Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019

NYCweatherNOW

22 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Mid level warmth is usually under forecasted in these setups.  Almost every single time, I start hearing pingers after initial snow much sooner than progged.  It is almost a given. 

Not in this case.  This thing is strung out and weak.  I'm more concerned with QPF amounts than I am mid level WAA.  This is one that if we had a stronger disturbance could have dropped solid snow amounts.  But I am skeptical at the moment this may trend drier and drier.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Not in this case.  This thing is strung out and weak.  I'm more concerned with QPF amounts than I am mid level WAA.  This is one that if we had a stronger disturbance could have dropped solid snow amounts.  But I am skeptical at the moment this may trend drier and drier.

Any possibility of models picking up greater enhancement as we get closer? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NycStormChaser said:

Multiple cars stranded on the Cross Island right now due to flooding. 

Screenshot_20191214-095243_Gallery.jpg

That’s a bad road with no shoulders and bad drainage. That used to be a bypass for the van wyck...Now it has more traffic than the van wyck!

Pretty dense for up here in westchester for 10am. I thought it would lift as the day went on

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Any possibility of models picking up greater enhancement as we get closer? 

The question is if the overrunning aspect can produce when it bumps into the high.  You can see on most guidance and ensembles there is a period where the disturbance produces less QPF over OH/PA then invigorates again.  That is somewhat suspect unless we see that invigoration as a result of overrunning because the disturbance itself is not much to love.  One thing to like is the Euro likes this system and has been running hot lately.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The question is if the overrunning aspect can produce when it bumps into the high.  You can see on most guidance and ensembles there is a period where the disturbance produces less QPF over OH/PA then invigorates again.  That is somewhat suspect unless we see that invigoration as a result of overrunning because the disturbance itself is not much to love.  One thing to like is the Euro likes this system and has been running hot lately.

Thanks for the analysis.  What factors would strengthen overrunning?  Stronger HP to our northeast or different positioning of the HP?  Greater magnitude of blocking? 

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It’s like a muddy swamp out there. I just saw a mosquito with temperatures near 60 degrees here on Long Island. 

Farmingdale    FOG       55  54  96 S8        29.45S VSB 1/4
MacArthur/ISP  FOG       57  57 100 S10       29.45S VSB 1/4
Stony Brook      N/A     59  57  94 W2          N/A
Shirley        FOG       59  57  93 S9        29.45F VSB 1/2

That mosquito had to survive many many subfreezing hours since early November. Let it bite you...it probably has tonic that will let you live a long life :)

I do notice temps on LI seem exceptionally warm this morning. +9 or 10 from rest of the region

12 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It’s like a muddy swamp out there. I just saw a mosquito with temperatures near 60 degrees here on Long Island. 

Farmingdale    FOG       55  54  96 S8        29.45S VSB 1/4
MacArthur/ISP  FOG       57  57 100 S10       29.45S VSB 1/4
Stony Brook      N/A     59  57  94 W2          N/A
Shirley        FOG       59  57  93 S9        29.45F VSB 1/2

That mosquito had to survive many many subfreezing hours since early November. Let it bite you...it probably has tonic that will let you live a long life :)

I do notice temps on LI seem exceptionally warm this morning. +9 or 10 from rest of the region

5 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Haha. Long Island hasn’t been that cold this month. Islip should be close -1 after the warmth today. This was the 4th day above 50 degrees in December.

9 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Anything worth discussing around Christmas week or the weekend before? 

The models have a split flow looking pattern. A northern stream low through the GL and a southern stream disturbance. Not much in the way of cold air with a dominant Pacific flow. A really amped low would kick up the ridge ahead of it. Too weak and the southern stream could slide south. We would probably need some type of amazing thread the needle to make this set up work.

• Thanks 1

Just now, bluewave said:

The models have a split flow looking pattern. A northern stream low through the GL and a southern stream disturbance. Not much in the way of cold air with a dominant Pacific flow. A really amped low would kick up the ridge ahead of it. Too weak and the southern stream could slide south. We would probably need some type of amazing thread the needle to make this set up work.

I dont think it would be thread the needle with the AO crashing and the NAO going negative. 

The average forecast high for Central Park on December 13th is 44° so 50° is not a big deal. What's a big deal is temperatures in the teens for lows and highs in the 20s for Thursday and Friday this coming week really going to knock down the departures and looks very unlikely we'll finish with a positive departure for December

10 minutes ago, binbisso said:

The average forecast high for Central Park on December 13th is 44° so 50° is not a big deal. What's a big deal is temperatures in the teens for lows and highs in the 20s for Thursday and Friday this coming week really going to knock down the departures and looks very unlikely we'll finish with a positive departure for December

58 here.

3 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

58 here.

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
Central Park   CLOUDY    50  50 100 NW3       29.42F FOG
Bronx Lehman C   N/A     50  48  93 NW3         N/A
LaGuardia Arpt DRZL/FOG  50  48  93 NW7       29.40F VSB 3/4
Queens College   N/A     54  54 100 S5          N/A
Kennedy Intl   LGT RAIN  54  54 100 CALM      29.41F FOG
Breezy Point     N/A     50 N/A N/A N2          N/A
Brooklyn Coll    N/A     54  52  94 NW3         N/A
Staten Island    N/A     50  50 100 NE5         N/A
Newark/Liberty FOG       51  51 100 N7        29.40F VSB 1
Teterboro      CLOUDY    51  51 100 NE5       29.39F FOG
$$

15 minutes ago, binbisso said:

Looking over 2meter temperatures on today's 12z Global's so far it looks like we will be below freezing from about 21 Z Wednesday through 18z Sunday. This is not way out in Fantasyland either starting in about 4 days. that would be a pretty impressive cold for this time of year

Not impressive by any means. Below average. Yes. 

1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

I dont think it would be thread the needle with the AO crashing and the NAO going negative. 

The -AO and -NAO won’t matter if the fast Pacific flow doesn’t relax. Notice how the record Pacific Jet keeps knocking down the PNA. 

5DE2FCCB-66A0-462F-B914-74995B847E48.thumb.gif.dd3c8e42333834a110ead89e250d8110.gif