• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

This thread has gone off the rails, there no real point in arguing about the failed federal response, at least there was finally some communication from the CDC and task force. It's baby steps in the right direction. Also people resoundingly rejected Trump and hopefully the political transition will start soon. Battling the partisan battles on here just leads to name calling and people turning against each other.

• Like 1

Honestly, the federal government is terrible managing things.  The country is larger than Germany, United Kingdom, France, Italy, & Spain combined.  A federal response to anything gets bogged down is bureaucracy.  No, I am not giving Trump and his administration a pass.  I also am not giving a pass to Pelosi, Schumer and their party either.  They are all responsible for making the virus and response political (like just about everything else).

While I believe the federal government should be working and supporting the larger picture such as encouraging and funding a vaccine and the larger infrastructure to deliver it.  Even as the pandemic is seeing all time highs, the decisions on handling things are better done at the state or local level in most instances.  Yes, cooperation and coordination between them needs to happen but a federal mandate isn’t the answer.

I also am supportive of a targeted stimulus package but the personal fluff needs to be removed.  Target people who need the help in a way that does them good and allow more local control over the stimulus.  I for example didn’t need a check and don’t need another.  I have continued to work every day since this started and have gotten paid and have banked more than enough savings should any unpaid time off occur.  (I did lose out on my side hustle income but that was always just gravy and fun money and it will come back.)

There will always be users who don’t comply with mandates or recommendations for COVID spread.  There also have been people who drive drunk and those who commit violent crimes which put our lives at risk.  It seems like a poor comparison but it is not.

The truth is you really need to ask yourself what did people doing who are getting infected?  Discounting those who are captive in nursing home or long-term care or are front line in health care, how are people becoming infected? 

I work in K-12 education and we opened our doors on time in August.  We are almost 40% complete with our school year of 180 days of required instruction.  We have more than 2,000 students and staff across 4 schools.  As of today, we have had 14 students and 11 staff members test positive.  More than half of those can be easily traced to social gathering more than recommended at an event.  We have played sports and had marching band exhibitions and many other activities. 

I know on the other hand I have avoided large gatherings and visiting other people’s homes.  However, I have eaten out, met friends for a bourbon brunch outdoors, and worn my mask.  I go to the store and try to go on an off hour and with purpose.  I’ve been tested twice for COVID.  Once was before I did a sleep study and once before school started when we were asked to voluntarily do it.  I also tested for antibodies at that time.  I was negative every time. 

I have run into non-mask wearers and those who come to the store with a full family and kids touching every damn thing they can.  Again, I smartly buy my items and get in and out without fussing about it.  I don’t waste my time trying to convince others about wearing masks and doing the right thing. They won’t. 

I’ll come to talking about the federal government and those who armchair quarterback the response.  Monday morning quarterbacking is easy.  We all do it.  I think so many people underestimate the complexities of the COVID pandemic and only look one aspect and (mostly) ignore the others.  Science, economic, societal and just a few and each one of those have an almost infinite amount of sub aspects to consider.  Anyone thinking there is a simple and singular response that Trump (or anyone) should have provided is not seeing the whole picture.  It’s just too complex and people, even those who go along or make the rules have free will and will do what they want in certain circumstances.  It is like me deciding to eat out when I could cook at home or sitting with coworkers at lunch in our designated lunch area.  We still do it almost every day. 

I don’t usually post this much even when it is about weather-related topics. I think everyone needs to step back and consider the larger picture and that no argument here will settle anything or change anyone’s opinion.  If you are concerned someone lurking and reading is getting misinformation, this is not the place for information about COVID.  It is a forum of weather enthusiasts of varying skills and a few professional.  If they don’t know the different, they education and life experiences have failed them. 

I probably rambled here and there and likely everywhere.  My apologies for that and grammar and typos.  Happy Friday and I hope everyone a safe and happy holiday season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

Well, those people at least were mostly masked. How about the Trump fans maskless event????

That is completely fair. But acting like the virus isn't getting spread at those other places because those people belong to a different political party isn't. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Wow, I left for a few hours and come back to this s**t show.

While all of you are busy bickering, name-calling, and pointing fingers, I got a call from an official today asking how many body bags I can get my hands on. :(

did we think the Virus was going to magically disappear by choosing not to follow science, established protocol and social distancing.

Tragic all around..paying inmates $2 an hour to do this?

El Paso posts grim 'help wanted' ad for $27.20-per-hour temporary morgue workers who can lift up to 400lbs to help move bodies of COVID-19 victims

• The El Paso County Medical Examiner's Office posted a help wanted ad asking for temporary morgue workers
  • Workers would be paid $27.20 per hour and must be able to lift between 100 and 400 pounds with assistance
  • 'Not only is this assignment physically taxing, but it may be emotionally taxing as well,' the ad warned
  • El Paso County has been relying on low-level offender inmates, who are being paid $2 an hour, to help move bodies
  • The Medical Examiner's Office says there are 247 bodies at the morgue and inside nine refrigerated trailers being used as 'mobile morgues.'
  • Sad 1

We have reached 25k cases in my county, out of a population of almost 486k.

Obviously it's a bit of a guessing game on how many cases have been missed since this began, but...

If cases are 5x higher than reported, it would mean that 125k, or about 26% of my county has had it.

If cases are 8x higher than reported, it would mean that 200k, or 41% of my county has had it.

There are false positives and false negatives of course.  Also, there may be some people who had covid, moved out of the county and were replaced by people who have not had covid, but this seems like nibbling at the edges type of stuff that would be unlikely to change things in a huge way.

At some point you start to wonder if some kind of temporary/partial herd immunity kicks in and slows down the infection rate, but there is no sign of it yet as my county continues to consistently have several hundred new cases per day with some record high days in the mix.

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

Tragic all around..paying inmates $2 an hour to do this?

El Paso posts grim 'help wanted' ad for $27.20-per-hour temporary morgue workers who can lift up to 400lbs to help move bodies of COVID-19 victims

• The El Paso County Medical Examiner's Office posted a help wanted ad asking for temporary morgue workers
  • Workers would be paid $27.20 per hour and must be able to lift between 100 and 400 pounds with assistance
  • 'Not only is this assignment physically taxing, but it may be emotionally taxing as well,' the ad warned
  • El Paso County has been relying on low-level offender inmates, who are being paid $2 an hour, to help move bodies
  • The Medical Examiner's Office says there are 247 bodies at the morgue and inside nine refrigerated trailers being used as 'mobile morgues.'

Thats just horrible. Unfortunately this is coming to cities all over America 

11 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Thats just horrible. Unfortunately this is coming to cities all over America 

This all happened in NYC. people thought they were exaggerating the conditions and numbers, as they continued to live their lives worry free.

It was just a matter of time since March that rural areas would get hit hard if they didn't take this seriously..These are the same people protesting because they have to wear a mask and vote against  hospitals and health care.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

This all happened in NYC. people thought they were exaggerating the conditions and numbers, as they continued to live their lives worry free.

It was just a matter of time since March that rural areas would get hit hard if they didn't take this seriously..

O ya, they set up the field hospitals that sat empty.  

• Sad 1