• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TuggHillRosato
    Newest Member
    TuggHillRosato

Coronavirus

10 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

Guys its already happening. We need a federal military response. Its not there. Texas, Iowa, ND, SD, Florida are sending them home. So will the midwest.

Thats not going to solve anything. Its just going to make things worse 

What are you supposed to do if you're an essential worker who has preexisting conditions?

Who’s to determine what an “essential” job is? Haha this is what gets me, are we to tell a bartender they are not essential in our world? A barber? A hotelier?

The more these governments push, the easier they make it for large corporations to dominate. I may be banking my best bonus this year yet personally while working from home. Why? Because small businesses are aggressively offering lower prices to not take a massive loss

16 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Who’s to determine what an “essential” job is? Haha this is what gets me, are we to tell a bartender they are not essential in our world? A barber? A hotelier?

The more these governments push, the easier they make it for large corporations to dominate. I may be banking my best bonus this year yet personally while working from home. Why? Because small businesses are aggressively offering lower prices to not take a massive loss

this guy makes money

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Are we agreeing to let people just die in favor of the economy? If so that is just pathetically sad!!! We can always recover the economy but you can NEVER EVER get your loved ones back!!!

Like Alek said, we live among sociopaths.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Or we shut it all down and there is very few essential jobs then for a month. Instead of us trying to guess what is or is not essential. Oh and all 3 you listed are not essential.

Alek is usually dead on, and clearly is again in this case. Here in Central PA, a basic code red has been put out for area hospitals and there’s next to no room for anyone new to come in. It’s getting very worrisome and sad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Not to mention the rise in suicides - "We’ve already seen a steady rise in deaths by suicide over the past two decades and a new report by The Well Being Trust released last month found that 75,000 additional people could die from what they called “deaths of despair,” (which include suicide and substance use) because of Covid-19." https://www.psycom.net/covid-19-suicide-rates

Exactly!  Sad stuff.   Too many people scream lockdown without thinking it through.

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Exactly!  Sad stuff.   Too many people scream lockdown without thinking it through.

A full lockdown is literally the only option we have right now. The numbers right now are terrifying and only getting exponentially worse by the day. If we are not careful we are looking at a unprecedented national emergency!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Looks like it will surpass 2000 deaths on worldometers.  I don't think it will make it to 200k cases today, but it could happen tomorrow.

Final number will be close to last Friday, they haven't added the 5000 cases from LA County yet. They went bad there in a hurry.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

The actual data is actually a bit murky on whether or not suicides are up because of lockdowns. https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4352

This study from Australia where they're have been aggressive lockdowns shows no rise in suicides compared with the baseline rate from the start of the pandemic to 3 days ago  https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-03662030435-1/fulltext

What seems to be an important protective factor is a robust safety net and access to resources for people who need help. Australia has a strong safety net plus a robust national plan to keep covid contained.

All of the people wringing their hands over how lockdowns are going to lead to all these suicides generally tend to be anti lockdown, but they are directing their concern in the wrong direction. 

The viral spread will decide whether lockdowns are needed. We can't function as a society with overwhelmed hospitals.

If you really want to prevent suicides then you should be advocating for a better safety net to treat the despair caused by loss of employment and other risk factors for suicide.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Like Alek said, we live among sociopaths.

100%. This pandemic has proven to me two things (at least): 30-40% of the country is legit either smoking too much weed or actually certifiably paranoid schizophrenic, and 2, many Americans think their privileged lives of luxury mean that everything we enjoy is essential. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Final number will be close to last Friday, they haven't added the 5000 cases from LA County yet. They went bad there in a hurry.

5000 in L.A.??? WOW!!!

Edit. We are going to have to keep a close eye on Los Angeles 

Well a lockdown with no governmental support is obviously a disaster. Even with support a feeling of forced isolation in general will have negative effects especially on those already suffering from depression. But what hospitals in many parts of the country are now dealing with a situation that is not sustainable for any significant period of time. You have beds being set up in parking garages, many more with no ICU space, being run with overworked nurses who are getting to the breaking point dealing with multiple surges over the year in some cases. A some point you have to do something.

A major problem is a significant portion of the population just doesn't care and isn't limiting their contacts with others, either due to fatigue/tired of isolating, to literally believing its a hoax. These "curfews" have less effect if people know where wont be enforcement and don't care anymore to begin with.

Let me preface this post by saying that I am no stranger to suicide. 

However, anyone who tries to use increasing suicide rates to argue against lockdowns is a dunce. If that's you, then you're forgetting a couple of things such as: 

1. Suicidal tendencies are not contagious. 

2. As grotesque as this sentence is, until deaths from suicide even approach deaths from Covid, the two cannot be equated. 

The gap in your logic is vast. You're telling me that you're worried by the few people that might commit suicide while quarantined but you're not worried about the thousands of lives that could be saved by preventing the spread of Covid? Give me a break. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

Ohio’s numbers have looked “better” than last week, trending between 6400-7800/day. But DeWine confirmed today that ~12k cases, since Monday, are being double checked. And most of them are likely positive. So some backdating or a bulk upload will increase Ohio’s number dramatically. 

• Haha 1

NYC closing schools and allowing bars/restaurants to stay open is totally counterproductive IMO. The bars/restaurants are where the virus spreads, much more so than schools according to evidence, and it has huge economic repercussions when parents can’t go to work and have to care for their kids. Much of the reasoning must be teacher union pressure as well as pressure from bar and restaurant groups to stay open since there’s no government help coming, and it’s another black eye for De Blasio. It’ll do nothing to stop the spread and it causes tremendous headaches. We have some additional leeway vs other states for new cases but it can get bad here again very fast. 

• Like 1

Also over 2000 deaths today. :(

When hospitals become overwhelmed like now, care can be significantly improved generally but fatalities rise because of the burden. Unfortunately more of this to come. Horrible failure all around, from the feds on down. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, osubrett2 said:

Ohio’s numbers have looked “better” than last week, trending between 6400-7800/day. But DeWine confirmed today that ~12k cases, since Monday, are being double checked. And most of them are likely positive. So some backdating or a bulk upload will increase Ohio’s number dramatically. 

Ohio's hospital numbers are still going up rapidly, up 26% last 7 days.

• Thanks 1

Just now, CheeselandSkies said:

Rage-tweeting and spamming lawsuits and losing in MI, PA, WI, GA, AZ and NV.

Had to make a quick edit :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

According the American Hospital association there are approximately 800k hospital beds in the U.S. Over 10% of them are now occupied by Covid patients.

Probably 191k cases once Nebraska gets added. This is absurd. The U.S. is approaching Italy's per capita case rate. (~195k U.S. cases.).

EDIT: Finished with 192k

• Sad 1