Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

16 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yeah major lols on having a plan. Oh right they had an infectious disease plan after Ebola and it got gutted, and here we are.

To be fair Ebola is far less contagious than this. That's really the issue, contact tracing is very possible with something like that where you catch it from direct contact with a sick individual. This is spread airborne by asymptomatic people. That is the truly terrifying thing about this illness

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

To be fair Ebola is far less contagious than this. That's really the issue, contact tracing is very possible with something like that where you catch it from direct contact with a sick individual. This is spread airborne by asymptomatic people. That is the truly terrifying thing about this illness

That wasn't a direct comparison virus to virus, that was the fact that there was an infectious disease plan in place and as soon as the current administration came in they gutted it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

No lol, but come on do you really think small towns are going to abide by this? I realize I probably grew up in a more rural area than most here, but I doubt any true lockdowns will be followed through.

I do have a serious scientific question on this, does anyone really think that anything other than herd immunity will work here? If you look at the Spanish Flu & Russian Flu (which is believed to be a coronavirus as well) most studies I have read agree that it was herd immunity which brought it to a final end. Honestly does anyone think there is another outcome other than a vaccine which is mandatory for all Americans to take that will solve this issue?

Even if a vaccine comes out tomorrow, you'd have to set it up so everyone in America takes this vaccine within a 4-5 month span to prevent any re-infection. And then this will probably need to continue for years to come similar to a flu shot. IMO I find the implementation of a solution here to be incredibly difficult & almost not feasible. 

Maybe we wouldn't be talking about lockdowns if everybody would take this seriously.

I don't think there is a clean end to this.  We have come to tolerate about 15,000-40,000 flu deaths (sometimes even more) per year.  If we can get this down to that level, then I think people will generally accept it as a part of our lives.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Maybe we wouldn't be talking about lockdowns if everybody would take this seriously.

I don't think there is a clean end to this.  We have come to tolerate about 15,000-40,000 flu deaths (sometimes even more) per year.  If we can get this down to that level, then I think people will generally accept it as a part of our lives.  

Well said.

4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

That wasn't a direct comparison virus to virus, that was the fact that there was an infectious disease plan in place and as soon as the current administration came in they gutted it.

That's a laughable comment. George Bush actually went to great lengths to set up the current system in 2005, but it became neglected in time by both the Obama Administration & then furthermore by the Trump Administration. It's actually aggravating in hindsight that was not followed through, reading up on this they had a really good plan and even presented it to the NIH. But alas funding was not there to sustain it.

George W. Bush in 2005: 'If we wait for a pandemic to appear, it will be too late to prepare'

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Well said.

That's a laughable comment. George Bush actually went to great lengths to set up the current system in 2005, but it became neglected in time by both the Obama Administration & then furthermore by the Trump Administration. It's actually aggravating in hindsight that was not followed through, reading up on this they had a really good plan and even presented it to the NIH. But alas funding was not there to sustain it.

George W. Bush in 2005: 'If we wait for a pandemic to appear, it will be too late to prepare'

Yeah there is nothing in there about Obama neglecting it, and we know that the Obama administration strengthened infectious disease commissions after Ebola, so take your political blinders off.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Italy has to deal with violent lockdown protests now, so I don't think whoever said that about protests is far off if another lockdown were to occur.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54701042

Plus our election situation would throw fuel on the fire because one way or another, a lot of people aren't going to like the outcome.

11 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Italy has to deal with violent lockdown protests now, so I don't think whoever said that about protests is far off if another lockdown were to occur.

Lockdowns are inevitable. We cannot sustain this path we are on. The virus is completely  out of control.  Our only hope is a vaccine. Other than that we are totally screwed. 

40 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yeah there is nothing in there about Obama neglecting it, and we know that the Obama administration strengthened infectious disease commissions after Ebola, so take your political blinders off.

Quit talking about Ebola lol. Hell in 2015 is when Bill Gates gave his grave prediction on that TED talk. We weren't prepared and if you read the article I posted you can see that funding waned over time with the 2005 measures.

• Weenie 2

Guest ovweather
20 minutes ago, JoMo said:

The lockdown in Italy was a true, no one can leave their homes for any reason, lockdown, unlike the more relaxed “lockdown” we had here in the states where people could still leave their homes to go to work, the store, the doctor, to a park to exercise, etc. Basically, we never had and never will experience a lockdown here in the US. Restrictions, yes, but anyone who complains about a few minor inconveniences (mask wearing, social distancing) needs to get their life priorities in check (and stop being so damn selfish).

11 minutes ago, ovweather said:

The lockdown in Italy was a true, no one can leave their homes for any reason, lockdown, unlike the more relaxed “lockdown” we had here in the states where people could still leave their homes to go to work, the store, the doctor, to a park to exercise, etc. Basically, we never had and never will experience a lockdown here in the US. Restrictions, yes, but anyone who complains about a few minor inconveniences (mask wearing, social distancing) needs to get their life priorities in check (and stop being so damn selfish).

Perhaps I missed it as I just scanned the article, but I don't think this is a "no one can leave their house lockdown".  

The government is also urging people not to travel outside their home towns or cities unless absolutely necessary and to avoid using public transport if possible.

Isn't this similar to stay at home?

Edit;. I'm referring to the most recent

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, madwx said:

Wisconsin up to about 30 deaths per 100,000 from Covid.  Still only about 40% of South Carolina's death rate of 74 per 100,000.  Still a long ways from having as bad of an outbreak.

Just one factor to consider, but the diabeetus could be playing a role

18160.jpeg.jpg.df4047e959efdb044bfd5da1737332c5.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nwohweather said:

I do have a serious scientific question on this, does anyone really think that anything other than herd immunity will work here? If you look at the Spanish Flu & Russian Flu (which is believed to be a coronavirus as well) most studies I have read agree that it was herd immunity which brought it to a final end. Honestly does anyone think there is another outcome other than a vaccine which is mandatory for all Americans to take that will solve this issue?

It took ~30 years for heard immunity to finally beat out the H1N1 virus that caused the Spanish flu, and of course there were many millions of deaths in that time span. If the theory about Russian flu being caused by the coronavirus OC43 is true, then herd immunity never killed it off as it still circulates today. Don't get me wrong, the new coronavirus is never going away either, but many of the deaths and severe illness can be mitigated if it follows the pattern of other pandemics.

A vaccine won't make it all go away, but there's a lot of reason to believe it will significantly reduce mortality. The H1N1 vaccine developed for 2010 would have actually prevented many of the deaths associated with the Spanish flu, even though it wasn't specifically targeted for it. A SARS2 coronavirus vaccine may not give complete immunity for a long time, but there's good reason to believe the partial immunity it may provide down the road will be enough to beat down the virus into something much less severe in most people. Remember that this coronavirus often directly interferes with immune function, so a vaccine designed to produce an optimal antibody response has a lot more hope for inducing immunity than from direct infection.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, madwx said:

Wisconsin up to about 30 deaths per 100,000 from Covid.  Still only about 40% of South Carolina's death rate of 74 per 100,000.  Still a long ways from having as bad of an outbreak.

But I thought South Carolina was this great place where everything was completely normal and there is no war in Ba Sing Se  no Covid in South Carolina.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dta1984 said:

Biden won't be able to pull a miracle out of his ass and solve the crisis, but I firmly believe that he will ensure that should a situation like this ever arise again, we will be much better prepared for it. 

Agreed.  Although to be fair, I think Bush or Obama, or even McCain or Romney had they won, would also be better prepared.  They actually had governing experience and some level of competency.  We can't say the same for the current guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

Agreed.  Although to be fair, I think Bush or Obama, or even McCain or Romney had they won, would also be better prepared.  They actually had governing experience and some level of competency.  We can't say the same for the current guy.

I did a double-take for a second when I saw a pro-Biden comment quoted from dta and then I realized it was mine actually lol

It's just annoying that one of the guys "majorly lolled" at that statement without actually explaining why. It's not even a pro-Biden thing, literally any president with half an ass would figure things out if they were in office after covid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

I did a double-take for a second when I saw a pro-Biden comment quoted from dta and then I realized it was mine actually lol

It's just annoying that one of the guys "majorly lolled" at that statement without actually explaining why. It's not even a pro-Biden thing, literally any president with half an ass would figure things out if they were in office after covid.

Surely that president with half an ass isn't Joe Biden lol.  Sleepy Creepy Joe will have a  country wide lockdown, and a Federal mask mandate.  I'm sure he had a plan at some point, but probably forgot it by now.   

• Weenie 5

Guest ovweather
23 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

You're right, it's not just governing experience, but an overall competent intellect as well. Trump can't lead a country because he lacks the knowledge and intelligence. He isn't even a very good business man outside of politics. Is it any wonder why Covid is kicking America's ass right now?