Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

2 hours ago, fujiwara79 said:

so if they checked into the hospital for blood clots, but they tested positive for Covid upon admission, how do they know Covid didn't cause (or exacerbate) the blood clots?

Or if someone with COPD checks into the hospital for shortness of breath, but test positive for Covid upon admission, how do they know Covid wasn't exacerbating their pre-existing lung issues?

That's why I don't understand how 30% of Covid hospitalizations are "asymptomatic".  They're obviously symptomatic of something -- otherwise they wouldn't be in the hospital.  How do they know their symptoms aren't being caused/exacerbated by Covid given that they tested positive? 

Are outpatient clinics included in the hospital numbers?  Just  covid tested for a colonoscopy screening

20 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Might finish in 3rd place for the whole year of 2020, and we've only really been counting since March.

Been contemplating some things about the vaccines.

The timing of this phased rollout raises some questions going forward.  First of all, nobody yet knows how long that protection from the vaccine may last.  For the sake of argument, let's assume it becomes a yearly shot like the flu vaccine.  Will they try to get people on a fall schedule similar to the flu shot?  From a practical standpoint, it kind of makes sense.  Obviously there would be less than 1 year between the time that people get the covid vaccine and fall 2021 though.  

There's been polls about Americans' willingness to get a covid vaccine, but one question I'd like to see asked is whether people will get it as soon as it becomes available to them or if they will wait until fall 2021.  Could have people lie of course and say they will get it and then not follow through, but would be interesting to see the responses to that question.

Got my first email today sent to staff in my department asking who would opt in on the first round of vaccinations. I find that alone to be somewhat interesting because with the flu vaccine there's no opt in or opt out. It's get the vaccine unless you have a contraindication.

I suspect I'll be getting the first dose probably within the next couple weeks.

6 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

Got my first email today sent to staff in my department asking who would opt in on the first round of vaccinations. I find that alone to be somewhat interesting because with the flu vaccine there's no opt in or opt out. It's get the vaccine unless you have a contraindication.

I suspect I'll be getting the first dose probably within the next couple weeks.

Maybe because it's new/under EUA? 

Flu vaccines have been around a long time.

28 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Not a fan of mandatory vaccines in general (more on that below), but especially this particular one at this time.  I think the better way is very robust public education to try to get people to take them.  Yes, I understand that people won't get vaccinated if it's not mandatory, and I admit my views may be a little idealistic/pie in the sky.

There is something a little off putting about the concept of being forced to have a needle stuck in the arm and possibly having side effects like chills, fever, fatigue, etc. even though it's more of a temporary nuisance than anything.  There is nothing else quite like that in life.  You are required to have car insurance in most places, but they don't stick it in your body (well, some may argue they stick you in a certain part of the body ;))

• Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Not a fan of mandatory vaccines in general (more on that below), but especially this particular one at this time.  I think the better way is very robust public education to try to get people to take them.  Yes, I understand that people won't get vaccinated if it's not mandatory, and I admit my views may be a little idealistic/pie in the sky.

There is something a little off putting about the concept of being forced to have a needle stuck in the arm and possibly having side effects like chills, fever, fatigue, etc. even though it's more of a temporary nuisance than anything.  There is nothing else quite like that in life.  You are required to have car insurance in most places, but they don't stick it in your body (well, some may argue they stick you in a certain part of the body ;))

I completely agree with not making anyone take it. This may come off as harsh, but at that point you let Darwinism run its course for those who decline. You would undoubtedly hear a cry concerning citizens subsidizing those who can't afford the costs of treatment who contract COVID after refusing the vaccine, but that is a cost of living in this country under currents laws.  

• Weenie 1

11 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Wonder if vaccine roll out is going to be delayed for various reasons. Trump administration  supposedly not buying enough doses from Pfizer when given the chance over the summer, raw material issues for the tubes in terms of purity etc..Would not be surprised if widespread vaccinations of the general public aren't pushed back months. Instead of Fauci hoping April its more late summer and fall. Also full immunity benefits not received till 2-3 weeks after 2nd dose. Looking at 2 months per person to effectively see vaccine effect. Could be like the old line everyone who needs a test can get one back in March/April. Saw how that worked out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indystorm said:

I certainly agree that massive public education rather than mandatory law is the way to go to be most persuasive.  But don't we already mandate some proof of vaccination for some diseases in order have children enrolled in some public schools?

When I was in school we needed to get our Hepatitis shots before going back to school by a certain date. They were mandatory. 

35 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Today's a big day. Who would have thought 10 months ago or so when this thing really started going that we would have 95% efficacy vaccines going into people on Dec. 8th in England. 

Yes, this shows you what we can do when we prioritize something and throw money at it in proper amounts.  Wish we could do this for other pressing needs world wide, but competing self interests will usually block the achievement.

• Like 2