Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1-2 storm threat

ORH_wxman

3 minutes ago, Ogmios said:

All westward movements are now misses again , clearly the writing is on the wall on this one.  So it it is time to move on and punt the football towards the cutters that the models want to predict.

You should probably integrate the euro and the euro ensemble into your forecast process. 

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

As I said... no expectations. The models moved west at 00z and moved back East at 6z. It is what it is.

Im not going to whine about missing a few inches of slop in late January, just Discussing possible outcomes 

The Euro never went west. Probably time to unpin this failure.

image.png

Just now, dendrite said:

The Euro never went west. Probably time to unpin this failure.

image.png

Meh... everything else did. The euro has blown just as bad if not worse than everything else for this “threat”, so the other models moving was interesting. Obviously with the shift back at 6z it was just a head fake.

And yeah.... time to punt this one to the moon 

Why do  the models lately...especially with the last couple storms(this one has been especially bad with this flip flopping) show a jump in one direction, only to go back the other way so drastically the very next run?  And at very short lead times.   IMO this is very odd, and not what used to happen in most cases.

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Why do  the models lately...especially with the last couple storms(this one has been especially bad with this flip flopping) show a jump in one direction, only to go back the other way so drastically the very next run?  And at very short lead times.   IMO this is very odd, and not what used to happen in most cases.

I share the same thoughts. Perhaps it's just related to just how complex the pattern is with so much moving pieces. There are other issues which I hypothesize as well (mentioned them a few times over the past few weeks) but with pretty much zero background in model development and how all that works...my hypotheses has little merit. 

The whole argument that the pattern is too complex and giving the models trouble is BS imo. What, like there hasn't been a complex or even more complex pattern in the past?. Here's hoping that next winter we can smooth out these whole sale changes, especially inside 84 hrs. We're inside 24hrs now and there is still no consistency. Forecast models have 1"- 12" for my hood...lol

22 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Models used to be worse with flip-flopping IMHO....we see more gradual trends now than we did a decade to two decades ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I wish we could go back to the models from 15-20 years ago so weenies could see how lucky they have it now. 

I remember in the Feb 2006 blizzard, the old ETA totally whiffed us on the 06z run the night before...and I mean total whiff like northwest of I-95. Might be one of the worst 12-18 hour forecasts I've ever seen....very next run it was back to hitting us with 10-20 inches.

I bet nobody remembers the Euro going way east before 12/9/05 (probably because they didn't have the fancy QPF graphics and clown maps they have now).

Even slightly more recently, I feel like everyone has forgotten some of those very hard trends northward on the SWFEs of 2007 to 2009 in the final 48h....maybe NYC weenies remember better....they got taken out of the snow frequently on those.