Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

1 hour ago, WaryWarren said:

Too bad a certain segment of the U.S. population is skeptical of this news being dropped right after the election and will refuse to take it.

There's a lot of skepticism about this vaccine.  I saw a survey where significant numbers of doctors and healthcare workers said they wouldn't take the vaccine.  Doesn't mean they can't change their minds of course.  These are people in the medical field, so I can imagine how skeptical the general public will be.

One challenge will be convincing people who had covid to get the vaccine.  "I already had covid so I don't need the vaccine."

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

There's a lot of skepticism about this vaccine.  I saw a survey where significant numbers of doctors and healthcare workers said they wouldn't take the vaccine.  Doesn't mean they can't change their minds of course.  These are people in the medical field, so I can imagine how skeptical the general public will be.

One challenge will be convincing people who had covid to get the vaccine.  "I already had covid so I don't need the vaccine."

If the 90%+ efficacy holds up in full analysis then it will be much easier to reach heard immunity compared with what had been expected ~60% efficacy.

The full efficacy data and safety data need to come out plus longer term data on duration of immunity before popping the champagne but there's no way to spin this as anything but great news. It also gives hope that done of the other late stage vaccines like moderns which also is using mRNA will also be effective. 

If proven effective and safe, I believe this vaccine will end up being mandated by schools, employers military, etc just add many other vaccines have been rolled out.

31 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

If the 90%+ efficacy holds up in full analysis then it will be much easier to reach heard immunity compared with what had been expected ~60% efficacy.

The full efficacy data and safety data need to come out plus longer term data on duration of immunity before popping the champagne but there's no way to spin this as anything but great news. It also gives hope that done of the other late stage vaccines like moderns which also is using mRNA will also be effective. 

If proven effective and safe, I believe this vaccine will end up being mandated by schools, employers military, etc just add many other vaccines have been rolled out.

This is probably some of the best news we've had all year. Can't wait for this to be over 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

What did he say, missed it. 

He was questioning the administration's plan to distribute the vaccine, saying it is flawed.  That's one thing, but he threw in a line about it being good news that Pfizer has promising results and bad news that it is 2 months before a Biden administration.  That quote is going to be blasted all over the place and would've been better left unsaid.

• Thanks 1

Guest ovweather
1 hour ago, Angrysummons said:

There is no vaccine. Pfizer announcement is the same as all the others. 90% effective in test tubes. Word on the street people that were in the trial didn't even exist. It is political and not in a good way. Just about all the drug companies that were doing trials used the same method and had the same result.

Moderna is the one to watch. Will file in January and probably begin distribution around April fools.

Great, more political conspiracy theories being floated around by the wackos of the world. “Word on the street” = Facebook, Twitter, etc - the founding fathers of modern day conspiracy theories in this crazy world.

Interesting to compare the hospitalizations and deaths over time.  Back in spring, we were getting 2k plus death days.  The summer surge, despite roughly the same number of hospitalizations at peak, resulted in significantly less deaths.  

If you just view it as deaths per hospitalized patients (not saying this is perfect), it appears like we are doing worse than summer but better than spring.  This makes sense in a way, as the virus has penetrated all over the country which means it has gotten into areas that may not be as well equipped.  Also, a lot was learned between spring and summer, but I'm not sure how much more has been learned from summer to fall.

Screenshot_20201109-185014.thumb.png.3fbbcf69a122afaa790f0a44870ad693.png

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Interesting to compare the hospitalizations and deaths over time.  Back in spring, we were getting 2k plus death days.  The summer surge, despite roughly the same number of hospitalizations at peak, resulted in significantly less deaths.  

If you just view it as deaths per hospitalized patients (not saying this is perfect), it appears like we are doing worse than summer but better than spring.  This makes sense in a way, as the virus has penetrated all over the country which means it has gotten into areas that may not be as well equipped.  Also, a lot was learned between spring and summer, but I'm not sure how much more has been learned from summer to fall.

I will note that France and some of the other European countries are now starting to get hit bad with deaths. Considering they went truly insane about 2 weeks before we did I could see us unfortunately start to do the same thing here in a week or two.

• Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

• Thanks 1

Guest ovweather
2 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

This administration never ceases to amaze me. Its like they don't care at all

20201109_180231.jpg

Cut the guy some slack, kissing Trump’s ass is hard work, so he deserves a vacation.

Ironically, Biden has accomplished more in one day in the fight against Covid than Pence has as head of the task force in the last 9 months. Sorry for a political post, but this is the sad reality.

I think what galls me the most is even early on, when this pandemic was causing the equivalent of a Hurricane Katrina or 9/11 in this country every couple of days, some people just decided that it wasn't that big a deal, masks be damned.

They were who they were all along. This event just gave a gruesome way for them to visibly identify themselves. I hear “but muh liberties” and I translate that to “but muh right to be self centered”.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Remember what Forrest Gump said.  Angrysummons is like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.

A swift kick in the ass out of this thread would be one chocolate he should get. "Word on the street" has no business in this thread, especially when it is unverified bullcrap.

• Haha 1