state only allows 10% of people unemployed to collect lol 

Locally NY is extremely far behind as well but they aren't missing payments from active claims...

NY State has just recently implemented the 13 week federal extension..

Screenshot_20200414-091740.png

Florida's governor has been so insanely stubborn during this entire process. I have been baffled by some of his remarks over the past month. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Workers rights have also plummeted throughout the last few decades. Unions dominated the marketplace where workers had some negotiation ability and someone standing up for their working rights. Now you can be fired for anything, and trust me I've seen people fired with no warnings for the most trivial things I've ever seen. You know in most countries in Europe you cannot fire someone without probable cause? We have A LOT of catching up to do. People on here make fun of Germany yet they destroyed us in this COVID outbreak. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-getting-fired-looks-like-in-different-countries-2019-7#in-the-uk-employers-can-only-fire-workers-if-there-is-a-good-reason-to-do-so-and-they-tend-to-fire-older-employees-first-1

In my personal experience I've never seen the union do anything but protect people who should be fired and take money out of the pockets of its employees. I've never personally heard of or seen anyone fired without due cause. I've had people make excuse after excuse as to why they were fired but the reality is typically they are completely self unaware. In my experience unions aren't needed anymore.

Thinking back to the people I've fired...

Homophobic rant.

Stealing.

Missed sales goals 3 months consecutively.

Lied on resume.

Pushed an employee.

Abused attendance policy.

Two employees due to downsizing. These hurt but both were generally unproductive.

• Like 2

So Massachusetts has joined the NE coalition.

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker’s office confirmed that he joined discussions with governors across the Northeast on a possible regional reopening plan after the coronavirus surge.

“The Baker-Polito Administration is in touch with other states in the region including New York and looks forward to participating in discussions with experts regarding the ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic," Terry MacCormack, a Baker spokesman said in a statement.

17 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Your other article stated that average income among the working class has increased at a rate 11% over the rate of inflation, these are saying its stayed about the same. In my opinion the average wage should simply keep up with inflation. As I said previously quality of life has increased dramatically in the last 50 years. 

I don't doubt that the wage gap has increased and will continue to increase. However people who work their asses off have every opportunity to work their way into the top quintile (+$230k).

The thing to remember is that if you were to take all of this extra money the "rich" are making and lets say equally disperse it among everyone that the net affect would be 0 gain in purchasing power due to increased inflation.

20 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

Just to put your mind at ease that it is possible to support Trump and bot be a bigot heres a pic of my garage. Or should I post pictures of Kanye? Or of my friends who i went to highschool with that support trump where i was the minority? Get out of here with that BS.

image.png.b78635b4761904dc2415f52e4f72fef5.png

You support a racist President, therefore by association, you are racist at worst, or an apologist and collaborator at best. Am I angry? Sure, who wouldn't be with the state of affairs with a complete ignorant idiot in the White House right now? 

https://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/12270880/donald-trump-racist-racism-history

Go ahead...explain away Trump's abject bigotry, narcissistic, and misogynistic behavior. After all, we both know there's "very fine people on both sides".  

charlottesville-torch-rally-rtr-jc-181002_hpEmbed_3_3x2_992.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, champy said:

You support a racist President, therefore by association, you are racist at worst, or an apologist and collaborator at best. Am I angry? Sure, who wouldn't be with the state of affairs with a complete ignorant idiot in the White House right now? 

https://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/12270880/donald-trump-racist-racism-history

Go ahead...explain away Trump's abject bigotry, narcissistic, and misogynistic behavior. After all, we both know there's "very fine people on both sides".  

charlottesville-torch-rally-rtr-jc-181002_hpEmbed_3_3x2_992.jpg

First...LMAO at the vox. And 90% of those citations have nothing to do with race. when is being from mexico a race? or being muslim a race?

Get out of here with this bullshit and grow up.

1 hour ago, Luke_Mages said:

In my personal experience I've never seen the union do anything but protect people who should be fired and take money out of the pockets of its employees. I've never personally heard of or seen anyone fired without due cause. I've had people make excuse after excuse as to why they were fired but the reality is typically they are completely self unaware. In my experience unions aren't needed anymore.

Thinking back to the people I've fired...

Homophobic rant.

Stealing.

Missed sales goals 3 months consecutively.

Lied on resume.

Pushed an employee.

Abused attendance policy.

Two employees due to downsizing. These hurt but both were generally unproductive.

lol...

I've seen a regional manager come in and clean house for no reason and I was a victim of that cleaning. I've also seen an employee fired for swearing a few times. I guess every individual situation is different and many times there is collateral damage. 

• Like 1

Speaking of regional managers, the one for RAC where my girl works has been a complete dick...

She overhead him on a conference call threatening to fire anyone who doesn't come in for job abandonment, you can't even call in because they have no one to cover the shift..So basically if you feel sick you have to work or worry about losing your job..

He also has been complaining that sales are not up to par lol With what's going on? And the showroom closed..He also mentioned"stealing" other competitors sales with some businesses that have close down..This is also a perfect time to make money with the $1200 stimulus check and extra$600 a week unemployment lol

Complete dick.. Someone at the Oswego store called HR and they found out who and threatened to fire them:facepalm:

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Speaking of regional managers, the one for RAC where my girl works has been a complete dick...

She overhead him on a conference call threatening to fire anyone who doesn't come in for job abandonment, you can't even call in because they have no one to cover the shift..So basically if you feel sick you have to work or worry about losing your job..

He also has been complaining that sales are not up to par lol With what's going on? And the showroom closed..He also mentioned"stealing" other competitors sales with some businesses that have close down..This is also a perfect time to make money with the $1200 stimulus check and extra$600 a week unemployment lol

Complete dick.. Someone at the Oswego store called HR and they found out who and threatened to fire them:facepalm:

Thank you for proving my point wolf. Luke must be living in a nice little cushy bubble. Us lowly folk are struggling. :lol:

• Like 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic