• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    samithdfm
    Newest Member
    samithdfm

Coronavirus

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

It's an erie county rule not a bills rule. 

I think it eventually gets changed to negative test/vaccine. The uprising has been insane today. I'd say about 50% of my friends are not getting the vaccine and are pretty adamant on it. I do respect their individual freedom. I can see both sides to this.

• Like 1

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

I think it eventually gets changed to negative test/vaccine. The uprising has been insane today. I'd say about 50% of my friends are not getting the vaccine and are pretty adamant on it. I do respect their individual freedom. I can see both sides to this.

You live in hamburg. I'm not terribly surprised lol. 

• Haha 2

Fauci is not part of the fda lol. 

He came on NBC News tonight with Lester Holt and said he supports this decision 100% and that we need to investigate before anymore doses of this vaccine are administered
  • Weenie 2

3 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

He came on NBC News tonight with Lester Holt and said he supports this decision 100% and that we need to investigate before anymore doses of this vaccine are administered

Okay. So he supports the other government agencies that made the decision. Why is this a problem? It's exactly how the system is supposed to work. This is why they are constantly monitoring. 

The CDC and FDA are doing the job they were established to perform by investigating a product that people are using to ensure it's as safe as possible. 

I don't see the issue. 

14 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

Whats the end game? Zero Covid cases? You have to assume that things ‘should’ be improved by the start of football. Vaccination rates should be well above 60%. There is an end game, there has to be. What is it? People are at their ends with all of this, especially the vaccinated. That number of people gets even larger every day. I see these restrictions being met with pushback. 

I agree with all of this man. The point of my post was to say there’s things we could have been doing like this the whole time. It’s like places cancelling fall football last spring and then people proved you could play football by testing people before games.

What’re the bills gonna do if Covid cases have dropped to background noise in the fall? Still require this rule because the decided to make a stand six months ahead of time? 

2 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

You live in hamburg. I'm not terribly surprised lol. 

It's pretty bad. My instagram and facebook pages are on fire with online protests on requiring a vaccine for bills game lol. I think I'm going to stay out of those, people are mad.

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It's pretty bad. My instagram and facebook pages are on fire with online protests on requiring a vaccine for bills game lol. I think I'm going to stay out of those, people are mad.

I guess we'll see who the real bills fans are. 

• Haha 1

Okay. So he supports the other government agencies who made the decision. Why is this a problem? It's exactly how the system is supposed to work. This is why they are constantly monitoring. 

Because it’s a 1 in 1 million chance of getting blood clots while we still have hundreds dying of this pandemic daily
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, nwohweather said:

Because it’s a 1 in 1 million chance of getting blood clots while we still have hundreds dying of this pandemic daily

We need to keep giving this vaccine. The benefits still far far outweigh the risk

• Like 1

Just now, nwohweather said:

I get it. It's frustrating. There's 2 other vaccines with ample supply that are currently used. Theyre upholding their commitment to safety. You and I both know there's almost no appetite for poor vaccine outcomes in the US. I hope they look for a few day make recommendations and get back to business.

The people who are mad about pulling the vaccine are not the people who I thought would be mad about pulling the vaccine 

• Haha 1

A personal story I just got from my wife in regards to the J&J vaccine. My wifes friends friend from church got the J&J on Friday. She was dizzy over the weekend. She passed out and went to the ER. She had a blood clot in her brain, the clot is now draining and is in stable condition. Pretty scary stuff...I'd stick with Moderna/Pfizer.

• Sad 1

Given the "strong" reactions in this thread, I feel it's prudent to post this. I said exactly this myself earlier, BTW:

Pausing use of J&J Covid vaccine will not affect timeline of getting U.S. vaccinated, says doctor

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/13/pausing-use-of-jj-covid-vaccine-will-not-affect-timeline-of-getting-us-vaccinated-says-doctor.html

America’s temporary pause in the use of Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose Covid-19 vaccine will not interfere with President Joe Biden’s goal of getting the nation to some semblance of normalcy by Independence Day, the dean of Brown University’s School of Public Health said Tuesday.

“I think this is going to be a blip on the calendar in terms of getting Americans vaccinated,” said Dr. Ashish Jha. “I don’t think it’s going to affect the timeline at all.” 

Federal health agencies advised Tuesday that the U.S. should temporarily pause the use of J&J’s single-dose vaccine after six women out of the roughly 6.9 million people who received the shot reported getting severe blood clots. The blood clots occurred in women between the ages of 18 and 48. One woman died and another is in critical condition. They all developed symptoms 6 to 13 days after getting the shot, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Food and Drug Administration.  

Jha told CNBC’s “The News with Shepard Smith” that the cautionary measures were proof that “the system is working,” and that the government’s swift action may counter vaccine hesitancy. 

“My hope is that it will actually build confidence in people that we don’t take adverse events lightly, and that we investigate them, and that we really are making sure these vaccines are very, very safe.”

just wait until the cruise lines require vaccinations.  the anti-vaxxers are going to be in quite a conundrum.  they love those cheap $500 all-you-can-eat carribean cruises.

3 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

just wait until the cruise lines require vaccinations.  the anti-vaxxers are going to be in quite a conundrum.  they love those cheap $500 all-you-can-eat carribean cruises.

Isn't this already a thing?

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Isn't this already a thing?

That post stinks of DavidK, just saying.

• Like 1

Lockdowns have had varying degrees of success depending on the country. In reality they were never going to be a viable solution for the U.S. due to the size of the country, nature of our governmental system, differences in political beliefs, and number of entry points.

They were most effective in countries which were smaller, more isolated, limited entry points, had a strong central government to enforce strict national measures and/or movement control orders. Additionally, they acted when case numbers were very small AND were able to provide support for the population while stuff was shut down. Examples: NZ, Australia, Malaysia.

Other countries, particularly in Latin American (e.g. Argentina, Peru) also attempted this but failed miserably (Peru has the highest excess mortality or any country for which we have data). In these cases, often not enough planning was done and too much of their economies were "informal" and dependent on frequent person-to-person interaction. (e.g. many people don't have refrigerators so needed to visit markets daily).

Bottom line is there is not one plan fits all for all countries. A place like Australia IMHO has done really well with strict lock downs. In a country with a poor, very young population (e.g. many African countries they would probably do more harm then good.

suicides and drug abuse were going up for years before the pandemic.  extreme wealth inequality and social media are the leading causes.

1 minute ago, fujiwara79 said:

suicides and drug abuse were going up for years before the pandemic.  extreme wealth inequality and social media are the leading causes.

There was a 19% increase in accidental death due mainly due to overdose last year. The increase was far higher than the background trend. 

We can argue why those happened. But mental health has gotten considerably worse during the pandemic. Maybe it's the fear of the virus...maybe it's the negative media...maybe it's the lockdowns. But either way the other ways people suffer during this thing can't be cast aside. 

21 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

A personal story I just got from my wife in regards to the J&J vaccine. My wifes friends friend from church got the J&J on Friday. She was dizzy over the weekend. She passed out and went to the ER. She had a blood clot in her brain, the clot is now draining and is in stable condition. Pretty scary stuff...I'd stick with Moderna/Pfizer.

This may be a bigger problem than they are leading us to believe then. Interesting 

• Like 1

I think that cruise ships are a different story though, because the period of exposure between people is much longer. Theoretically, if you have covid but tested negative because you JUST got it, then you can attend a football game safely. But if you go on a cruise ship waving a negative test in your hand and then develop symptoms 36 hours later, that's an issue.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

There was a 19% increase in accidental death due mainly due to overdose last year. The increase was far higher than the background trend. 

We can argue why those happened. But mental health has gotten considerably worse during the pandemic. Maybe it's the fear of the virus...maybe it's the negative media...maybe it's the lockdowns. But either way the other ways people suffer during this thing can't be cast aside. 

i think the pandemic exacerbated it, but drug overdoses have been going up for 20 years.  they've quadrupled since 1999.  suicides have likewise been increasing since 2000.  the pandemic is not a root cause of these things, but rather an exacerbating factor.  the same people who bring up mental health now, didn't bring them up before the pandemic.  it's an argument of convenience for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

As a Neurologist, I'm very familiar with cerebral venous thrombosis and can affirm that they are very scary, can be difficult to treat and can be deadly or very disabling.  It's one of the reasons why I support them doing due diligence to define and mitigate this risk as much as possible.

I'll never forget the woman I saw as a medical student who was teaching a class as a professor and went down and was found to have a massive CVT and became brain dead 48 hrs later even with maximal treatment.  I've had plenty that were identified and got anti coagulation and did fine too.

I agree with those that note since we have alternative and safer vaccines,  maybe we should restrict J&J if we identify that young women are the ones getting this complication.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

As a Neurologist, I'm very familiar with cerebral venous thrombosis and can affirm that they are very scary, can be difficult to treat and can cause be deadly or very disabling.  It's one of the reasons why I support them doing due diligence to define and mitigate this risk as much as possible.

I'll never forget the woman I saw as a medical student who was teaching a class as a professor and went down and was found to have a massive CVT and became brain dead 48 hrs later even with maximal treatment.  I've had plenty that were identified and got anti coagulation and did find.

I agree with those that note since we have alternative and safer vaccines,  maybe we should restrict J&J if we identify that young women are the ones getting this complication.

3 years ago my wife and I were at a wedding in Perry New York. At 8 pm we were eating dessert with my good friend who was 27 at the time, at 9 pm be passed out on the ground and after an hour of trying to bring him back he was dead at 10 pm. There was a doctor and several nurses at the wedding. Brain aneurysm at 27. I'll never forget that night.

image.png.15dbe672effc42243af8328ac76d1c58.png

• Sad 2

Deleted over 50 posts in here.  :fever:

A friendly reminder... please try to stay on topic as much as possible and keep it civil.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2