• Member Statistics

    16,098
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    shawanta003
    Newest Member
    shawanta003
    Joined

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

It sounds to me like you're saying protests occurred en masse because of "lockdowns" - is that what you're getting at? What you also clearly don't get is the plight of Black Americans, who by the way, are still disproportionately affected by the pandemic. 

Pretty sure lockdown protests is what he's referring to. Or anti mask protests etc  Not about race. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suburban Cook Co was added to the list of regions (counties) with increased restrictions.

However, it doesn’t matter much...As many places have stayed open in counties already under the increased restrictions.


.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I work at an airport and I see who is flying, with these lower rates it is people who wouldn't normally fly to begin with. It is the airlines taking advantage of the situation to insure they have nearly full flights to keep their routes. Doesn't matter if people get sick as long as planes are flying.
Generally speaking, are current flyers skewing toward any particular age/income/education level?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dta1984 said:

Pretty sure lockdown protests is what he's referring to. Or anti mask protests etc  Not about race. 

2 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

It sounds to me like you're saying protests occurred en masse because of "lockdowns" - is that what you're getting at? What you also clearly don't get is the plight of Black Americans, who by the way, are still disproportionately affected by the pandemic. 

Yes DTA I was not talking about the race riots & protests. I swear sometimes this forum at times gives NASCAR a run for its money and how much it goes left.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

Yes DTA I was not talking about the race riots & protests. I swear sometimes this forum at times gives NASCAR a run for its money and how much it goes left.

 

 

 

Well, this is a forum for weather buffs and meteorologists, so we have tendency to follow the science, however "left" that may seem to some.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol, the roaring twenties were a disaster globally. Europe never really recovered from the war/flu and the US had the biggest debt bubble in history. Revolution in Italy was partly triggered by the flu in the early 20's.

COVID doesn't get the respect because it kills the older folks and its imprint in Asia/Africa is vastly less than the 1918-20. Until the medical bottlenecks end, your going to get restrictions. So let it go and lets have a million infected a week. Drugs would run out, younger people due to lack of treatment will die at a greater rate. Please, just let it happen. Lets nature takes its course. Sadly, the health care system will implode and long term effects will plague it for years.

  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Well, this is a forum for weather buffs and meteorologists, so we have tendency to follow the science, however "left" that may seem to some.

Science is whatever your politics says it is. Science arguably made capitalism with low debt possible for a century due to the mass technological surge which made debt expansion have huge growth multipliers.

  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Angrysummons said:

lol, the roaring twenties were a disaster globally. Europe never really recovered from the war/flu and the US had the biggest debt bubble in history. Revolution in Italy was partly triggered by the flu in the early 20's.

COVID doesn't get the respect because it kills the older folks and its imprint in Asia/Africa is vastly less than the 1918-20. Until the medical bottlenecks end, your going to get restrictions. So let it go and lets have a million infected a week. Drugs would run out, younger people due to lack of treatment will die at a greater rate. Please, just let it happen. Lets nature takes its course. Sadly, the health care system will implode and long term effects will plague it for years.

That wasn't the general point. Its that there is a way out. Positive and empathetic public health messaging is important.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OSUmetstud said:

That wasn't the general point. Its that there is a way out. Positive and empathetic public health messaging is important.

Good luck with that. I just don't see it. Much like Newsome trying to restrict California Thanksgiving gatherings.............and wearing masks when you aren't eating.........simply isn't going to work. Rationing medical supplies and beds for people that actually need them is the only thing that can be done. Messaging is toast. When the 30 year old person comes in with Covid related problems, they will have to be sent to a facility were no medical care will be given wishing for the best. The people have decided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Angrysummons said:

Good luck with that. I just don't see it. Much like Newsome trying to restrict California Thanksgiving gatherings.............and wearing masks when you aren't eating.........simply isn't going to work. Rationing medical supplies and beds for people that actually need them is the only thing that can be done. Messaging is toast. When the 30 year old person comes in with Covid related problems, they will have to be sent to a facility were no medical care will be given wishing for the best. The people have decided.

I'm talking about that pandemics end and normal life resumes. Public health people haven't given up and neither should we. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just heard that a client passed away after fighting it about three weeks in the ICU. He was a good guy with a lot left to offer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fwiw,  I have now went out to dinner once and today I had to go to Sam's club to do some shopping. These are the first 2 times I've been in public since having it and I can report that every single person I saw was wearing a mask. If people just continue to cooperate we can hopefully avoid a lockdown. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kevlon62 said:

Generally speaking, are current flyers skewing toward any particular age/income/education level?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
 

With the prices so cheap you are seeing a lot more younger people flying these days and those are the ones who are more careless in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You start rationing health care and the mortality rate skyrockets, this is going to get very bad very fast.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here’s a reality check. 
 

One of the students in my sons class tested positive over the weekend.  My son developed sniffles, cough, sore throat but no fever.  A neighbor down the street had the same symptoms.  She tested positive on Sunday. 
 

I took my son to get tested today - the place was packed and we had a reservation.  I was fortunate to get this as I have a supplemental physical to my primary that helped me find an appointment.  At least 40 people/cars in line - this is where his pediatrician suggested we go for rapid testing and then come to them for a parking lot strep test just in case to rule out most overly contagious things.  The pediatrics office had 12 cars in line for kid testing of covid. 
 

To register for a backup test, you have to get up at midnight and register for your spot.  I did this at midnight - they filled in 40 seconds for the day.  All facilities (18 of them) for this particular testing place filled by 12:02am.  
 

there still aren’t enough tests for people and the rates are as high as they are.  There’s no efforts to control any of this.  After experiencing just this (my son tested negative, thankfully) I really feel for healthcare workers dealing with this.  They are only going to be under more pressure over the next few weeks/months after having done so much and put themselves in situations beyond their control. 
 

to then see a mass rally on tv with maybe 50% masks is simply infuriating.  

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the bigger breakthroughs would be if we had at home rapid result testing.  And ideally at a cost that is dirt cheap.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the major problems with the spread in places like the upper Midwest/Mountain West is limited availability of medical facilities and properly trained personnel. Very difficult to increase capacity in facilities in those areas, as opposed to a large hospital system in a major Metro.

On a side note, also a possibility that hospitalizations are currently being under reported due to the high level of rural spread.Some of these smaller hospitals many not be reporting to HHS due to lack of staff knowledge of the new HHS system or have the time to handle all the reporting they require.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

One of the bigger breakthroughs would be if we had at home rapid result testing.  And ideally at a cost that is dirt cheap.

There is not enough effort put forth on this for therapeutics. We don't have a cold vaccine but we have cold medicine, there needs to be more to develop COVID medicine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stebo said:

There is not enough effort put forth on this for therapeutics. We don't have a cold vaccine but we have cold medicine, there needs to be more to develop COVID medicine.

To actually develop a new medicine (not something already in existence), trial it, then mass produce it... I can't imagine how long that would take.  :axe:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

To actually develop a new medicine (not something already in existence), trial it, then mass produce it... I can't imagine how long that would take.  :axe:

I mean we don't hear much about new medicine being developed, just a vaccine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2020 at 4:06 PM, michsnowfreak said:

fwiw,  I have now went out to dinner once and today I had to go to Sam's club to do some shopping. These are the first 2 times I've been in public since having it and I can report that every single person I saw was wearing a mask. If people just continue to cooperate we can hopefully avoid a lockdown. 

I’m optimistic that we won’t be going through another hard lockdown. You couldn’t get masks in March, and treatments have been improved with a better understanding of the virus, not to mention that most have adapted to the mentality of social distancing and testing is more widespread.

Having a mask mandate helps a lot, too. Sure, you’ll still have people who’ll disregard it, but the 10% (accounts for a million or so in MI) of people who’d go around maskless without a mandate will have a far less likely chance of infecting a million more, so hospitals should hopefully withstand this round.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, RobertSul said:

I’m optimistic that we won’t be going through another hard lockdown. You couldn’t get masks in March, and treatments have been improved with a better understanding of the virus, not to mention that most have adapted to the mentality of social distancing and testing is more widespread.

Having a mask mandate helps a lot, too. Sure, you’ll still have people who’ll disregard it, but the 10% (accounts for a million or so in MI) of people who’d go around maskless without a mandate will have a far less likely chance of infecting a million more, so hospitals should withstand this round.

You won’t have another hard lockdown bc there’s 300 million firearms in the country. Also does it even matter at this point? Most spread is occurring from cookouts, events like wedding, hangouts at this point.

People have adjusted from going to bars and public events to hanging out with friends regularly. That’s aiding this thing

  • Weenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

You won’t have another hard lockdown bc there’s 300 million firearms in the country. Also does it even matter at this point? Most spread is occurring from cookouts, events like wedding, hangouts at this point.

People have adjusted from going to bars and public events to hanging out with friends regularly. That’s aiding this thing

That part about 300 million firearms is the single most neck-bearded thing I have ever read. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...