• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

Something I find interesting in those maps is that the concentration of air pollutants in parts of Upstate NY (along Lake shorelines and scattered around the 'Dacks) is actually a bit higher this year than the average of those other years. Perhaps if those years were taken individually we could have an even better comparison, as it probably would look similar to a couple of those years.

Maybe it's an increase from people going to their summer homes and all the parks? I am intrigued as to what the causes are of these slight increases.

This is crazy....Do they not have enough protective gear??

More than 175 health-care workers have virus

Infections at Kaleida, ECMC and Catholic Health amount to 10% of total cases in Erie and Niagara counties

https://www.investigativepost.org/2020/04/10/more-than-125-health-care-workers-have-virus/?fbclid=IwAR3PUUOPVf3r7whUOQOIfQsI097yFW5CEdwE2Mo4r2-33hiZ-hma25Zir9A

Whewie! It's like Oprah..."You get money! You get money! Everyone gets MONAAAAAY!"

I am not going to get into the debate of who gets or 'deserves" money (Although our essential employees are top of that list)....but all this money is coming from one place and going to another. Money is never free. The more and more I read/hear about increasing amounts of money being passed out, the more I cringe on the inside.

It's going to be such a tight time of being careful with money...but at the same time we need it to keep flowing...not sit on it.

• Haha 1

This isnt good at all

Recovered coronavirus patients test positive again in blow to immunity hopes

South Korea reported on Friday that 91 recovered coronavirus patients have tested positive for the disease again, raising questions over health experts' understanding of the pandemic

https://news.yahoo.com/recovered-coronavirus-patients-test-positive-161747102.html

8 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

This isnt good at all

Recovered coronavirus patients test positive again in blow to immunity hopes

South Korea reported on Friday that 91 recovered coronavirus patients have tested positive for the disease again, raising questions over health experts' understanding of the pandemic

https://news.yahoo.com/recovered-coronavirus-patients-test-positive-161747102.html

I have been reading some things on that this past week. It could definitely hamper any hopes of ending the lockdown "early."

Just now, MJO812 said:

CBS 2 showed some people getting the virus a 2nd time.

My wife and I were having a discussion back in March about whether this would stay in the cells and reactivate. I know they had been saying that this mutates slowly, but we were also wondering about the possibility of a mutation and getting infected again...even if it's just a slight change. So many questions: Reactivation? Reinfection? Lack of immunity?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

One of our local healthcare providers actually gave all patient facing hourly staff working with covid patients a $10/hr hazard pay increase, which will work out to more than $25k a year with OT. 

I can see that coming from the company itself but the government paying 25k to everyone who is still working is kind of crazy. Who is included and who is not? Me and you are still working. I still directly deal with customers each day. Our phones have been off the hook in regards to this PPP program (payroll protection program). It seems the government dedicated 350 million to it and almost all the money is gone already. There is disconnect between the government and the big banks in regards to how this gets distributed. Are we going to pay the bagger at the grocery store a $25k bonus? If so, I'm going to go apply at Tops tonight. 

The government is trying to give incentive to actually work lol No one is getting off unemployment to work for 11.80 an hour lol 

Many retailers are hiring right now...But no one is applying lol

It's also 13 an hour up to 25k for the year but the majority of retail is Part time..Tops is union, they give like 16-24 hours a week, at least around here..

The stimulus package is giving unemployment recipients 10k over 4 months, 30k annual...It's really not that crazy lol

Under the proposed “Heroes Fund,” frontline workers from hospital staff and grocery store clerks to transit workers and truck drivers would be eligible for a premium pay raise of up to $25,000, or about $13 per hour for medium wage workers, POLITICO reports.

Not every state has started handing out the extra stimulus checks, actually most haven't lol

NY was the first state to roll it out... Some states like Florida don't even have the federal funding yet...

Other delays, at least for the $600 in extra weekly benefits as part of the federal stimulus package known as the CARES Act, have been out of the state’s hands. That money hasn’t been given to Florida or other states yet to even administer.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I can see that coming from the company itself but the government paying 25k to everyone who is still working is kind of crazy. Who is included and who is not? Me and you are still working. I still directly deal with customers each day. Our phones have been off the hook in regards to this PPP program (payroll protection program). It seems the government dedicated 350 million to it and almost all the money is gone already. There is disconnect between the government and the big banks in regards to how this gets distributed. Are we going to pay the bagger at the grocery store a $25k bonus? If so, I'm going to go apply at Tops tonight. 

Ahh crap you’re right. I saw nurses in the headline and was just thinking medical field only. Yea I think that’s overkill. While I’d love $50k for my wife and I were basically just printing money at this point. We won’t need toilet paper, just some nice worn in greenbacks lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a tool the Florida governor is ..

I guess students will teach themselves..

He's also wrong that no one under the age of 25 had died..

If it’s safe, we want kids to be in school. ... Even if it’s for a couple of weeks, we think there would be value in that," he continued.

CNN reported that DeSantis added that he didn't think anyone under 25 had died of the virus.

"This particular pandemic is one where, I don't think nationwide there's been a single fatality under 25. For whatever reason it just doesn't seem to threaten, you know, kids," DeSantis said.

"And we lose in Florida between five and 10 kids a year for the flu. This one, for whatever reason, much more dangerous if you're 65 and plus than the flu, no doubt about that. If you're younger, it just hasn't had an impact, so that should factor into how we're viewing this. I think the data on that has been 100 percent consistent," he continued. "I've not seen any deviation on that."

An investigation by The Washington Post of national cases found nine instances in which COVID-19 was blamed for the deaths of people under the age of 20.

The risk appears to rise with every decade of age,” the Post reported on Wednesday, citing 45 deaths among people in their 20s, at least 190 deaths among people in their 30s and at least 413 deaths among people in their 40s.

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic