Total Members
    Most Online
    LostInSomers
    Newest Member
    LostInSomers
40/70 Benchmark

Monday 12/2 Threat Disco

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

For the interior hills, I agree....I def wouldn't actually forecast that right now, but there is some potential this could bust pretty big positively....I wouldn't be shocked if weenie ridge in Princeton or even ORH didn't stop snowing for 40+ hours in this.

But there's still uncertainty in both parts of the storm....and in between, lol. But the trends are pretty auspicious the past 12 hours for something higher end.

BOS is gonna rain for a while, so a bit different for them...but it could be kind of weird in that they pound out 6"+ tonight, and then could go 10"+ monday night/Tuesday morning if things work out.

Talk dirty to me....

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

For the interior hills, I agree....I def wouldn't actually forecast that right now, but there is some potential this could bust pretty big positively....I wouldn't be shocked if weenie ridge in Princeton or even ORH didn't stop snowing for 40+ hours in this.

But there's still uncertainty in both parts of the storm....and in between, lol. But the trends are pretty auspicious the past 12 hours for something higher end.

BOS is gonna rain for a while, so a bit different for them...but it could be kind of weird in that they pound out 6"+ tonight, and then could go 10"+ monday night/Tuesday morning if things work out.

This is Dec '92 Lite..

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Lol...not a worry in the sense that I don't want it...but a worry in that nobody is really talking about it. There is a perception right now that Monday might be pretty fine for travel, when I'm not sure it is going to be at all.

Where would the focus of that be.  Only Sne or up here too?

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Too warm everywhere...GEM cuts back on my snow a bit due to surface warmth, which is BS

I can see sleet/zr drizzle tomorrow from 84 to pike to but this idea of 35f rain is a head scratcher. 

• Like 1

Good morning all. New to this subforum. I moved to Boston in May from Georgia and live in the Cambridge area. I've only experienced a few storms over 4" in my life. Does the ocean temperatures effect every storm like this? Or is it only early in the season when the water is relatively warm?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

Then there's the ICON.....off on it's own.

image.thumb.png.f239e72fc3939f5d27afe127dd0a9d1c.png

Not sure if people have noticed, but it isn't a very good model. At least not for North America

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vtrap90 said:

Good morning all. New to this subforum. I moved to Boston in May from Georgia and live in the Cambridge area. I've only experienced a few storms over 4" in my life. Does the ocean temperatures effect every storm like this? Or is it only early in the season when the water is relatively warm?

Welcome to the board and to your first NE winter.

The ocean will always have an impact.  Sometimes for the better, more often for the worse, but there's no denying it plays a big role.  For early season systems, the water's relativley warm compared to what you'll have now into March so it can sometimes do more damage.

Just now, vtrap90 said:

Welcome aboard to the snow capital. EMA folk will answer.

3 hours ago, vtrap90 said:

Yes to the first question ... 

sort of yes to the second ...

As the season progresses the ocean cools off considerably at our latitude.  Low 50s now may be 40 or even upper 30s at seasonal SST minimum ...usually late March or thereabouts.  In fact, an ocean influence can even help a spring nor-easter find it's way down to wet snow, where contrasting to early season it is a detriment  in that regard.

However, this situation has other meteorological, along with what are termed "local studies" factors to consider.  We get "coastal fronts" at times; this is a candidate for such a feature.  The warm ocean ( relatively warmer...) air doesn't penetrate west of those boundaries, and there can be impressive temperature variations across just a few short miles on either side.  Boston Common might be 44 F and misting/sheet rains and it's parachutes at 33 in Cambridge, and powdered snow up on Arlighton Heights... and even 50 F out at Logan Airport. 

We have a cold air mass entrenched across the area, and a high pressure banked into eastern Canada/Ontaria.  This latter feature perpetually feeds cold into the coastal plain and that flow banks off the warm ocean air and the coastal frontal evolves...  Cambridge is right on the fence... Coastal fronts can be aligned right over you... Sometimes west ... and other times, suppressed down toward SE zones. 

• Like 1

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

GEM has been consistently painting a very frustrating picture for me with a very sharp gradient just to my north.

Trended a hair north at 12z

You are worrying way too much. Enjoy 12-18.

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

When CT peeps talk about CT getting skipped over on the RGEM its like the state ends at the Manchester HVN line. I mean this is skipping? 6 hr totals and still pounding 

qpf_006h.us_ne.png

Anything east of Hartford might as well be Rhode Island.

• Sad 1