• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Late Dec 2019/Jan 2020

MAG5035

The old PA Farm Show snow rule could be in effect this year.

This is the best looking GEFS run that I have seen in some time. Of course, take snow maps at long range with a grain of salt, but for the purpose of spotting trends, they help to tell the possible story.

Most of the snow on this 6z GEFS map falls during the Farm Show week! It looks like the possibility of a few events. There are some nice hits among the individual ensemble members.

557407B4-3807-45A4-A913-642909AF54FB.png

9E3DD27F-C37E-48E9-BE26-DECE4A830ECC.png

1 hour ago, canderson said:

It’s a great day.

If it were early late April.

34 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Was on Sideling Hill range east of Breezewood and it was 63 and more that an hour in the sun would have produced a burn on sensitive people.  Great day to be outside.  

Took my wife on a walk on the local river trail after the Cotton Bowl and I was sweating pretty good. Gorgeous spring day! 

Until we snow I'm fine with this weather. 

• Like 1

It does appear we will set up for a more solid shot of cold toward the end of next week as we finally build some heights out west and in the Pac and dump a trough into the east. First though, we probably go through another potentially wet outcome late week as the potential system in that realm looks vulnerable to cutting with energy dumping into the west and driving up heights in the east. 500 pattern doesn't look bad overall prior to that this week with below normal heights across a majority of the US the first half of the week but not a lot of cold thats tapped quite yet. We should see a few seasonal days and probably some snow showers in the central and western mountains behind tomorrow into Mon's system. 

Models are in good agreement currently with this more significant pattern shift and cold shot beyond this week. The main questions being of course if we can score some opportunities and will it actually have some staying power (and at the current modeled strength). The current long range eventually really builds a central Pac ridge, which coupled with a -PNA, continued low heights overall near the pole (+AO) and no real blocking in the NAO realm still presents a potentially flawed pattern going forward. I'm talking beyond D8-10 with that, so nothing set in stone by any stretch of the imagination. 

If you think about it, you erase that lucky strike mid November snowstorm last year (which could have easily happened this November) and we're just about where we were at this time last year. A lot of us were shut out last December, which didn't quite happen this year, but we were looking towards the 2nd week or so of January for things to turn. Kinda why I'm not a fan of the cold November, you set up a good overall longer term pattern and typically they'll break down/transition after 30 days or so. The issues are a bit different this year, but we're still quite early in the game. If we get a decent pattern to set in as progged at the end of the week and it stick for a time.. we're only into the second week of January. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, daxx said:

I think we are seeing the light at the end of tunnel!  Only 7 to 8 days yet.  

At least for a couple days. The 12z eps gets ugly again a short time after our small widow.  I think I'm going to wait awhile to post. Hopefully in a week the models will be more consistent.  Have a happy New Year!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daxx said:

At least for a couple days. The 12z eps gets ugly again a short time after our small widow.  I think I'm going to wait awhile to post. Hopefully in a week the models will be more consistent.  Have a happy New Year!

Yeah, I think we need to just work our way through mid week and see what the next cold shot can deliver.  Beyond day 10 looks like an ugly ridge reload, but I'm not sweating it yet.  Subtle changes will come....good or bad.  

Happy New Year to all.

@Cashtown_Coop we were touching a bit on micro climates a couple weeks back, with the ice in your back yard and 40's and 50's in mine, and I just spent the day in Thurmont, Cascade, and Pen Mar mired in fog and mid 40's and arrived home to sunny and low 60's.  Just a couple miles apart.  This pic tells it all.  My development is the white group of houses just to the left of the silo at 1/4 way up the mountain and just a few hundred further up the temps drop 10-15 degrees in what looks like the top of a marshmallow sundae when taken a  mile back away from my place..  Cool and sad at the same time (why I rarely get ice storms).

image.thumb.png.6ac0d1f0bac054149bb2403aa42a3369.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

@Cashtown_Coop we were touching a bit on micro climates a couple weeks back, with the ice in your back yard and 40's and 50's in mine, and I just spent the day in Thurmont, Cascade, and Pen Mar mired in fog and mid 40's and arrived home to sunny and low 60's.  Just a couple miles apart.  This pic tells it all.  My development is the white group of houses just to the left of the silo at 1/4 way up the mountain and just a few hundred further up the temps drop 10-15 degrees in what looks like the top of a marshmallow sundae when taken a  mile back away from my place..  Cool and sad at the same time (why I rarely get ice storms).

image.thumb.png.6ac0d1f0bac054149bb2403aa42a3369.png

I was wondering how things were on your side today.   I’ve been stuck in low clouds and fog with a high of 44 so far.   The vis sat really shows what you’re talking about.

15 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

I was wondering how things were on your side today.   I’ve been stuck in low clouds and fog with a high of 44 so far.   The vis sat really shows what you’re talking about.

Yep, my own little slice of summer.  Though the temps have dropped and the fog is creeping back down the mountain now.

image.png.efafe401f31cff2c7b48413dccf60258.png

11 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

The wind has backed around to the NE which prob brought the clouds back your way.    

It was about 400 feet away an hour ago and down under 200 now.  LOL.  I feel like I should be blaring a fog horn or something.  Interesting weather during our "winter" of 2019-2020.

image.thumb.png.3bfe024b7ab28e97c9e2fa3137756d73.png

I thought that with the year ending, today would be a good time to post this chart that CTP has on their website that shows the Harrisburg snow totals since 1980.

Looking back on the last 40 years is a good reminder that some of our memorable snow years were surrounded by bad snow seasons. The best example of that is the epic seasons of 93-94 & 95-96 had the terrible winter of 94-95 sandwiched in the middle.

I can’t imagine the sad state of this place During the run of bad winters of 05-06 to 08-09 or the pitiful period snow between 96-97 to 01-02.

This chart is a good reminder that for many years, snow lovers suffer while waiting for a good or great or even average winter season in our area.

Harrisburg has been on a very good run recently, with 5 out of the last 6 years exceeding the 30.9 inch average seasonal snow total. 

EE2E3DED-6E14-45E0-B7AD-D233964A2B58.png

• Like 2