Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 8th, 2020 Coastal - little critter

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Not a big fan of seeing short term guidance like hrrr and rap so paltry. Usually one of those would be going to town if we're gonna see a NW surprise. Throw the rpm in there too. 

I didnt think the 6z Euro looked any better. Less than an inch for most cept Cape and Islands. With HRRR paltry it's going to take a bigger wholesale shift by 18z in those meso models. Too bad

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Not a big fan of seeing short term guidance like hrrr and rap so paltry. Usually one of those would be going to town if we're gonna see a NW surprise. Throw the rpm in there too. 

Yeah they aren't really flagging a big surprise quite yet. RAP always seems to be too far NW after hr 18 or so and that is borderline to like the canal for larger stuff right now.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

I didnt think the 6z Euro looked any better. Less than an inch for most cept Cape and Islands. With HRRR paltry it's going to take a bigger wholesale shift by 18z in those meso models. Too bad

Really? I thought 6z euro def looked better. Doesn't help most of us but that was probably pretty decent for S RI and SE MA

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah they aren't really flagging a big surprise quite yet. RAP always seems to be too far NW after hr 18 or so and that is borderline to like the canal for larger stuff right now.

Yeah I'm bracing for the messenger shuffle today unless we see a quick change in that short term guidance. They are prob telling us something. 

Man, the short term guidance really gets that initial forcing really far west. Like E/C PA to BGM but then t just dries up and the newer forcing takes over south of the islands and LI. Nice gap in the middle where most of us are screwed. 

Theres gonna be a ton of radar hallucinations today as it will look like a big hit for all of SNE for a time before that initial forcing gets handed off to the offshore stuff. 

Hopefully with each passing run we see a delay in the offshore stuff becoming dominant. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Man, the short term guidance really gets that initial forcing really far west. Like E/C PA to BGM but then t just dries up and the newer forcing takes over south of the islands and LI. Nice gap in the middle where most of us are screwed. 

Theres gonna be a ton of radar hallucinations today as it will look like a big hit for all of SNE for a time before that initial forcing gets handed off to the offshore stuff. 

Hopefully with each passing run we see a delay in the offshore stuff becoming dominant. 

You can see it at 700. I was playing around with the H7 winds and there is a nice jet there into PA. That weakens and then the offshore one takes over like you said. So the precip sort of shrivels up as it moves east before re-developing to the south. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

May be the messenger shuffle going on, Edit: Just saw above you mentioned this lol

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You can see it at 700. I was playing around with the H7 winds and there is a nice jet there into PA. That weakens and then the offshore one takes over like you said. So the precip sort of shrivels up as it moves east before re-developing to the south. 

This was why I felt the globals for a time early yesterday were west of the mesos.  They will usually overplay precip in what will be the dead in between zone in these setups.  It was pretty much the cause of regular busts back in the 80s/90s on these events 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That is gonna make this all the more annoying. 

Just now, Kitzbuhel Craver said:

That is gonna make this all the more annoying. 

This always happens with these storms but usually in normal speed flow it occurs 200-300 miles further south on a system that originated down in the TN Valley but since this sucker is in such insanely fast flow that transfer is occurring in SNE or in the NYC corridor