• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

12 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

What do you think about that Navy captain who got kicked off the ship? 

That's a tough one without knowing what else really happened.  I suspect that he wasn't getting any sense of urgency from CINCPACFLT and the chain of command above that, as the situation was rapidly worsening. I dont know who was on email distribution but apparently it wasn't the Chain of Command as you wouldn't write an email like that to them...

Based on what I know, I think he should have been reprimanded in private but not sacked, which seems to be by the sole decision by the NAVSEC.  Some of what Modly said on the 1MC was fine and aggressive.  I have no problem with that.  What I really really objected to was Modly going out to CVN-71 and dressing down the crew, trying to scold and guilt them, and insulting the Captain. It should have been a very different speech, instead it sounded like an azzhole being an azzhole. That was unacceptable and he rightly resigned. 

I've been dressed down as part of a submarine crew by our CO but it was pretty much deserved.  But we weren't insulted. That's sh!t leadership.   

• Like 2

Pfizer has identified a lead drug to treat the coronavirus, the company’s chief scientific officer, Dr. Mikael Dolsten, said Thursday. 

The possible antiviral, “if successful, would be given early in the disease process, when patients are admitted to the hospital,” Dolsten told CNBC’s Meg Tirrell. 

Dolsten said the potential treatment has so far shown positive signs in preclinical work. The drug seeks to “counter the expansion of the virus,” Dolsten said on “Power Lunch.” 

Pfizer had initially planned to enter clinical trials for a COVID-19 drug by the end of the year, according to Dolsten. Now, it hopes to start those trials in the third quarter, meaning “just a few months from today,” he said. 

Pfizer also is working on the development of a COVID-19 vaccine alongside German firm BioNTech. The two companies, which announced their partnership last month, remain on track enter human trials by the end of April, Dolsten said. 

He said the companies now expect — if the vaccine is successful and regulatory approval is granted — to be able to “supply millions of vaccine doses by the end of 2020.”

“This is much faster than the original prediction of 18 months,” Dolsten said. “It’s almost half the time.” 

49 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I know this happened in Italy for awhile and now in the US too...I don't think this happens even in the worse flu seasons. 

Coronavirus is now the leading cause of death in America

https://nypost.com/2020/04/10/coronavirus-is-now-the-leading-cause-of-death-in-america/

It's a temporary blip (hopefully) but...what the "virus deniers" erroneously try to compare are total covid-19 deaths  to seasonal flu. These are all happening in a matter of weeks, with protective measures largely in place whereas seasonal flu death numbers are spread out over a year, with virtually no distancing measures in place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

It's a temporary blip (hopefully) but...what the "virus deniers" erroneously try to compare are total covid-19 deaths  to seasonal flu. These are all happening in a matter of weeks, with protective measures largely in place whereas seasonal flu death numbers are spread out over a year, with virtually no distancing measures in place.

And a vaccine. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

And this, this is old graph, it’s way higher now. 

31056339-A99D-4649-97AC-E293AB434DE4.jpeg

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The biggest misconception of our democracy is that we actually have freedom and control our viewpoints with our right to vote. The 1% control the world and it's impossible to stop them. 

Any examples of something that you’d like to see changed that won’t be because of the power 1% yield over govt policy? 

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Coronavirus 'harms the brain and nervous system of HALF of severely ill patients and a third of all cases' - causing symptoms such as stumbling, slurred speech and seizures

Coronavirus harms the brain and nervous system of half of severely ill patients, a study on patients with COVID-19 in the Chinese city of Wuhan has found.

Such impacts — which appear in a third of patients overall — lead to symptoms including headaches, stumbling, slurred speech, nerve pain and seizures.

The study — the first to characterise the brain problems associated with coronavirus infection — suggest that these symptoms could indicate patients at a higher risk.

In the study, neurologist Bo Hu of the Huazhong University of Science and Technology and colleagues analysed 214 patients with COVID-19 from Wuhan, China, the city where the outbreak emerged, between mid-January and mid-February.

The patients were all treated in one of three dedicated special care centres in the university's Union Hospital.

The experts sorted neurological symptoms into one of three categories, the first of which was central nervous system manifestations — including dizziness, headache, impaired consciousness, acute cerebrovascular disease, ataxia and seizure.

The other categories were peripheral nervous system manifestations (taste impairment, smell impairment, vision impairment and nerve pain) and skeletal muscular injury manifestations.

Overall, 78 patients (36.4 per cent) had neurologic manifestations,' the researchers wrote in their paper.

'Compared with patients with non-severe infection, patients with severe infection were older, had more underlying disorders, especially hypertension, and showed fewer typical symptoms of COVID-19, such as fever and cough,' they added.

'Patients with more severe infection had neurologic manifestations, such as acute cerebrovascular diseases (5 vs 1), impaired consciousness (13 vs 3) and skeletal muscle injury (17 vs 6).'

During the epidemic period of COVID-19, when seeing patients with neurologic manifestations, clinicians should suspect severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection as a differential diagnosis,' the researchers said.

This, they added, will avoid delayed diagnosis or misdiagnosis and losing the chance to treat [the patients] and prevent further transmission.'

I would put money on oxygen deprivation, not the virus attacking brain cells as the root cause. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Any examples of something that you’d like to see changed that won’t be because of the power 1% yield over govt policy? 

Ending Bailouts for billionaires and Hedge funds, along with companies that are in over their heads with debt due to ill advised borrowing to do stock buybacks might be a reasonable place to start...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Removing super pacs and private interest involvement in elections would be a big start and what max said

I agree with this, just keep in mind that it would mean only Billionaires would have any success running for national office unless someone successfully crowdsourced their campaign. Bernie has been the best at that and he was woefully under funded. So necessary evil maybe?

I don’t approve of the stock buybacks that occurred after the 09 bailouts, but I do see the need for bailing out some industries. For example, there would have been an economic collapse if you weren’t able to pull your money out of a bank or if your homeowners insurer couldn’t cover a claim. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luke_Mages said:

I agree with this, just keep in mind that it would mean only Billionaires would have any success running for national office unless someone successfully crowdsourced their campaign. Bernie has been the best at that and he was woefully under funded. So necessary evil maybe?

I don’t approve of the stock buybacks that occurred after the 09 bailouts, but I do see the need for bailing out some industries. For example, there would have been an economic collapse if you weren’t able to pull your money out of a bank or if your homeowners insurer couldn’t cover a claim. 

Easy solution. Allow a designated amount of public funds be available to those running. Or have it all done voluntarily. Don’t let any private money come into the equation. The current process of running for president is a joke anyways. The process takes a year + traveling all over the country holding unnecessary rally’s and costing millions of dollars on waste. It’s unnecessary. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Easy solution. Allow a designated amount of public funds be available to those running. Or have it all done voluntarily. Don’t let any private money come into the equation. The current process of running for president is a joke anyways. The process takes a year + traveling all over the country holding unnecessary rally’s and costing millions of dollars on waste. It’s unnecessary. 

Agree, the current system is based on the old days, where travel and technology, communication, was more limited, even horse and buggy.  A campaign closer to what parliamentary systems have, like the UK,  would be better.  Of course, the current system mainly benefits 2 groups, the two major political parties...and the media...who reap a lot of sales through ad spending.  Endless campaigns keep the media spotlight on true political nonsense instead of anything of substance.

Edit: of course I forgot to mention the other main beneficiary of the current campaign system...Special Interest Groups and the like. Although they would never be substantially relegated unless you went to full public campaign financing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Who gets to run? And what percentage is allocated to each person?

not saying the systems perfect, but it’s better than most. If another country was a better place to live than here I’d move there. Every country I’ve ever worked in was falling over themselves to hire educated Americans. 

18 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

not saying the systems perfect, but it’s better than most. If another country was a better place to live than here I’d move there. Every country I’ve ever worked in was falling over themselves to hire educated Americans. 

Anyone that wants to run gets to run. That initial process would not change. It would be a tiered payment structure, the farther they get in the process the more money they receive. 20 candidates (1 million), 10 candidates left (5 million), 5 candidates (15 million), 2 candidates (20 million) Something like that. They could utilize an unlimited number of volunteers. The stronger the candidate, the more volunteers they would get. 

48 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

That has nothing to do with our election system that is wagging the dog.

Despite the glitches, Thursday’s figures suggest the scale of the problem. In a single week, the pandemic wiped out a year and a half of job gains. The past two weeks’ claims alone would be enough to push the unemployment rate up to 5.7 percent from 3.5 percent in February — a half-century low that now seems like ancient history.

The worst could be yet to come. Mr. Herzon of IHS Markit said he expected a similarly large number next Thursday, when the Labor Department releases its report on new claims filed this week.

Some forecasters think the unemployment rate could hit 10 percent this summer, which would equal the highest level from the last recession more than a decade ago. Back then, it took nearly two years for the jobless rate to reach that height

55 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone that wants to run gets to run. That initial process would not change. It would be a tiered payment structure, the farther they get in the process the more money they receive. 20 candidates (1 million), 10 candidates left (5 million), 5 candidates (15 million), 2 candidates (20 million) Something like that. They could utilize an unlimited number of volunteers. The stronger the candidate, the more volunteers they would get. 

You’d have thousands of candidates initially...

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Just got the test back

Negative 

That doesn't mean I still can't get it. Have to be careful.

10 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

My mom also tested negative

Good news! Although, I feel like these successes are temporary as many of us are going to be exposed to this at some point over the next months/year, etc...

But, there will be advancements in studying it and treating it better as time goes on as well.

Take care of yourself. :) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

How does the current process get rid of thousands of candidates? The initial process wouldn’t change at all and it wouldn’t need to to accomplish what I’ve stated. 

The current process gets rid of them because it’s unrealistic for them to run. No one is simply handing them a pile of money to run and be on a level playing field with thousands of other unqualified candidates. 

27 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

The current process gets rid of them because it’s unrealistic for them to run. No one is simply handing them a pile of money to run and be on a level playing field with thousands of other unqualified candidates. 

Well we wouldn’t hand them any money until they got to the process of being considered a valid serious candidate. As I already started nothing needs to change... most super pacs are given later on in the election process. A large private institution or independent billionaire doesn’t want to give anyone money until they have validity and lots of support. They would be throwing money out the window. 

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic