Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

So many people use Sweden as a crutch to keep shit open. Looks like that one is falling flat as a pancake.

Wide scale lockdowns were ineffective.  No need to go back to them and damage our economy even more while putting more people out of work.  Localized restrictions maybe. 

• Weenie 2

Wide scale lockdowns were ineffective.  No need to go back to them and damage our economy even more while putting more people out of work.  Localized restrictions maybe. 

i don’t think some of you understand what a lockdown really is. no one in this country has had a lockdown.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

As far as the partial lockdowns/stay at home orders, I don't think there was much of an alternative in the beginning... especially in the more populated states.  Testing was very hard to come by and masks were not being encouraged for the general public.  It could have gotten completely out of control if business had carried on as normal.  More is known now about the virus and testing has gotten a lot better, so more targeted approaches can be taken.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Please explain to me how you know that "wide scale lockdowns" didn't work. Are you the Flash? Did you travel to a different timeline to check what things would be like without the safety measures we put in place?

I mean, at least put a little effort into a response.  There are studies all over about this.  

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/herd-immunity-lockdowns-and-covid-19

"However, these measures can have a profound negative impact on individuals, communities, and societies by bringing social and economic life to a near stop. Such measures disproportionately affect disadvantaged groups, including people in poverty, migrants, internally displaced people and refugees, who most often live in overcrowded and under resourced settings, and depend on daily labour for subsistence."

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3

22 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

I mean, at least put a little effort into a response.  There are studies all over about this.  

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/herd-immunity-lockdowns-and-covid-19

"However, these measures can have a profound negative impact on individuals, communities, and societies by bringing social and economic life to a near stop. Such measures disproportionately affect disadvantaged groups, including people in poverty, migrants, internally displaced people and refugees, who most often live in overcrowded and under resourced settings, and depend on daily labour for subsistence."

Okay. If we're gonna play the "google sites and link them and call it effort" game, then here you go. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/06/09/872441984/modelers-suggest-pandemic-lockdowns-saved-millions-from-dying-of-covid-19

"In addition to the paper from Bhatt and his colleagues, Nature also published a separate study from the Global Policy Lab at the University of California, Berkeley. That study analyzed lockdowns in China, South Korea, Iran, France, Italy and the United States. It found that the lockdowns in those six countries averted 62 million confirmed cases."

The WHO article you linked states immediately before your quote that "WHO recognizes that at certain points, some countries have had no choice but to issue stay-at-home orders and other measures, to buy time."

The WHO article you linked states immediately after your quote that "Governments must make the most of the extra time granted by ‘lockdown’ measures by doing all they can to build their capacities to detect, isolate, test and care for all cases; trace and quarantine all contacts; engage, empower and enable populations to drive the societal response and more."

Let's analyze that last bit there. In your opinion, exactly how good of a job did the United States Government do of engaging, empowering, and enabling populations to drive the societal response to Covid-19? 

Let there be no mistake. If it weren't for the "shutdown" that our country entered into at the start of this pandemic, we would have had a ton of overflowing hospitals. I don't care how many articles you can find that argue otherwise, that's just sheer common sense. You're right, I must admit that ideally, the lockdown wouldn't have gone on for nearly as long as it had to, because ideally we would have been unified by this threat like we were by 9/11 or a catastrophe of that sort rather than being divided. But we, the American People, chose to fuck ourselves instead. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

The death toll will undoubtedly go up in a couple of weeks unfortunately. 

Deaths have been just about flatlined for the past 5-6 weeks, but it is only a matter of time.  The only hope is that the rise comes in under projections.  Because of how this goes with incubation period and illness progression, we have already largely sealed our fate for at least the next 1-2 weeks.  But we have the ability to control the trajectory beyond that (not that we will).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Deaths have been just about flatlined for the past 5-6 weeks, but it is only a matter of time.  The only hope is that the rise comes in under projections.  Because of how this goes with incubation period and illness progression, we have already largely sealed our fate for at least the next 1-2 weeks.  But we have the ability to control the trajectory beyond that (not that we will).

Exactly. It's in our hands how this goes 

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

As far as the partial lockdowns/stay at home orders, I don't think there was much of an alternative in the beginning... especially in the more populated states.  Testing was very hard to come by and masks were not being encouraged for the general public.  It could have gotten completely out of control if business had carried on as normal.  More is known now about the virus and testing has gotten a lot better, so more targeted approaches can be taken.  

Yeah the stay at home except for essential or grocery stores or banks or pharmacies or fast food or etc... eventually it gets to the point that it is completely ineffective if most people are still out. That is why people here don't understand a true lockdown.

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

With as many cases as we are getting now all ships rise with the sea, deaths will go up as hospital beds go away.

• Weenie 1

dta1984 and Hoosier said more or less the same thing.  dta1974 gets two weenie tags, the same two people like Hoosier's post.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Weenie 3

10 hours ago, dta1984 said:

These 2 posts are not saying the same thing at all.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yeah the stay at home except for essential or grocery stores or banks or pharmacies or fast food or etc... eventually it gets to the point that it is completely ineffective if most people are still out. That is why people here don't understand a true lockdown.

So you would prefer a true lockdown?

1 minute ago, dta1984 said:

So you would prefer a true lockdown?

If it meant a complete stoppage of this virus then yes or as close as possible to a true lockdown. Right now you have things exploding all over the world and it is only going to get worse. Every day I risk my life going to work while people fly to god knows where mostly for pleasure at this point as work related travel has gone down substantially. It is selfish behavior driving things at this point.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stebo said:

If it meant a complete stoppage of this virus then yes or as close as possible to a true lockdown. Right now you have things exploding all over the world and it is only going to get worse. Every day I risk my life going to work while people fly to god knows where mostly for pleasure at this point as work related travel has gone down substantially. It is selfish behavior driving things at this point.

Stebo there is no stopping the virus -- as several doctors have told me it will infect mostly everyone. Not sure how you consider people traveling to be selfish. If they are healthy they are doing what they should be doing -- living life normally (assuming they are taking the necessary safety precautions). Looking at it from a different perspective -- is it selfish for those that have (controllable) chronic conditions who are at a higher risk for complications to expect the healthy population to lockdown? 

• Weenie 2

Just now, NEOH said:

Stebo there is no stopping the virus -- as several doctors have told me it will infect mostly everyone. Not sure how you consider people traveling to be selfish. If they are healthy they are doing what they should be doing -- living life normally (assuming they are taking the necessary safety precautions). Looking at it from a different perspective -- is it selfish for those that have (controllable) chronic conditions who are at a higher risk for complications to expect the healthy population to lockdown? 

Increasing spread across the country so readily. You say they are healthy, I hear passengers coughing and hacking all the time at work. People are selfish, careless, and ignorant, they don't care about anyone but themselves and it shows.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Increasing spread across the country so readily. You say they are healthy, I hear passengers coughing and hacking all the time at work. People are selfish, careless, and ignorant, they don't care about anyone but themselves and it shows.

Spreading what if they are healthy? People coughed and hacked long before COVID. Man you are paranoid and negative. And that's true, people do care more about themselves as they should. 

• Weenie 1

Just now, NEOH said:

Spreading what if they are healthy? People coughed and hacked long before COVID. Man you are paranoid and negative. And that's true, people do care more about themselves as they should. 

There are thousands of people coming through this airport daily, so yes I am paranoid that an outbreak could happen here. Its sad that you see this as no big deal.

23 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Only about 10% of the US has been infected. And all the information for vaccine development has been quite favorable...we might be only months away from widespread implementation (early 2021). It will only infect everyone if the vaccine took a few more years to develop imo. If it's here in the Spring, herd immunity will not have to be achieved through natural infection. 

Besides, there are advantages to slowing down infection, like better treatments, and less overwhelmed hospitals. So restrictions do prevent covid deaths. 

• Like 3