• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

6 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

A really callous and disgusting approach....but I can't say I'm surprised.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/16/trump-appointee-demanded-herd-immunity-strategy-446408

I’ve been advocating this same approach from the beginning, even saying I’d volunteer to be infected. Controversial maybe, but not callous or disgusting. If you’re young and healthy you have so many things that are statistically more likely to kill or harm you. 

2 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

I’ve been advocating this same approach from the beginning, even saying I’d volunteer to be infected. Controversial maybe, but not callous or disgusting. If you’re young and healthy you have so many things that are statistically more likely to kill or harm you. 

I’m aware you don’t value life and specially the lives of others. We’ve been down this road before. Thankfully not everyone thinks like you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I’m aware you don’t value life and specially the lives of others. We’ve been down this road before. Thankfully not everyone thinks like you. 

Even if you survive, the lingering effects could create a separate public health crisis for years to come.  Who knows how long the complications will last for some survivors?  Avoid getting this damn thing if at all possible.

On 12/15/2020 at 1:53 PM, Thinksnow18 said:

First I’m happy to hear your daughter feels better and I have had similar symptoms your wife has but much less extreme luckily. While our positive Covid daughter stayed home the 4 of us went to NCCC to get our lobotomies...I’m certain that probe went into my throat...

Did you guys get any results back yet?  I was surprised to get mine back this morning already and was negative.  Went to the state site downtown Tuesday afternoon and had it back Thursday morning.  But oddly my wife who went to the same site Tuesday morning still has not received any result.  We went like right at the earliest possible day threshold, so could have been too soon.  Getting tested again tomorrow, see if anything changes.  Also a bit odd I still have yet to be contacted by the doh for my daughters positive test on Monday morning.  

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 9:52 PM, brentrich said:

Wow almost 3500 deaths today. I can't image what it will look like in January. Do you think we will see peak of 5-6k+ death per day? 

Probably more like 5-6k deaths per minute once it peaks, according to the latest modeling.  But, the good news is that even at that rate it'll take about a year to nom nom through most of the earth's population.  So unless you're planning on living more than a year, I wouldn't get too fired up about it.

• Haha 1

On 12/16/2020 at 8:53 AM, BuffaloWeather said:

Check my post above, seems moderna vaccine does.

On 12/16/2020 at 8:51 AM, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

I’ve been wondering this too.  Does the vaccine give you permanent immunity?  Look at the flu shot, you need one every year as the dominant strain keeps changing.  We’re just passing year one on corona.  Isn’t it possible the strain could change just enough to keep circulating and make the vaccine given now have no effect?  As far as natural antibodies, I thought they only stay in the body for roughly 6 months.  Have heard of people who got in March/April being reinfected in the fall.  I know there is talk about the “T cells” (think that’s what there called) remembering the virus code and giving the body a leg up on better fighting the virus, but not the same as having an antibody load already present.  

Either 2 things will happen, I think. 1) Even though coronaviruses are RNA viruses, they are the slowest at mutating. This likely means the vaccine will work for years to come and hopfully wipe it out eventually. 2) C19 mutates enough to change the properties of the spike protein rendering the current vaccine ineffective. Developers will create a new vaccine and likely add it to the annual flu vaccines.

...and still no second stimulus package. Looks like we’re going to have a government shutdown in the middle of a pandemic also. Our “leaders” are a disgrace. Millions of Americans on financial life support and these clowns haven’t missed a single paycheck during this entire crisis...but they can’t get it together in order to help average Americans. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/18/government-shutdown-looms-as-congress-crafts-coronavirus-stimulus-bill.html

• Like 1

A week ago I mentioned the new strain of Covid-19 found in Wales and Great Britain.       It was quiet till today.       Now all of Europe must isolate in place as this strain is making 170 people sick for every 100 with the existing strains.        It supposedly is not more deadly.      Even if correct, by replacing every 100 current hospitalized patients with 170, care per person will drop and more will die with time.

Experts claim the vaccine will still work on this strain,  but I think that is a ruse to avoid panic.        I do not believe it will work on the existing strains!         How long does the vaccine protect you is unknown-if it does work.

Here is the thing with this RNA virus.        It checks every copy it makes of itself and can correct almost all errors, unlike other coronaviruses.       This is like sending digital data over a noisy channel, but mathematically being able to reclaim a lot of the loss.          So this results in very few mutations------but expect the ones that leak through to be doozies.

2 hours ago, CIK62 said:

A week ago I mentioned the new strain of Covid-19 found in Wales and Great Britain.       It was quiet till today.       Now all of Europe must isolate in place as this strain is making 170 people sick for every 100 with the existing strains.        It supposedly is not more deadly.      Even if correct, by replacing every 100 current hospitalized patients with 170, care per person will drop and more will die with time.

Experts claim the vaccine will still work on this strain,  but I think that is a ruse to avoid panic.        I do not believe it will work on the existing strains!         How long does the vaccine protect you is unknown-if it does work.

Here is the thing with this RNA virus.        It checks every copy it makes of itself and can correct almost all errors, unlike other coronaviruses.       This is like sending digital data over a noisy channel, but mathematically being able to reclaim a lot of the loss.          So this results in very few mutations------but expect the ones that leak through to be doozies.

Your last paragraph just isn't consistent with the known mutations of C19. Read this to better understand how it compares to other RNA viruses. 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-to-know-about-mutation-and-covid-19#What-this-means-for-a-vaccine

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vortmax said:

Your last paragraph just isn't consistent with the known mutations of C19. Read this to better understand how it compares to other RNA viruses. 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-to-know-about-mutation-and-covid-19#What-this-means-for-a-vaccine

That article was written in June also. Seems like they knew that the potential to mutate was there, so I’m thinking the vaccine was developed with that possibility in mind. I certainly wouldn’t panic at this juncture.

1 hour ago, gmendevils8204 said:

That article was written in June also. Seems like they knew that the potential to mutate was there, so I’m thinking the vaccine was developed with that possibility in mind. I certainly wouldn’t panic at this juncture.

Was written in June, however the principle that Coronaviruses don't mutate rapidly and recklessly like influenza holds true (none of C19 mutations will be "doozies"). Virologists actually compare C19 to the mumps which has had the same effective vaccine for 45 years. This likely means the current C19 vaccines will work just fine for this new mutation.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Monday that the government would begin to send out $600 checks to millions of Americans next week.

“People are going to see this money the beginning of next week,” Mnuchin said, in an interview on CNBC.

I'll take it but that won't even cover a month's rent/mortgage payment for most people.  At least the eviction moratorium was extended for another few months.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 7:52 PM, CIK62 said:

So just to summarize your post...you consider yourself smarter and more informed than the thousands of scientists and doctors that created this vaccine, is that correct?  If that isnt the case, you feel as if this is some huge covert conspiracy theory, of which you are the only person to uncover this, is that correct?  Either way we spin it, you are apparently a foremost virus expert or the greatest detective of our time.  Get over yourself.  

Also, you personify the viruses behavior as if its a thinking sentient creature hell bent on the destruction of the human race.  It's not checking its copies, its not scanning its makeup.  It's a ****ing primitive virus mutating and surviving at a base level.  Stop glorifying it.

On 12/21/2020 at 9:25 PM, DeltaT13 said:

So just to summarize your post...you consider yourself smarter and more informed than the thousands of scientists and doctors that created this vaccine, is that correct?  If that isnt the case, you feel as if this is some huge covert conspiracy theory, of which you are the only person to uncover this, is that correct?  Either way we spin it, you are apparently a foremost virus expert or the greatest detective of our time.  Get over yourself.  

Also, you personify the viruses behavior as if its a thinking sentient creature hell bent on the destruction of the human race.  It's not checking its copies, its not scanning its makeup.  It's a ****ing primitive virus mutating and surviving at a base level.  Stop glorifying it.

The reason this virus has few mutations is because it is checking on itself.       The seasonal flu just mutates and some combinations are more viable than others and become the dominant strain the next season.       If virologists guess which part of the virus has changed and will appear next, they will be successful next season.       The 45 year track record for the seasonal flu vaccines is dismal.        Notice there is little seasonal flu this year........because most people are wearing masks/separating--- the vaccine is garbage.        We have taken 10 months to get to 18M CV19 cases, but seasonal flu is 30M in just 6 months on average.       Ever see a CNN counter for this?

Thank you for your comment.      Try this one:

No one has answered how China can have a total of 87,000 cases with 4.700 dead in one full year of this.          Based on the  US fiasco-- these numbers would be 75,000,000 cases and 1,600,000 dead for China.       Don't just say they are lying w/o explaining why we are allowing them to do so by factors in the 100's of times too low..         Do they have a vaccine?, or is it  just masks/separation enforcement.     These numbers are better than we are going to do even if the vaccine does work.          You know this 75M is curiously close to a vaccine that is 95% effective over a year of free exposure (no masks/separation) in a country the size of China   ie.      (.05)(1.4^9) . 

+244,311
Deaths
+4,159
Recovered
+147,947         Look at today's one day assessment as of 11pm.      We are wiping out one year's worth of China cases in just 8 hours, and their total deaths in just over one day.

House Democrats responded to President Trump's call to increase stimulus payments to $2,000 per adult by saying they're ready to bring the measure to the floor by "unanimous consent" this week.

Driving the news: Trump indicated in a video Tuesday evening that he won't sign the $900 billion coronavirus relief bill and $1.4 trillion government funding measure passed by Congress if it's not amended to increase stimulus payments.

• Trump's Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, who was involved in negotiating the bill, said Monday that the $600 checks passed by Congress would go out next week.
  • But Trump said he's asking Congress to send him an amended bill, calling on lawmakers to "increase the ridiculously low" amount Americans would receive for COVID relief to $2,000 per adult or $4,000 for a couple, and "get rid of wasteful and unnecessary items" in the spending bill.

Well the Federal Deficit (52 straight years of GAPP Deficits) for the calendar year will be  5 Trillion now, with this extra ketchup, mustard, tobasco sauce, ranch dressings.................................ad infinitum.

So we all get 1,200 + 2,000 or $3,200 but the Feds put each American on the chopping block for another $15,384, as our share of the new total National Debt when every other deficit spending item is included as it normally would have been anyway.        The annual deficit was 1.1T before any of us even heard of the Corona Virus.

Watch the Dollar Index folks and not the engorged stock market's over stretched manly shaft,  that is about to explode into space.         When that  dollar index gets near 70 (currently 90) our DOLLAR WILL BE  REPUDIATED and we will be forced to live Below Our Means!         

7 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Well the Federal Deficit (52 straight years of GAPP Deficits) for the calendar year will be  5 Trillion now, with this extra ketchup, mustard, tobasco sauce, ranch dressings.................................ad infinitum.

So we all get 1,200 + 2,000 or $3,200 but the Feds put each American on the chopping block for another $15,384, as our share of the new total National Debt when every other deficit spending item is included as it normally would have been anyway.        The annual deficit was 1.1T before any of us even heard of the Corona Virus.

Watch the Dollar Index folks and not the engorged stock market's over stretched manly shaft,  that is about to explode into space.         When that  dollar index gets near 70 (currently 90) our DOLLAR WILL BE  REPUDIATED and we will be forced to live Below Our Means!         

national debt hasn't meant anything for awhile. Tesla doesn't show profits yet went from $65 dollars a share to over $600, economic policies in the past do not determine the future. Nothing makes sense anymore. Embrace it. 

2 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

Cuomo announced that up to 6700 fans will be allowed to attend the Bills home playoff game. Every fan will be required to take a Covid test and will only be allowed in if the test is negative. After the game contact tracing will be done. 

Stupid move by Cuomo since NY cases/deaths are rising. 

Just found out the other day that one of good friends from college is officially a "Covid Long hauler" with heart issues stemming from her infection she got earlier this month. She was a moderate case with O2 sats dipping to 89/90 and had to use a proning technique that her uncle taught her to breathe better. She's over the lung issues for the most part. She still gets winded on longer walks and enhanced physical activity. Her heart is under-going anomalous palpitations, so she saw a cardiologist and they did a weeklong test with a portable EKG. She has classic PVC episodes now, and are textbook for people with heart problems that are induced by Covid. She is a healthy 27 year old who ran every other day since I've known her. No other health issues outside allergies in the spring. She got it an outdoor wedding end of November. Her husband got it too, but he was fine. He's O neg blood type and she's A+. The blood type and impact from Covid definitely holds some weight. It's crazy. Just be careful to all in here. You just never know. Light at the end of the tunnel is visible thankfully. Screw 2020  

• Sad 2

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic