• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

9 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

With the exception of the troopers id say all of those positions are underpaid. I give a lot of credit to people willing to put their lives at risk everyday to make a living. So i'm sure that some of them just want the benefits but for most Id say its more about giving back. I personally know that no one is making it through the trooper academy just to collect a paycheck, its literally two months of hell.

There are more applicants to the jobs I posted then any other job in New York State and for good reason. As someone who deals with retirement, the above positions have a better retirement then 99% of New York State private employees do. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

There are most applicants to the jobs i posted then any other job in New York State and for good reason. As someone who deals with retirement, the above positions have a better retirement then 99% of New York State private employees do. 

I believe you, I just have no issue in the portion of my taxes that go to their salaries and retirement. Outside of the troopers typically theyre underpaid in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I believe you, I just have no issue in the portion of my taxes that go to their salaries and retirement. Outside of the troopers typically their underpaid in my opinion. 

You should see these pensions man. I calculated it many times before. As both of us work in private industrys I'm assuming we would have to save in our 401k 1.4-1.7+ million to get what these officers get in their pensions by the time we retire to match what they get. It's unrealistic. 60-100k a year in the form of a pension for life is just insanity. Some of these guys are retiring in their early 40s. They collect this for 30-50 years...It's INSANE

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

You should see these pensions man. I calculated it many times before. As both of us work in private industrys I'm assuming we would have to save in our 401k 1.4-1.7+ million to get what these officers get in their pensions by the time we retire to match what they get. It's unrealistic. 60-100k a year in the form of a pension for life is just insanity. Some of these guys are retiring in their early 40s. They collect this for 30-50 years...

I get it, but one of my best friends from High School is a trooper and while we both make about the same money I wouldn’t trade jobs in a million years. Everyday he goes to work where just about everyone you come into contact with hates you or wants to hurt you. His first week on the job he saved a guy with narcan only for the guy to attack him when he came to because his high was ruined. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I get it, but one of my best friends from High School is a trooper and while we both make about the same money I wouldn’t trade jobs in a million years. Everyday he goes to work where just about everyone you come into contact with hates you or wants to hurt you. His first week on the job he saved a guy with narcan only for the guy to attack him when he came to because his high was ruined. 

I have 4-5 friends who are troopers, quite a few cop friends and dozens of CO friends. The jobs are risky and suck quite often. I almost went the route of a county cop and took the test but got promoted within my company so backed out of it. I still wonder if I should go that route. COs jobs are really tough, but I have one who works 90 days a year because he swaps shifts all the time. That is a pretty cool benefit. Even though you make similar salaries. You'll never come close to the time off, benefits, and pension they get. Your friend will be retired in 5-10 years making 100k a year in a pension/deferred comp with full benefits. 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I have 4-5 friends who are troopers, quite a few cop friends and dozens of CO friends. The jobs are risky and suck quite often. Even though you make similar salaries. You'll never come close to the time off, benefits, and pension they get. You're friend will be retired in 5-10 years making 100k a year in a pension with full benefits. 

Yep, still wouldnt trade 20 years of my life for that. Especially not a CO. I wouldn’t mind firefighting but only cause I’d be able to spend 6 hours a day pushing weight lol

I'm sure we will transition to something like Iceland has. Social gatherings of 20 or more people would still include restaurants, gyms, sporting events, etc... Those will probably be the last places to open up. 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/iceland-finds-that-half-its-citizens-with-coronavirus-have-shown-no-symptoms-2020-04-10

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

There is a lot he could have said differently. He is anti science, that's a major problem. He's more worried about 30k coal jobs, then 650k postal workers jobs. He states that somehow mail in voting would be the "end" of the Republican party. 

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-fauci-says-us-could-184722587.html

Have you heard anything about the post office? 

@WesterlyWx

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-rejects-bailout-that-included-aid-to-usps-report-says-2020-4

I actually left the post office. Place is a tire fire. My buddy who works there I talked to today said 1/3 of the employees are now out either sick,quarantining, or having to stay home with their kids. I’m going back to my old job so I’ll be working right next to you in Hamburg again lol. Post office will be closed by June without a huge bailout. The original stimulus plan passed by the senate had a 25 billion in bailout $$, the one that passed after going through the house only includes a 10 billion dollar loan, which wouldn’t even cover their total debt now which is 11 billion. They’ve had many bailouts before but this one is needed bad. Never has the mail volume been lighter than during this pandemic. Without it they won’t have the money to pay anyone by June. 

They’re a failing business and I’m glad to be outta there, especially when they can show such disregard to people’s health and safety as a government agency. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

I actually left the post office. Place is a tire fire. My buddy who works there I talked to today said 1/3 of the employees are now out either sick,quarantining, or having to stay home with their kids. I’m going back to my old job so I’ll be working right next to you in Hamburg again lol. Post office will be closed by June without a huge bailout. The original stimulus plan passed by the senate had a 25 billion in bailout $$, the one that passed after going through the house only includes a 10 billion dollar loan, which wouldn’t even cover their total debt now which is 11 billion. They’ve had many bailouts before but this one is needed bad. Never has the mail volume been lighter than during this pandemic. Without it they won’t have the money to pay anyone by June. 

They’re a failing business and I’m glad to be outta there, especially when they can show such disregard to people’s health and safety as a government agency. 

What about those already retired from there that receive pensions, or those about to retire? Are they screwed?

4 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Trying to stir the pot? Lol

Declaration of independence: Cuomo and five Dem governors break from Trump and launch 'coronavirus council' to coordinate reopening along I-95 'Covid corridor' in a direct challenge to the president's authority

Good, as the States should....

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Trying to stir the pot? Lol

Declaration of independence: Cuomo and five Dem governors break from Trump and launch 'coronavirus council' to coordinate reopening along I-95 'Covid corridor' in a direct challenge to the president's authority

I'm sorry but may 1 isnt the ideal time to open. 

• Like 1

Both parties suck. Plain and simple. Americans love to be on the extremes of the spectrum. It's either, "I want the government to give me everything" or "I am FREE to do whatever I want."

Give me a break.

Life needs a balance of things. Too much republican rule or too much democratic rule is too much of one thing. Hence why our country often doesn't have one party ruling in all parts (senate, House, SCOTUS, etc...)

Since Day 1 of Trump's election, the democrats have been non-stop crying and no matter what Trump does, it's a bunch of belly-aching. He has NO TACT whatsoever and I think he is a pompous jerk, but he is the President that was elected. The Republicans have taken the other side of "we love Trump because he pisses off the democrats and doesn't let them get their own way."

Way to run a great political system, America. All your bantering back and forth does NOTHING to help our country, guys. Nothing. You don't want Trump to be our President? Well how about both parties produce a VALID candidate to run for president? What a joke this next election is going to be.

These, right here, are exact reasons of why I am a registered Independent. (Yeah, one of those people that the extremists in both parties label as 'weak' because I choose not to be pompous and actually look at different perspectives in politics.)

We have had some great potential moderate candidates run over the years, but our country is so committed to the 2 party system that they never stand a chance. You want some change in this country? Stop being so stubbornly committed to one side of the spectrum...because odds are the most success lies somewhere in the middle.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Both parties suck. Plain and simple. Americans love to be on the extremes of the spectrum. It's either, "I want the government to give me everything" or "I am FREE to do whatever I want."

Give me a break.

Life needs a balance of things. Too much republican rule or too much democratic rule is too much of one thing. Hence why our country often doesn't have one party ruling in all parts (senate, House, SCOTUS, etc...)

Since Day 1 of Trump's election, the democrats have been non-stop crying and no matter what Trump does, it's a bunch of belly-aching. He is has NO TACT whatsoever and I think he is a pompous jerk, but he is the President that was elected. The Republicans have taken the other side of "we love Trump because he pisses off the democrats and doesn't let them get their own way."

Way to run a great political system, America. All your bantering back and forth does NOTHING to help our country, guys. Nothing. You don't want Trump to be our President? Well how about both parties produce a VALID candidate to run for president? What a joke this next election is going to be.

These, right here, are exact reasons of why I am a registered Independent. (Yeah, one of those people that the extremists in both parties label as 'weak' because I choose to not to be pompous and actually look at different perspectives in politics.)

We have had some great potential moderate candidates run over the years, but our country is so committed to the 2 party system that they never stand a chance. You want some change in this country? Start being so stubbornly committed to one side of the spectrum...because odds are the most success lies somewhere in the middle.

I am a registered independent as well. The 2 party system is inherently flawed but it's all we've got. We need to get rid of the 2 party system, super pacs, and the electoral college. Only then will you have a true democracy in which every vote is 100% equal across the entire country.

• Thanks 1

The rich want us to go back to work quick to make them the big bucks! @Luke_Mages

What do you think about this article? Trickle down economics  just doesn't do it for me.

https://www.epi.org/productivity-pay-gap/

Proof of my point earlier today, "Back in the 60s-90s people that worked at Ford, GM, big airlines, etc... had pensions, great benefits, great retirement. Workers rights are slowly being taken away for corporate profits and executive compensation." 

8 hours ago, MJO812 said:

CDC study now warns that the virus might be on our sneakers and spreads 13 feet  away.

Took CDC months to "announce" that wearing a mask just might be effective even if your not sick.  Which 4th graders knew intrinsically.  Now CDC wants us all acting like we are entering/exiting a Level 4 Virology lab.  This is after the CDC home-brewed test failure fiasco.  If Rumplestilskin wanted to fire anyone, seems like some fertile ground there...its not like they can be that much more f*cked up...

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic