Including the cities of McConnellsburg, Chambersburg, Newport,
Harrisburg, Hershey, Lebanon, Carlisle, Gettysburg, York,
and Lancaster
201 AM EST Tue Jan 7 2020

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 7 PM EST
THIS EVENING...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of one to three
  inches.

* WHERE...Portions of central Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...From noon today to 7 PM EST this evening.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
  conditions will impact the evening commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Steadiest snow and greatest travel impacts
  expected this afternoon, with up to one inch per hour snowfall
  rates possible between 1 pm and 6 pm.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and Pennsylvania
Turnpike Commission remind motorists to adjust speeds based on
driving conditions as winter weather impacts will include snow
covered roads and limited visibility.

Call 5 1 1 or visit www.511pa.com for the latest travel, roadway
and traffic conditions.

To report snow or ice, post to the NWS State College Facebook
page, use Twitter @NWSStateCollege, or visit weather.gov/ctp.

&&

$$

DEVOIR

Overnight models have bumped back north with precip, getting a good majority of the subforum into snow today.. even up to IPT. Here's one of the 6z NAM snowmaps. It may be one of those positive snow depth algorithms. The Cobb method, which I believe is the one that incorporates the actual snow growth region with it's ratio calculation has a stripe of 6"+ running the mason-dixon line. That's an indication that aloft, the column is cold enough to support better than 10:1. The ground truth will probably be tempered a bit though with initially marginal surface temps. A quick snowfall but if we get some fairly robust rates I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 or 4 inches in spots along the southern tier. Here's to some + snow before the mess and warm weather at the end of the week.

nam-null--usne-24-C-new_snowtotk_whitecounty.thumb.png.6675086804a8995be8290c1cb7b22ee4.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Overnight models have bumped back north with precip, getting a good majority of the subforum into snow today.. even up to IPT. Here's one of the 6z NAM snowmaps. It may be one of those positive snow depth algorithms. The Cobb method, which I believe is the one that incorporates the actual snow growth region with it's ratio calculation has a stripe of 6"+ running the mason-dixon line. That's an indication that aloft, the column is cold enough to support better than 10:1. The ground truth will probably be tempered a bit though with initially marginal surface temps. A quick snowfall but if we get some fairly robust rates I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 or 4 inches in spots along the southern tier. Here's to some + snow before the mess and warm weather at the end of the week.

nam-null--usne-24-C-new_snowtotk_whitecounty.thumb.png.6675086804a8995be8290c1cb7b22ee4.png

Timing looks pretty rough for the evening rush down this way. That, and some 1-2" -1"/hour rates could make this an event with some impact. 

Also, it's in and out in just a few hours...

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Timing looks pretty rough for the evening rush down this way. That, and some 1-2" -1"/hour rates could make this an event with some impact. 

i was just telling a co-worker the timing for this sucks, as we have to deal with the farmshow traffic already, now add the "first snow" of the season <_<

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I’m looking forward to possibly my best snow event of the season.  All that I need to get there is to top a “heavy coating” !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I’m looking forward to possibly my best snow event of the season.  All that I need to get there is to top a “heavy coating” !

2 things to watch out for:

• How warm does it get today? (and how much sun we get before it becomes overcast will dictate that)
  • What kind of rates will we get? (in early January, if we can get some decent rates we should overcome any warmth rather quickly) 

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

• How warm does it get today? (and how much sun we get before it becomes overcast will dictate that)
  • What kind of rates will we get? (in early January, if we can get some decent rates we should overcome any warmth rather quickly) 

Good points.

The timing should help with the bulk of the decent precip arriving in late afternoon to early evening.

Also, dew points are in the low 20’s, so even though surface temps might be above freezing, they should wetbulb down nicely when decent precip arrives.

• Like 1

Glad I'm taking some extra time off from work as I contemplate my next move with regard to my mother's slowly failing health in AZ. I would have come totally unglued if I had to deal with snow the first few days back from the long holiday break, in which the weather was mild and benign.

8 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

I'll get on the GFS and HuRRR train, as that model's been pretty well north with the precip as well since we've gotten into HRRR range. Otherwise this system's getting just close enough for me to see someone like Cashtown probably double up my 3" on season totals to date. 

Yeah I’m just glad to see the consensus showing up. I’m not sure if I cracked 3” yet.   

beggars we are. 

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Not worried about the warmth.  DP's are low and while we may "lose" a bit of snow early on while column cools, your second bullet should "fix" that.

Waaayyy down here in the LSV we MIGHT get a little bit of white rain, but I'd think it very minimal.  

9 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Not worried about the warmth.  DP's are low and while we may "lose" a bit of snow early on while column cools, your second bullet should "fix" that.

Waaayyy down here in the LSV we MIGHT get a little bit of white rain, but I'd think it very minimal.  

Agreed, assuming that the rates are in fact legit. Some of the cams in VA are pretty impressive...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

If rates are good, we might be set up for a nasty commute. I'm just crossing fingers this happens. 

Based on model consensus, I think slippy PM commute is a given.  At T-6 hours to onset, I'm not sure enough can go wrong for a true miss for much of CTP/LSV.  I wouldnt be suprisded to see nooners tick a bit S (based on years of model watching), but that still keeps most in the game (except maybe IPT).  Thats just a hunch though.

One of the nice things about this storm, is that its evolution has been similar to what we are traditionally used to, as it crept back to us inside 72hrs...which happens quite frequently.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Based on model consensus, I think slippy PM commute is a given.  At T-6 hours to onset, I'm not sure enough can go wrong for a true miss for much of CTP/LSV.  I wouldnt be suprisded to see nooners tick a bit S (based on years of model watching), but that still keeps most in the game (except maybe IPT).  Thats just a hunch though.

One of the nice things about this storm, is that its evolution has been similar to what we are traditionally used to, as it crept back to us inside 72hrs...which happens quite frequently.  

Now let's hope the end of January brings about positive news!

24 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

1-2PM start time?

35 minutes ago, canderson said:

Now let's hope the end of January brings about positive news!

as i posted yesterday, ENS guidance it starting to open doors for the way out of this crappy regime.  Still concerned about a few things, but seeing the Aleutian and Scandy ridging changes gives hope that a new regime will be coming once we get beyond 10 days.  Still a long ways out, so caution is definitely warranted.

If one looks over nooners so far, the guy who really needs to worry about getting jipped......

is me.

based on LP evolution best forcing shows cashtown taking all the marbles again, and then Lanco snow dome goes into full effect.  Nam's and GFS see this.  Could just be noise, but....it has my attention.  I think most here are going to enjoy a nice interlude between the episodes of ugliness.

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

Have fun bud, we'll live without this one.

3 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Have fun bud, we'll live without this one.

Unfortunately this one "wasn't for you".  Dont worry, I live on the other side of that, so i know all too well how that feels.  Maybe next one likes you more.

Say what you will, but I'd trade places with you in a heartbeat.  I LOVE Lyco and would live there in a heartbeat.  Ever since college it had me.

Just now, pasnownut said:

Unfortunately this one "wasn't for you".  Dont worry, I live on the other side of that, so i know all too well how that feels.  Maybe next one likes you more.

Say what you will, but I'd trade places with you in a heartbeat.  I LOVE Lyco and would live there in a heartbeat.  Ever since college it had me.

It's a very pretty place with lots of good hiking once outside of Williamsport...def agree. Have a feeling this one may surprise you guys in a good way!

37 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Popped in to see how things were going...surface temps seem a tad warm right now and DP's are already in the mid 20's but like the latest GFS depiction of really putting the LSV  just on the other side of the R/S line making it jackpot town.  It's where you want to be.  

I’m over your way at the eye doctor.   Nothing yet but radar looks great.   

35/24 back at house 

1 minute ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

I’m over your way at the eye doctor.   Nothing yet but radar looks great.   

35/24 back at house 

And I am in Florida.  LOL.  That band of heavy snow out near Cumberland looks to have Franklin and Adams in its sights.    Our areas look great if the qpf gets into them. 

image.png.73c24e31147fa76abbf950be8b2f4739.png