Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

10 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

Ironic that this is now growing at a faster rate, just about two weeks after the President told us not to fear COVID, no?

And even more ironic that we see over 80,000 cases right after he, once again, said that we're "rounding the corner" repeatedly last night, smh There's trying to be "positive" and then just continuously speaking an alternate reality. It just makes things even more frustrating

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

France will eventually get a handle since they are actually doing things to fight it back now, for us I’m afraid it’s up up and away for awhile.

Eventually being the key word.  It seems like it usually takes a while to see a meaningful impact since a lot of people live with someone else or multiple people.  Sort of has to cycle through a household.  

1 minute ago, RyanDe680 said:

Crazy stuff.   I think we’ve all been there.  Glad to hear you’re on the mend. 

Thanks! I've talked to many who work in the medical field and they ALL say the same thing...im fine, this is totally normal to have minor issues linger for weeks. Thats whats so crazy about this virus imo. The longevity, not the severity. I had a total of about 10 days that id consider "bad". But were talking 3.5 weeks and im still not 100%. So realistically its possible that I will go 4-5 weeks before im totally myself (God willing no more LOL) despite only 10 days of it being really bad.

Guest ovweather
36 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

wow, good for you running a marathon! I'm no doctor but from what I'm told my chest xray looks good for not having any long term damage. I had an xray earlier this week and it was much clearer than the Oct 8 one, but not 100% so I have one more Nov 19 to make sure all is clear. 

I think everyone is curious to know just how Covid pneumonia might differ from other forms of viral and bacterial pneumonias in terms of potential long-term damage within the body.

Good luck in your continued recovery!

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Thanks! I've talked to many who work in the medical field and they ALL say the same thing...im fine, this is totally normal to have minor issues linger for weeks. Thats whats so crazy about this virus imo. The longevity, not the severity. I had a total of about 10 days that id consider "bad". But were talking 3.5 weeks and im still not 100%. So realistically its possible that I will go 4-5 weeks before im totally myself (God willing no more LOL) despite only 10 days of it being really bad.

Good to here man

• Like 1

We officially pulled the plug on our Thanksgiving gathering.  Normally have 20+ people sometimes closer to 30.  I may get together with my mom and that's about it.  Not even getting together with my sister and her family as they don't really follow the guidelines, but I have been seeing them every so often for the past several months so that doesn't really bother me.

For the life of me I can't wrap my head around how the hell Boeing takes priority over every single small business in the country. I know this point has been brought up countless times, but the shameless pandering to rich companies in this nation makes me sick. Forgive my radicalism, but it's really about time that Americans kick all of these damn politicians to the curb and take back our country. They've shown time and time again that we are not their priority.

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Yeah the "long haul syndrome" is another part of this where there is still much to be learned...praying that you don't have any lingering effects and can be 100% again--glad to hear you are recovering!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yeah the "long haul syndrome" is another part of this where there is still much to be learned...praying that you don't have any lingering effects and can be 100% again--glad to hear you are recovering!

There are so many long haulers. I have an aunt who is one. She had it in March and April. She still has a few effects though she can live her life normally now. Still has occasional cough and loses some hair.

That's what's so baffling about everything. If you have a mild case it absolutely will just feel like the flu. In fact I had a bad flu 4 years ago and that felt worse. However, when you have the flu, when it's done it's done. With this its like you charge your battery from 10% to 85 or 90% but then you're stuck there for weeks and can't get to 100%.

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

We officially pulled the plug on our Thanksgiving gathering.  Normally have 20+ people sometimes closer to 30.  I may get together with my mom and that's about it.  Not even getting together with my sister and her family as they don't really follow the guidelines, but I have been seeing them every so often for the past several months so that doesn't really bother me.

We are going to be making some amendments to our holiday gatherings but I am not sure how drastic yet. I want to be as cautious as possible but I am not going to let covid ruin my holidays.

• Like 2

Just remember that the current death numbers are from people that got sick a month ago when our numbers were around 40K a day.  At 80K+ now, we'll see the affects of that around Thanksgiving.  Hope this is wrong, but 2-3K a day is the consequence of what's happening now.

28 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

Just remember that the current death numbers are from people that got sick a month ago when our numbers were around 40K a day.  At 80K+ now, we'll see the affects of that around Thanksgiving.  Hope this is wrong, but 2-3K a day is the consequence of what's happening now.

Yeah, this is going to get ugly. The hospitals are going to be hit by tsunami of covid patients in a couple of weeks. 

The problem with this fall and winter wave is unlike what happened earlier when it was confined to mostly the northeast is that now its everywhere! If hospitals fill up everywhere then its every hospital for themselves with no help coming. If this were to happen then the death rate would just skyrocket not only from COVID-19 but from other emergencies because nobody would be able to get any help with the hospitals being overwhelmed. Hopefully it does not come to this

For the life of me I can't wrap my head around how the hell Boeing takes priority over every single small business in the country. I know this point has been brought up countless times, but the shameless pandering to rich companies in this nation makes me sick. Forgive my radicalism, but it's really about time that Americans kick all of these damn politicians to the curb and take back our country. They've shown time and time again that we are not their priority.

Boeing is 1% of the national economy. It also is our largest exporter. Finally it is the 2nd largest defense contractor behind Lockheed.

I don’t disagree with you about Main Street needing help, but large companies have so much pull since they employ thousands.

I’ll say large corporations aren’t the enemy really. Reason being, they pay well typically. You really notice it in college at the career fairs, your people like GM, Ford, Boeing are so coveted because they absolutely pay. I make a good living now but I’d easily make probably $20K a year more if I worked at Boeing or the DoD.

45 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

one saving grace is the virus has lost its potency from spring.

Not sue how much of this is true. Deaths are definitely reduced compared to hospitalizations relative to the spring, but some of that is certainly due improvements in treatment and groups much more vulnerable, like the elderly being better protected/more cautious. Also, masking may be reducing viral loads in those infected, and there could potentially get seasonal factors at play also (although this last one is much more speculative).

33 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

one saving grace is the virus has lost its potency from spring.

We're testing about 4x as much, I am sure actual caseload was much higher in the spring than numbers suggested.

Also, outbreaks in hospitals and care homes burned through our weaker/most vulnerable population early. Kind of like how dry, dying branches are the first to burn in a forest fire, resulting in a forest being less vulnerable/susceptible to future fires (or in this case, virus waves). It's unlikely virus potency is any worse or less than before, especially given that coronaviruses in general are fairly stable (in that they typically don't mutate to become any more or less severe over time).

hasn’t happened yet during this, and unlikely to any time soon.

Nor should it. These are the people of this country driving this. I’m tired of the government and all these people complaining about the government. Honestly I’m just glad bartenders and waiters are able to make decent money again.

Let’s just be honest, the vast majority of people are over caring about this. Quite frankly I give my company kudos for keeping their work from home rules. It does show discipline
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

35 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Nor should it. These are the people of this country driving this. I’m tired of the government and all these people complaining about the government. Honestly I’m just glad bartenders and waiters are able to make decent money again.

Let’s just be honest, the vast majority of people are over caring about this. Quite frankly I give my company kudos for keeping their work from home rules. It does show discipline

You saying this doesn't make it true. We would be seeing far more rapid spread (close to Ro) if the majority of people weren't following public health guidance. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

You saying this doesn't make it true. We would be seeing far more rapid spread (close to Ro) if the majority of people weren't following public health guidance. 

Not only that but nationally the numbers don't show that and especially in states other than the south numbers don't show that.

Just now, Stebo said:

Not only that but nationally the numbers don't show that and especially in states other than the south numbers don't show that.

The data just doesn't support people are living their lives completely normally. Mobility data is well below baseline and mask use has come up generally. It's why there isn't 500k cases and 1000 and 1000s of covid deaths a day. 

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america?view=social-distancing&tab=trend

• Like 2

Just now, nwohweather said:

What are you talking about? The last few pages have been nothing but talk of how the numbers are spiking in the Northern states

I'm talking about this fatigue you were talking about, that people are over caring about this. That just simply is not true.

• Like 1

I'm talking about this fatigue you were talking about, that people are over caring about this. That just simply is not true.

https://rt.live

As you can see the Southern states are quite low currently on R0 compared to Western and Midwestern states. But please keep putting your political opinions above scientific data. Is this a Donald Trump account?
  • Weenie 2