• Member Statistics

    15,527
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    jstev4506
    Newest Member
    jstev4506
    Joined
Jtm12180

Hurricane Dorian Banter Thread

Recommended Posts

Well thank goodness Josh is OK.

i wonder if this will effect his chase enthusiasm.

Remember  that video of him wading around in a lobby pushing some people on a mattress?

We got to have a get together for him around DC

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The damage I’ve seen out of the Abacos is easily some of the worst hurricane damage I’ve ever seen personally, up there with what you’d expect with significant tornado damage imo (in terms of just utter devastation, not in terms of EF-indicators and blah blah blah). Of course, their buildings probably aren’t the most amazing structures ever created - but it is still stunning. 

Reminiscent of Mexico Beach last year, except on a much more vast scale. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a regular here, but this really needs organization to provide help.

I'm thinking of 10,000 or so households that have lost everything and that are remote from any helping entity.

Is there a shuttle ferry or something similar (airport was under water afaik) to deliver basic supplies?

All we can do here is to send money, but who is a trustworthy recipient? Do any of the regulars here know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Not a regular here, but this really needs organization to provide help.

I'm thinking of 10,000 or so households that have lost everything and that are remote from any helping entity.

Is there a shuttle ferry or something similar (airport was under water afaik) to deliver basic supplies?

All we can do here is to send money, but who is a trustworthy recipient? Do any of the regulars here know?

I expect the government of that island may end up operating out of Nassau, which got a less significant blow (although had significant flooding despite no direct hit). The airport there was open but with obvious delays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When assessing damage, important to distinguish between surge and wind damage (there was a lot of both here) on Abacos. The building Josh was in was a brick school which was basically demolished with a few partial walls standing. No way Josh uses a building in a category 5 for shelter unless he feels its a strong structure. Also saw a video from someone in a car driving past what was clearly catastrophic wind damage. From aerials alone though it can be hard to distinguish though, especially since most stuff is low lying there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh Morgerman is my new wannabe person. Jim Cantore held that title for so many years...

I have never met him, never heard of him, maybe never seen any of his videos and barely anything he has written except a little with this storm.

He is like a brother to me now, so happy he lived. Josh, my new idol. Jim Cantore is out.

Yea, my preferred way to die is in a big tornado watching it approach with nothing left to cling onto (recurring dream). Hurricanes are second best, but I'd prefer the "moment" to be a little quicker. I'd rather be sucked up and hurled into the sky rather than beaten to death in a storm surge by debris. But either is way better than dying in a car wreck, by cancer, old age, or my least favorite concept, "To die in my sleep." Aurggh!

Stumbled on this "Banter" thread after joining AmericanWX with Dorian, so I am so such a newbie. But I tell you what, this Banter is a new home for me. I will be attacked for sure. But what fun, you all are insane as hell! Almost as good as an approaching tornado...

I may drive a few of you nuts as well.

What fun!!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Not a regular here, but this really needs organization to provide help.

I'm thinking of 10,000 or so households that have lost everything and that are remote from any helping entity.

Is there a shuttle ferry or something similar (airport was under water afaik) to deliver basic supplies?

All we can do here is to send money, but who is a trustworthy recipient? Do any of the regulars here know?

If you look around there are some reputable organizations that are looking for aid.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/09/03/hurricane-dorian-destroyed-bahamas-heres-how-you-can-help/2194099001/

Bahamas Red Cross, Salvation Army among others - links in the USA Today story above.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Prospero said:

Josh Morgerman is my new wannabe person. Jim Cantore held that title for so many years...

I have never met him, never heard of him, maybe never seen any of his videos and barely anything he has written except a little with this storm.

He is like a brother to me now, so happy he lived. Josh, my new idol. Jim Cantore is out.

Yea, my preferred way to die is in a big tornado watching it approach with nothing left to cling onto (recurring dream). Hurricanes are second best, but I'd prefer the "moment" to be a little quicker. I'd rather be sucked up and hurled into the sky rather than beaten to death in a storm surge by debris. But either is way better than dying in a car wreck, by cancer, old age, or my least favorite concept, "To die in my sleep." Aurggh!

Stumbled on this "Banter" thread after joining AmericanWX with Dorian, so I am so such a newbie. But I tell you what, this Banter is a new home for me. I will be attacked for sure. But what fun, you all are insane as hell! Almost as good as an approaching tornado...

I may drive a few of you nuts as well.

What fun!!!!!

 

From your location, you will reside in the SE forum. You won't drive me nuts for very long.

WELCOME!! :thumbsup:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Jims Videos said:

How badly will I be internet shamed if I post my Nassau and CoCoCay Perfect Day cruise photos we are supposed to be on in 2 weeks??? 

All kidding aside honestly I hope they change the itinerary.....

 

a cruise sounds awful.  the lowest common denominators of society fill those ships especially in September when prices are the cheapest.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Not a regular here, but this really needs organization to provide help.

I'm thinking of 10,000 or so households that have lost everything and that are remote from any helping entity.

Is there a shuttle ferry or something similar (airport was under water afaik) to deliver basic supplies?

All we can do here is to send money, but who is a trustworthy recipient? Do any of the regulars here know?

 https://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+help+hurricane+dorian+

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as Freeport, I think you will find most of the damage there will be from surge. Western part of the city never got into the eye wall and it was weakening some before it got there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SENC said:

About that Image going around?

huh, NO a Satellite CANNOT, "SEE" and take a clear Image picture, as posted on the Storm Mode thread..

(Showing the flooded parts of the Island)..

Sorry ya'll are DUPED again..

 Most satellites can't.

As the graph (below) shows, clouds reflect visible and infrared light quite well. In fact, visible light (approx. 0.4-0.7 microns in length) is more than 70% reflected by clouds! That means the light can't penetrate the cloud on the way down to earth, let alone penetrate the cloud on its way back up (satellites look down at angles ranging from 0-30 degrees) in order for the sensor to capture it.

https://www.quora.com/Can-satellites-see-through-clouds

Holy cheese on a cracker.   Are you one of those people that also believe the earth is flat?

That Island is absolutely, positively devastated.   There have been people sitting under Dorian for 24+ hours facing a natural disaster you likely cannot even begin to comprehend in your lifetime...and you’re going to spew some conspiracy theory bullshit?

I am late to the game here and rarely comment...you are a special kind of special.

Sit down.  Shut up.  Grow some humanity and stop with your juvenile crap about “if it was X it would look like *X*”

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Not a regular here, but this really needs organization to provide help.

I'm thinking of 10,000 or so households that have lost everything and that are remote from any helping entity.

Is there a shuttle ferry or something similar (airport was under water afaik) to deliver basic supplies?

All we can do here is to send money, but who is a trustworthy recipient? Do any of the regulars here know?

https://www.bahamas.com/relief?fbclid=IwAR3SPFnaLk5rRIvb6s6da0DCB1oWNsCyJLWwYvzxZ10f0Bdfollqfxmkrhk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jburns said:

From your location, you will reside in the SE forum. You won't drive me nuts for very long. 

WELCOME!! :thumbsup:

Not sure whether to say Thank You, or not. But thanks for now. :)

Nothing like jumping into a nest of rattlesnakes.

Having fun reading, censoring my thoughts as much as I can for now. I am not a met, but a storm fanatic since my first one in Charleston, South Carolina in 1966, I think. Still see like last night our lawn furniture taking to the sky like butterflies...giant trees falling down...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

People  on social media are angry at Josh and think he is just for the spot light. 

Well? It's how He makes His living, (though part time)..  NOW,,,

BIG $$$$$$ Coming His way…

Wouldn't you do it also?

 

I would,, I'll even spout the False Hoax; of AGW, provide video, screaming, staged antics, .. Even Nekkid 

Folks would LOVE ME Hey,, Josh is sexy, with that beard ,, While Showering Me with $$$$

Yeah, I gotta do, that too, I gotta a brand new water proof Camera, and a chance.. Ft. Fisher/Bald Head Island is My target/chaser video..  come Chursday 

I need a few dollars more..

Que up Clint Eastwood theme  

A Few Dollars more.. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those of us who have been around here awhile know of many of Josh's previous hurricane adventures.  I have always appreciated his courage and reporting. I was really worried for him this time, Patricia notwithstanding.   Good news!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

a cruise sounds awful.  the lowest common denominators of society fill those ships especially in September when prices are the cheapest.

 

It's only my second one.  Got a deal for my birthday.  But at least Royal Caribbean is already pledging to help.  I know exactly what you're talking about though.  

Screenshot_20190903-201721.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh's career peaked back when he was regularly posting here, but he's still making a pretty decent living for himself.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, drexelkathy said:

Holy cheese on a cracker.   Are you one of those people that also believe the earth is flat?

That Island is absolutely, positively devastated.   There have been people sitting under Dorian for 24+ hours facing a natural disaster you likely cannot even begin to comprehend in your lifetime...and you’re going to spew some conspiracy theory bullshit?

I am late to the game here and rarely comment...you are a special kind of special.

Sit down.  Shut up.  Grow some humanity and stop with your juvenile crap about “if it was X it would look like *X*” 

 

 

**“if it was X it would look like *X*” **

It's called being,, realistic in LIFE.. 

Maybe you should study it sometime..

Also known as a Dog Eat Dog Kinda World,, as obviously, yours is Sheltered.. 

Need a Blinky or Safe Space? .. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SENC said:

Well? It's how He makes His living, (though part time)..  NOW,,,

BIG $$$$$$ Coming Hisway…

Wouldn't you do it also?

 

I would,, I'll even spout the False Hoax; of AGW, provide video, screaming, staged antics, .. Even Nekkid 

Folks would <I> LOVE ME </I> ,, While Showering Me with $$$$

Yeah, I gotta do, that too, I gotta a brand new water proof Camera, and a chance.. Ft. Fisher/Bald Head Island is My target/chaser video..  come Chursday 

I need a few dollars more..

<I> Que up Clint Eastwood theme </I> 

A Few Dollars more.. 

 

Dream job, even more Nekkid. In fact, I'd pay to do that...even pay more to do it Nekkid!

Get paid to do what one wants to do anyway, paid to follow your passion? Even if you die doing it.

That's life, pure and simple. Living life!

If other's enjoy experiencing what you do from their sofa or PC, then you have hit the jackpot we all seek.

A 9 to 5 job, five days a week, security, fluff, being a sheep, following your leader when they cannot remember hearing of a Cat 5 after comforting homeless Americans in Mexico Beach just months ago after a Cat 5, UGH.

Give me Liberty, or Give me Death.

SENC, you may be making a joke, but you are speaking truth. Josh was crazy, brave, hit a jackpot if he is wise. I'd do it without a blink. (My wife would not approve, but hey we have to juggle our priorities.)

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Prospero said:

Dream job, even more Nekkid. In fact, I'd pay to do that...even pay more to do it Nekkid!

Get paid to do what one wants to do anyway, paid to follow your passion? Even if you die doing it.

That's life, pure and simple. Living life!

If other's enjoy experiencing what you do from their sofa or PC, then you have hit the jackpot we all seek.

A 9 to 5 job, five days a week, security, fluff, being a sheep, following your leader when they cannot remember hearing of a Cat 5 after comforting homeless Americans in Mexico Beach just months ago after a Cat 5, UGH.

Give me Liberty, or Give me Death.

SENC, you may be making a joke, but you are speaking truth. Josh was crazy, brave, hit a jackpot if he is wise. I'd do it without a blink. (My wife would not approve, but hey we have to juggle our priorities.)

 

I APPROVE of this Message 1000 likes X 10.. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Dream job, even more Nekkid. In fact, I'd pay to do that...even pay more to do it Nekkid!

Get paid to do what one wants to do anyway, paid to follow your passion? Even if you die doing it.

That's life, pure and simple. Living life!

If other's enjoy experiencing what you do from their sofa or PC, then you have hit the jackpot we all seek.

A 9 to 5 job, five days a week, security, fluff, being a sheep, following your leader when they cannot remember hearing of a Cat 5 after comforting homeless Americans in Mexico Beach just months ago after a Cat 5, UGH.

Give me Liberty, or Give me Death.

SENC, you may be making a joke, but you are speaking truth. Josh was crazy, brave, hit a jackpot if he is wise. I'd do it without a blink. (My wife would not approve, but hey we have to juggle our priorities.)

 

Reed Timmer does this as well for a living. Pretty much my dream job of all time, nothing else would come close a side from a professional hockey player and even then it would be close.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SENC said:

**“if it was X it would look like *X*” **

It's called being,, realistic in LIFE.. 

Maybe you should study it sometime..

Also known as a Dog Eat Dog Kinda World,, as obviously, yours is Sheltered.. 

Need a Blinky or Safe Space? .. ;)

It’s not called being realistic, it’s called being egotistic.

you seem to think YOU know better than everyone else what the devastation from a hurricane looks like.

Are you a professional?  A historian?  What qualifications do you have to make these sort of claims?  And how many years of experience?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Those of us who have been around here awhile know of many of Josh's previous hurricane adventures.  I have always appreciated his courage and reporting. I was really worried for him this time, Patricia notwithstanding.   Good news!

I am not sure if Josh has lots of courage or is a bit crazy to go chasing these hurricanes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright SENC, it's all starting to fit.

Big time skepticism of flood maps. Some allusions to this storm only being a cat 3. Prior skepticism of Michael's intensity last year.

And now a joking reference to storm chasing, and spouting the "False Hoax" of AGW. (which I had to look up, but apparently refers to global warming)

How far down the rabbit hole does the conspiracy go? :arrrg:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, drexelkathy said:

It’s not called being realistic, it’s called being egotistic.

you seem to think YOU know better than everyone else what the devastation from a hurricane looks like.

Are you a professional?  A historian?  What qualifications do you have to make these sort of claims?  And how many years of experience?

Over 40 years of experience In the Zone ..  Once on a spoil Island here..... 33.919850, -78.231715

During Bertha.. 

On the beaches & Spoil Islands.. (I was a commercial Fisher (person))..  and wanted to experience a Cane (On the beach) quite the interesting experience, that one.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.